Subject: new comer question

From: "julien" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 16:47:42 +0200

Hi all,

First of all, I apologize for asking this kind of questions here, as
there is not many ressources for sgi/linux.

I'm following this list's discussions since many months, and I decided
to get linux running on my Indy box (R4400, Newport gfx)... To do so, I
followed standard installation instructions and used the hardhat5.1
archive located at ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/redhat ...  I set up
the tftp / bootp / nfs root  on a FreeBSD box as we don't have any Linux
here, but this shouldn't be a problem, should it ?
At this point, the kernel seems to boot without any problems up to the
mount root stage, and after it crashes. Here is the last part of the
kernel outpout, transcribed by hand (hope there is all informations
needed) :

...
VFS: Mounted root (nfs filesystem)
Freeing unused kernel memory : 44k freed
page fault from irq handler : 0000
$0 : <some hexdump>                        <-- do you need these dumps
to understand what's happening ?
$4 : <some hexdump>
...
$28 : <some hexdump>
epc : 880e3e74
Status : 1004fc02
Cause : 00000008
Aiee, killing interrupt handler
Kernel panic : Attempted to kill the idle task
In swapper task - not syncing

I would appreciate any help, as you have many other better things to do
than helping newbies.

Thanx in advance

--
-------------------------------
--> [email-masked]
-------------------------------

---

From: Keith M Wesolowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 08:31:14 -0700

> here, but this shouldn't be a problem, should it ?

Of course not.  You can use any system as the server.  When you say
"standard installation instructions" what does that mean exactly?
More importantly, which kernel did you use and where did it come from?

> $0 : <some hexdump>                        <-- do you need these dumps

It depends.  If this kernel is a newish 2.4 kernel or current CVS 2.2,
then yes, the dumps are needed to solve the problem.  If this is an
old or ancient kernel you might want to send the dumps anyway but most
people will ignore you.

-- 
Keith M Wesolowski <[email-masked]> http://foobazco.org/~wesolows
------(( Project Foobazco Coordinator and Network Administrator ))------
	"Nothing motivates a man more than to see his boss put
	 in an honest day's work." -- The fortune file

---

From: "julien" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 17:58:16 +0200

Hi,

thanx for your fast answer ;-))

> More importantly, which kernel did you use and where did it come from?

by "standard installation instructions" I mean I followed instructions
given in the file ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/redhat/instructions.
The kernel I'm using is the one included in the archive at
ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/redhat/hardhat-sgi-5.1.tar.gz ... I
know it's a very old one (2.0x ?), but I didn't find any recent compiled
kernel for IP22. Do I need to checkout the current kernel and cross
compile it ?

> old or ancient kernel you might want to send the dumps anyway but most

Can I try a 2.4 kernel without having to compile it myself ? If yes, do
you have any link where I could find it ? If no, I guess I will have to
set up cross compilation stuff...

Thanx very much for your time