Subject: Linux on a Tektronix XP217C xterm

From: Kaj-Michael Lang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 09:56:41 +0300 (EEST)

Any chance of getting linux running on a tektronix x-terminal ? It has
a LR33020 cpu, that I think is a R3000 integrated with some graphics
chip. I've tried searching for documentation for the chip but I didn't
find anything.

--
Kaj-Michael Lang, Turku, Finland
[email-masked] http://www.tal.org

---

From: Geert Uytterhoeven <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 10:00:38 +0200 (MET DST)

> chip. I've tried searching for documentation for the chip but I didn't

IIRC there's a different separate graphics chip in the 217. I think the 33020
is not a MIPS, but a RISC chip from LSI Logic.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven ------------- Sony Software Development Center Europe (SDCE)
[email-masked] ------------------- Sint-Stevens-Woluwestraat 55
Voice +32-2-7248626 Fax +32-2-7262686 ---------------- B-1130 Brussels, Belgium

---

From: Mike Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 17:59:42 +1000

> chip. I've tried searching for documentation for the chip but I didn't

I was wondering about these beasts the other day - I had one under my
desk when this email arrived.

Now I've cracked it open, what looks like the CPU is labelled ...

LR33120MC-40
MIPS GRAPHXCTLR

I'd be nice to get something running on these. I've got about half a
dozen of them scattered around the place.

Mike.

---

From: "Kaj-Michael Lang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 11:24:11 +0300

> is not a MIPS, but a RISC chip from LSI Logic.

LR33020/33120: Embedded R3000 for X-terminals; reimplemented core; static
design; 25 to 40 MHz; 4-kbyte instruction cache; 1-kbyte data cache;
graphics coprocessor with bitblt processor and DMA channel.

---

From: "Kevin D. Kissell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 10:50:37 +0200

> is not a MIPS, but a RISC chip from LSI Logic.

The 33xx0 family are MIPS-compatible designs that were done
in-house at LSI logic.  At the level of the user-mode instruction
set, they are compatible with MIPS-I/R3000 - indeed, the basic
pipeline looks like it was taken directly from the R3000.  But the
system coprocessor was radically modified and simplified and in
particular there is no TLB/MMU.  Standard Linux therefore won't fly
on it, though some variant of uClinux might.

            Regards,

            Kevin K.

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 14:07:29 +0100 (BST)

> chip. I've tried searching for documentation for the chip but I didn't

MMUless pseudo mips embedded CPU. Hardwired TLB's for KSEG etc. Also a few
other cute suprises such as multiply being interruptible and the irq handler
having to save cpu magic registers before doing another one.

Some of the 3com routers I hacked on used variants of these beasties. I suspect
its a ucLinux target unless you have one with loadable TLB's

---

From: Alan Olsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 12:21:53 -0700 (PDT)

> dozen of them scattered around the place.

Good luck.

The Tek X-term business was bought by NCD a couple of years back.  There
is no one left at NCD who remembers how those things work anymore.  (Last
time I was there they had NO hardware engineers and one software
engineer.) Why this occured is a long and Dilbertian story too long to fit
in the margin of this message.

You are on your own on that one...

[email-masked] | Note to AOL users: for a quick shortcut to reply
Alan Olsen            | to my mail, just hit the ctrl, alt and del keys.
    "In the future, everything will have its 15 minutes of blame."

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 16:51:26 -0300

> is not a MIPS, but a RISC chip from LSI Logic.

Which in turn is a MIPS licensee ...

  Ralf