Subject: I few questions

From: "John D. Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 11:20:33 -0700 (PDT)

I have a few simple questions that I have been wondering about.  I am
currently running the debian verison of Linux with 2.4.0 kernel on an
Indy.

1) What is the difference between the Redhat and debian verison of linux?
Should I use one over the other for my Indy?

2) Is there a JVM/JIT available for MIPS Linux?

3) Is there something that is available to replace sash, another
bootloader?

thanks for your time,
john davis

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 15:34:01 +0200

> Should I use one over the other for my Indy?

That's a mostly a question of your personal preference.

> 3) Is there something that is available to replace sash, another

You don't need sash at all unless you want to boot a kernel from a XFS
filesystem.  You can write the kernel intot the volumeheader using either
the Linux or IRIX version of dvhtool or boot it from NFS.  If your
Indy has a very old PROM which doesn't accept ELF binaries you have to
convert it to ECOFF.

  Ralf