Subject: SGI O2 Port

From: Keith M Wesolowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 18:52:11 -0700

Hi,

I'd like to encourage anyone interested in an SGI O2 port to try my
current CVS tree.  I have successfully reached userland with this
tree.  If you have an O2, please try this and let me know how it goes,
then send patches for all the broken stuff.

Note: This is a 64-bit port.  You will need a mips64 toolchain to
compile.

Known problems:

- Without CONFIG_UNCACHED, the PCI devices don't work properly
- Userland console I/O is very slow and seems unreliable
- Onboard ethernet isn't yet supported; you'll need a PCI one
- Serial console only at this time
- The disks probably work, but I haven't really tested them

Links

Boot log: http://foobazco.org/~wesolows/o2.txt
Toolchain: ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/mips-linux/simple/crossdev
Sources: :pserver:[email-masked]:/g/cvs mod linux pass cvs

Thanks: 

- Harald Koerfgen, for starting the 32-bit port.  Some of his code
still remains.

- Nick Brisebois, for the loan of an O2, assistance with
documentation, and lots of other stuff.

- The usual suspects, for providing the basis for all this.

-- 
Keith M Wesolowski <[email-masked]> http://foobazco.org/~wesolows
------(( Project Foobazco Coordinator and Network Administrator ))------
	"Nothing motivates a man more than to see his boss put
	 in an honest day's work." -- The fortune file

---

From: Rafal Boni <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 08:04:11 -0400

In message <[email-masked]>, Keith writes: 

-> I'd like to encourage anyone interested in an SGI O2 port to try my
-> current CVS tree.  I have successfully reached userland with this
-> tree.  If you have an O2, please try this and let me know how it goes,
-> then send patches for all the broken stuff.

What CPU's are supported currently?  Just the R5000, or are the R10k/R12k
supported as well?  (I realize that the latter two are harder to support,
but thought I'd ask nevertheless).

Thanks,
--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                              [email-masked]
 PGP key C7D3024C, print EA49 160D F5E4 C46A 9E91  524E 11E0 7133 C7D3 024C
    Need to get a hold of me?  http://800.edial.com/[email-masked]

---

From: Keith M Wesolowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 08:10:39 -0700

> but thought I'd ask nevertheless).

I have never built it for anything but r5k.  It's very likely that
52x0 will also run fine.  In theory r10k/r12k should work.  In
practice, however, I suspect that differences in the crime controllers
will make it impossible to boot; I can probably fix that.  As we run
uncached only at this time anyway, the spec writes thing should not be
an issue.

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 17:54:55 -0300

> uncached only at this time anyway, the spec writes thing should not be

Only an issue for R10k; R12k and beyond are sane in that respect.

  Ralf