Subject: Re: indy R5000 with irix 6.5

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 00:03:30 -0700

hello,
I don't mean to be a complete moron but what are the EXACT steps i need to 
get a compiled kernel. I had downloaded the version 2.4 and attempted to 
make the kernel and i got syntax errors. Am I missing something??? I have 
gcc version 2.7 and cc version 7.3.
In general when looking at the various errors while compiling indy_mc.c 
they are things like not finding included files and not understanding 
declarations like
typedef __s8 int8_t;

Thanks
james

---

From: Keith M Wesolowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 23:22:18 -0700

> make the kernel and i got syntax errors. Am I missing something??? I have 

You're missing the FAQ from the sound of things.

> gcc version 2.7 and cc version 7.3.

gcc 2.7, while it served Sir Isaac Newton well, isn't going to build
linux 2.4.  In fact, in order to make that compile that far you must
have removed the "my compiler is too old" #error from init/main.c.
Did you think they put it there for fun?

You can use that fancy new cc to build yourself a copy of gcc 3.0.
While that's going on you'll have time to cruise over to
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/MIPS-HOWTO.html and read the
documentation.

-- 
Keith M Wesolowski <[email-masked]> http://foobazco.org/~wesolows
------(( Project Foobazco Coordinator and Network Administrator ))------
"I should have crushed his marketing-addled skull with a fucking bat."

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 15:56:01 -0500

> You're missing the FAQ from the sound of things.

Actually, (and I'm probably wrong) but it almost sounded to me like he's
trying to compile it in IRIX rather than linux.

-- 
Matthew Fredrickson AIM MatthewFredricks
ICQ 13923212 [email-masked] 
http://www.fredricknet.net/~matt/
"Everything is relative"