Subject: Re: rpm crashing on RH 7.0 indy

From: "Houten K.H.C. van (Karel)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 19:21:50 +0200

Hi Maciej,

"Maciej W. Rozycki" writes:
>On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Carsten Langgaard wrote:
>
>> Have the kernel fix made it into the CVS.
>> If not, could you please resent it.
>
> I do not consider it clean enough for inclusion into the official kernel
>at this stage.  It works, though.
>
> When appropriately cleaned up, I'll submit it to Linus as it's not
>MIPS-specific and affects all systems -- mmap() fails equally badly on an
>i386, for example.  No time to work on the patch at the moment, sorry.

I applied this patch to a 2.4.2 CVS checkout, and indeed,
the crashing rpm problem vanished.

Thanks Maciej!

Regards, 
Karel.

---

From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 15:46:31 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> So it may make sense to post the not-yet-cleant-up patch to linux-kernel now.
> Perhaps someone there has more time to clean it up.

 It already went there back in July, 2000.  I sent it again a few months
later again, IIRC (January 2001?).  I've received no response at all.  I'm
bored with sending patches into a black hole over and over again, sorry. 
I'll clean it up sooner or later and I will submit the resulting patch
then -- while no one is interested, Linus might accept it for the sake of 
correctness.

 Anyway, I can continue to live with a private patch, as I already do for
several months now -- the patch actually caused me no trouble at all since
-test4 as there were no conflicts with kernel patches so far.

  Maciej

-- 
+  Maciej W. Rozycki, Technical University of Gdansk, Poland   +
+--------------------------------------------------------------+
+        e-mail: [email-masked], PGP key available        +

---

From: Geert Uytterhoeven <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 08:29:29 +0200 (MET DST)

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven ------------- Sony Software Development Center Europe (SDCE)
[email-masked] ------------------- Sint-Stevens-Woluwestraat 55
Voice +32-2-7248626 Fax +32-2-7262686 ---------------- B-1130 Brussels, Belgium