Subject: Newbie question...

From: Bartosch Pixa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 15:59:26 +0200

Hi

i'm quite new to the mips architecture so sorry if i ask dumb/useless
questions. i just bought a used Octane (IP30 R10K ...) and now i'm 
curious if it's possible to get linux on it ;)
Any help/hints apreciated

Thx in advance

Bartosch Pixa

-- 
Bartosch Pixa, [email-masked]
Infopark AG
Kitzingstr. 15, D-12277 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49(0)-30-747.993.0, Fax +49(0)-30-747.993.93
http://www.infopark.de/

---

From: Mat Withers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 16:07:45 +0100

> Any help/hints apreciated

I'm also quite interested in mips linux - I've got an Indigo 2 R4400SC with 128 Mb RAM sitting under my desk at home doing nothing.  Is this a reasonable platform to run ? I understand that I would have to use a serial console at the moment - are there any plans to support a text console on the Indigo 2 gfx hardware (I don't really care about X). How easy is the install ? 

Any info would be gratefully received

Cheers

Mat

-- 

Mat Withers
[email-masked]
http://minus-9.com
phone: +44 7092 019849
"a sarcasm detector, *that's* a real useful invention."

---

From: Keith M Wesolowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 08:14:35 -0700

> curious if it's possible to get linux on it ;)

Not at this time, though a few people have started to look at it.  If
you have irix headers and an ability to mangle the kernel for the
better you should probably coordinate with Ralf and get started.  IP30
is not very different from IP27, so the port should not be excessively
difficult.

-- 
Keith M Wesolowski <[email-masked]> http://foobazco.org/~wesolows
------(( Project Foobazco Coordinator and Network Administrator ))------
	"Nothing motivates a man more than to see his boss put
	 in an honest day's work." -- The fortune file

---

From: Keith M Wesolowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 08:22:31 -0700

On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 04:07:45PM +0100, Mat Withers wrote:

> I'm also quite interested in mips linux - I've got an Indigo 2
> R4400SC with 128 Mb RAM sitting under my desk at home doing nothing.
> Is this a reasonable platform to run ? I understand that I would
> have to use a serial console at the moment - are there any plans to
> support a text console on the Indigo 2 gfx hardware (I don't really
> care about X). How easy is the install ?

As the FAQ states, this box should work fine.  Graphics hardware will
be supported when documentation is available or someone manages to
reverse-engineer it.  Perhaps you'd like to volunteer?

The install is a trivial matter for experienced hackers, an annoyance
to people who've never strayed outside the chartered bounds of
commercial Linux on peecees, and a source of unending pain and grief
for newbies.  Unfortunately it's getting easier all the time.

---

From: mjpento <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 17:50:06 -0400

Hello folks,

	I am actually inquiring on a similar note. I have an Indigo 
R3000 under my desk that is collecting dust. Firstly, I would like to 
port a linux kernel to this system. I am sort of a newbie to porting 
os's. So, I have a few questions that I would like to ask:

1. Is there someone out there working on a port to the R3000's 
Indigo's? If so, does someone know who it is or a link to a 
website??? etc ...

2. Since I am rather new to porting, is there a resource that you 
folks would suggest out there on the internet that would be a good 
starting point for information or tips on the best porting methods?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Mike

---

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:31:48 +0200

On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 05:50:06PM -0400, mjpento wrote:
[Indigo R3000]

> Indigo's? If so, does someone know who it is or a link to a 

Rumor was that Michael Engel was working on the Indigo. I've got
such a beast as well (okay, it's an OEM version build by Siemens
Nixdorf), but there's no Linux running on this box these days.

From what I've heared, the Indigo R3k is quite different to most
other supported machines (Indy, Indigo2) so a port will be
somewhat difficult. The machine isn't the fastest one (well, 
mine is running wirh Irix 5.2 and the flight simulator is quite nice
to play with:-), but it *would* be more then fast enough to run
Linux.

> starting point for information or tips on the best porting methods?

Porting Linux to Indigo R3k is difficult. There seems to be no
hardware documentation available (except Irix header files). So
porting will be a means of reading header files, using an oscilloscope
and disassembline Irix' kernel. 

> Any help would be greatly appreciated,

I'd really *love* to see Linux running on Indigo R3k, but I'm not
experienced enough to do the port. However, I'd like to help and
cooperate with more experienced programmers to make it running, but
they're more or less fixed to their bigger^Wfaster machines...

Michael, have you had any success with your Indigo R3k?

MfG, JBG

-- 
Fehler eingestehen, Größe zeigen: Nehmt die Rechtschreibreform zurück!!!
/* Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]> -- +49-172-7608481 */
keyID=0x8399E1BB fingerprint=250D 3BCF 7127 0D8C A444 A961 1DBD 5E75 8399 E1BB
     "insmod vi.o and there we go..." (Alexander Viro on linux-kernel)

---

From: Florian Lohoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 14:12:06 +0200

> starting point for information or tips on the best porting methods?

R3000 is no problem - The Indigo (1 IP12 ?) is the problem - Its mostly
undocumented and i havent heard of anyone trying to do something about it.

Flo
-- 
Florian Lohoff                  [email-masked]             +49-5201-669912
     Why is it called "common sense" when nobody seems to have any?