Subject: NFS -13 error

From: "John D. Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 16:29:18 -0700 (PDT)

I am having a problem installing linux on a 4400 indy.  I downloaded a
"fixed" version from: honk.physik.uni-konstanz,de/linux-mips/install
and downloaded :
root-be-0.04.cpio

I also got the 2.4 vmlinux kernel from the sgi website.  I am trying to
load linux from another Indy running IRIX 6.2. Bootp and tftp seem to work
but the nfs mount fails with an error -13 and getfh says the file or
directory don't exist.  The /etc/hosts has the machine IP address and
name. /etc/ethers has the HW to IP address mapping.  I also modified the
/etc/bootptab and /var/dhcp/config/config... file.  The SYSLOG mount
request on server is this:

May  1 14:39:38 7D:littledipper mountd[861]: <unknown> mount request for
/tftpboot/171.64.72.150: getfh failed: No such file or directory

I set the client as root in /etc/exports:

/ld2 \
    ...
   -root=171.64.72.150,rw

The no_root_squash flag doesn't seem to apply for IRIX.  Should I be using
a different distribution of Linux for SGI?  The NFS mount error of
/tftpboot/171.64.72.150 is a directory that I did not specify.  Am I
missing something? I looked through the archives and searched for the info
on the web and did not find anything that helped.

Thank you for your assistance,
john davis

---

From: Guido Guenther <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 15:54:24 +0200

> "fixed" version from: honk.physik.uni-konstanz,de/linux-mips/install
This one is *very* outdated. Don't use it. It's there for purely
"historic reasons".
See
  ftp://ftp.uni-mainz.de/pub/Linux/debian-local/mips/
for an up to date root image.
 -- Guido

---

From: "John D. Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 17:15:59 -0700 (PDT)

I have downloaded the linux stuff and a kernel image(2.4.0-ip22) from the
site listed below.  I am getting a kernel panic.  I am nolonger getting
nfs errors. I added a link from /tftpboot/to the debian linux directory on
the server.  I guess dhcp_bootp doesn't have the right flag set or
something.  However, the message is:

>Kernel panic: I have no root and I want to scream.

Is there a flag that I need to set for the root? I have /etc/exports with
the -root=sgilinuxIPaddress,rw for the parent directory of the linux
distribution?  I have tried other vmlinux kernels and gotten the same type
of problem.  THe one from sgi says it can't mount fs and ask for root=.  I
have tried to set that at the bootp():vmlinux root=/linux but that did not
help either. Furthermore, I am not getting an mountd error on the SGI
server.  Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to install linux from an SGI Indy running IRIX over the
network.

thanks,
john davis

---

From: Guido Guenther <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 14:52:43 +0200

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 05:15:59PM -0700, John D. Davis wrote:
[..snip..] 
> >Kernel panic: I have no root and I want to scream.
You can try to give the rootfs on the prom command line e.g.:
bootp(): nfsroot=ip.of.your.nfsserver:/path/to/rootfs
See Documentation/nfsroot.txt in the kernel source for details.
[..snip..]
Regards, 
 -- Guido