Subject: Login problem on a serial console

From: Carsten Langgaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 11:42:16 +0200

I have just upgraded my kernel sources from 2.4.1 to the latest 2.4.3
sources, but after doing that I can't login on my serial console. It get
all the way up to the login prompt, but nothing happens when I try to
press a key.  So I figure that the serial line worked one way.
I have tried using a single shell (booted with "init=/bin/sh") and that
seemed to work fine, so I guess the serial driver works fine.

I'm running on both an Atlas and a Malta board, both seem to have the
same problem.
Has anyone any ideas ?

/Carsten

--
_    _ ____  ___   Carsten Langgaard   Mailto:[email-masked]
|\  /|||___)(___   MIPS Denmark        Direct: +45 4486 5527
| \/ |||    ____)  Lautrupvang 4B      Switch: +45 4486 5555
  TECHNOLOGIES     2750 Ballerup       Fax...: +45 4486 5556
                   Denmark             http://www.mips.com

---

From: Klaus Naumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 11:57:02 +0200 (CEST)

> I'm running on both an Atlas and a Malta board, both seem to have the

I think this has something to do with the fixes Bachus commited
lately. I think he changed something which made some getty's
not work anymore. Can you try an other getty ?

		Klaus

-- 
Full Name   : Klaus Naumann     | (http://www.mgnet.de/) (Germany)
Nickname    : Spock             | Org.: Mad Guys Network
Phone / FAX : ++49/177/7862964  | E-Mail: ([email-masked])
PGP Key     : www.mgnet.de/keys/key_spock.txt

---

From: Carsten Langgaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 12:19:52 +0200

> not work anymore. Can you try an other getty ?

I tried another getty and that seem to work, thanks.
Do you know what break things, so I could redo Bachus fixes ?

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 21:31:40 -0300

> Do you know what break things, so I could redo Bachus fixes ?

Bacchus is angry about your misspelling of his name and punishes you
by el cheapo vine not under 5l ;-)

It's a change in the architecture independant code of the kernel which
result in the kernel initializing the serial tty with the CREAD flag
cleared.  mingetty doesn't do a fully initialization of the terminal
but getty (from getty_ps) or mgetty do, so they work.

I'd consider that two bugs, one in the kernel and one in mingetty.  It
means a user can messup terminal settings so completly that logging off
wouldn't fix things but only root intervention or reboot.

  Ralf