Subject: MIPS 5Kc

From: Tim Nguyen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 09:55:34 -0700

Hello all,

Does anybody have any comments concerning the Alta board with a MIPS 5Kc 
running Linux.  I hear that Linux modules aren't fully supported in their 
reference 2.2.12 kernel.  Are there any other known issues with that kernel 
-- how about the 2.4.1 kernel?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Tim Nguyen

******************************************************
Tim Nguyen
Sr. Software Engineer
SimpleTech
3001 Daimler Street
Santa Ana, CA  92705
PH:	949-476-1180 x8838
FX:	949-851-2398
[email-masked]	www.simpletech.com
******************************************************

---

From: Pete Popov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 10:33:35 -0700

> -- how about the 2.4.1 kernel?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

You are probably referring to the "Malta" board from MIPS Tech.  The
2.4.2 kernel runs on that board so I would suggest using that.  We've
tested and support the Malta board with a 4kc part, but running it with
a 5kc part shouldn't be much of an issue.

Pete

---

From: Carsten Langgaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 08:11:13 +0200

There is no module support in the pre-compiled kernel images on the MIPS FTP
site, but you can just take the sources and recompile the kernel with module
support enabled.

/Carsten

---

From: Michael Shmulevich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 12:00:38 +0300

Tim Nguyen wrote:

> running Linux.  I hear that Linux modules aren't fully supported in 
> their reference 2.2.12 kernel.  Are there any other known issues with 
> that kernel -- how about the 2.4.1 kernel?  Any help will be greatly 
> appreciated.
> Regards,
> Tim Nguyen

Tim,

The kernel 2.2.12 form mips' ftp site has no modules support at all. The 
problem may be coming from the binutils bugs that were used to create 
the kernel image, which is 2.8.1 which reportedly (at least from our 
company) do not produce usable 'insmod'. It is not 5Kc - related stuff, 
we have several boards with such processors (including Malta and Atlas) 
and all of them exibited module problems with "old" toolchain (binutils 
2.8.1 - egcs 1.0.3a - glibc 2.0.6).

Newer kernel 2.4.x is also available from mips' ftp site, but we haven't 
checked it out yet.

-- 
Sincerely yours,
Michael Shmulevich
______________________________________
Software Developer
Jungo - R&D
email: [email-masked]
web: http://www.jungo.com
Phone: 1-877-514-0537(USA)  +972-9-8859365(Worldwide) ext. 233
Fax:   1-877-514-0538(USA)  +972-9-8859366(Worldwide)