Subject: Profiling support in glibc?

From: Brian Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 21:07:15 +0200

What is the status of profiling in glibc? Our (egcs-1.1.2 based)
compiler fails with a missing symbol
_start (glibc 2.0.6) but even if one fixes this up there are more
fundamental problems.

Is there a later glibc for which profiling works?

/Brian

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 22:25:54 +0200

> Is there a later glibc for which profiling works?

I've never tried profiling but remember from looking at the source of
glibc 2.0.6 that there were rather obvious bugs.  Also you shouldn't
assume that anybody of the core developers has interest in wasting any
work into 2.0.6 since 2.2 is so much better so you may want to upgrade
anyway.

The other issue is of course gprof ...

  Ralf

---

From: Greg Satz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 14:52:32 -0600

Oddly enough I didn't have to make any changes to gprof. I used the version
in binutils-2.11.90.0.1.

Thanks,
Greg

---

From: Greg Satz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 15:05:18 -0600

I was able to get profiling working using glibc-2.2.2 and gcc-2.95.3. Both
packages needed changes. The compiler had a stack misalignment correction
for glibc. Glibc didn't save all the registers nor treat sp/fp correctly.
Currently files compiled with -pg need to be linked -static. Specs need to
be updated to do this automatically.

I will send diffs if there is any interest.

Thanks,
Greg

---

From: "H . J . Lu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 14:11:26 -0700

> be updated to do this automatically.

The next release of my mips toolchain should be as good as the x86
version in RedHat 7.1. If you can send me patches against binutils,
glibc and gcc under

http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/devel/binutils/mips/

I will take a look to see if I can include them in my next release.

H.J.

---

From: Andreas Jaeger <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Jun 2001 10:37:16 +0200

> I will send diffs if there is any interest.

Please send me diffs for glibc,

Andreas
-- 
 Andreas Jaeger
  SuSE Labs [email-masked]
   private [email-masked]
    http://www.suse.de/~aj

---

From: Brian Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 11:34:18 +0200

> I will send diffs if there is any interest.

Yes please.

/Brian