Subject: ls from fileutils-4.0.43 segfaults

From: Karsten Merker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 22:40:18 +0200

Hallo everyone,

I have tried to install fileutils_4.0.43-1_mipsel.deb from
source.rfc822.org and found that "ls" segfaults, the other binaries seem
to be ok. So I have tried compiling it myself against glibc-2.2.2 on
repeat.rfc822.org and also on my DECstation, but the effect stays the
same.

On repeat we have:
bash> ld -v
GNU ld version 2.11.90.0.1 (with BFD 2.11.90.0.1)
bash> gcc -v
gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (Debian release)

On my DECstation I have:
bash> ld -v
GNU ld version 010330 (with BFD 010330)
bash> gcc -v
gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (Debian release)

Has anybody successfully build fileutils-4.0.43 against glibc-2.2.2?

I had fileutils built ok against glibc-2.0.6 before with 
bash> gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/mipsel-linux/egcs-2.90.29/specs
gcc version egcs-2.90.29 980515 (egcs-1.0.3 release)
bash> ld -v
GNU ld version 2.8.1 (with BFD 2.8.1)
(these contain Ralf's patches).

Greetings,
Karsten
-- 
#include <standard_disclaimer>
Nach Paragraph 28 Abs. 3 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
oder Uebermittlung meiner Daten fuer Werbezwecke oder fuer die Markt- oder
Meinungsforschung.

---

From: Daniel Jacobowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 17:43:13 -0400

> repeat.rfc822.org and also on my DECstation, but the effect stays the

Most likely you have a kernel with the sysmips() bug discussed on
linux-mips over the past month and a half or so; the archives have
Florian's workaround and other discussion.

-- 
Daniel Jacobowitz                           Debian GNU/Linux Developer
Monta Vista Software                              Debian Security Team

---

From: Keith M Wesolowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 21:33:05 -0700

> repeat.rfc822.org and also on my DECstation, but the effect stays the

As others have pointed out, you may be afflicted with the dreaded
sysmips bug.  I can confirm that my new toolchain builds a working ls,
among other wonders.  I'll be releasing a new make-cross-based package
very soon for all to enjoy.

-- 
Keith M Wesolowski <[email-masked]> http://foobazco.org/~wesolows
------(( Project Foobazco Coordinator and Network Administrator ))------
	"Nothing motivates a man more than to see his boss put
	 in an honest day's work." -- The fortune file

---

From: Karsten Merker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 20:14:28 +0200

> Florian's workaround and other discussion.

Oops - I should stop working in parallel with different kernel trees when
I am tired... You are right, I had built the kernel from a source tree
without the patch; after applying the patch, ls works.

Thanks,
Karsten