Subject: Toolchain patches

From: Ilya Volynets <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 09:14:43 -0700

Hey people.
As we all well know, toolchain is one of major issues for Linux/MIPS.
Probably the worst one. Personally I had just gone through getting it
at least semi-straight, and blood, sweat, tears, and peaces of raw flesh
are still lying arround. I don't think I'd like my enemies to go through this.
Now, one of the reasons for this is that maintainers of some important
tools (like gcc :-) are little bit too concentrated on Inhell architecture.
They do not apply our patches, they do not fix bugs reported by us,
and in general hurt our feelings :). Of course we could start maintaining our
own trees for respective tools, but unfortunately we simply do not have
manpower right now for that (and many people would give lots of other
good arguments against this). So, I decided to put together at least
a page with collection of patches to toolchain, that didn't go into tree
to make life at least a bit easier.
Send comments, patches, and anything else, you see appropriate to me.
I hope to get initial page up in couple of days.
	Ilya.

---

From: Thiemo Seufer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 18:43:46 +0200

Ilya Volynets wrote:
[snip]
>They do not apply our patches, they do not fix bugs reported by us,

I don't know about gcc, but with binutils I haven't such problems
so far. Which of Your patches were rejected (and for what reason)?

Thiemo

---

From: Ilya Volynets <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 10:37:46 -0700

On Wednesday 30 May 2001 09:43, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> so far.
That's why I didn't mention them. GCC is my primary concern now.
> Which of Your patches were rejected (and for what reason)?
I'm not talking about myself, but if you mention it to Keith, for example,
you'll hear a lot of loud sound :).
In general I think collecting stuff that floats around into one central place
will be useful.

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 15:58:49 +0200

> you'll hear a lot of loud sound :).

He just loves to express his appreciation of The Evil Empire (TM) :-)

> In general I think collecting stuff that floats around into one central place

Alot of those patches are not suitable for public consumption or require
additional modifications etc.  For the casual user who doesn't want to
dive into system internal too deep they're generally not recommended.

  Ralf

The Evil Empire (TM) is a trademark of Ronald Raygun Industries.