Subject: Another newbie question, O2 this time

From: "Mark Nellemann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 18:51:39 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

There's a chance that I can get my hands on a O2 (with a R12000 cpu). Will 
Linux run on that hardware, and is it easy to install? I have been using 
Linux for many years, but only on x86 and recently ppc.

/Mark

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 13:46:07 -0400 (EDT)

Linux will (possibly) boot uncached, and will at some point work.  If
you're willing to help us get it farther that would be terrific.
	Nick

---

From: "Mark Nellemann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 19:48:13 +0200 (CEST)

I am willing to help all I can, but i'm no expert. I got an O2 R5000 at a 
friends place, which I can also use if that will help.

Please let me know what I can do to help.

/Mark

>> There's a chance that I can get my hands on a O2 (with a R12000 cpu).
>> Will  Linux run on that hardware, and is it easy to install? I have
>> been using  Linux for many years, but only on x86 and recently ppc.
>> 
>> 
>> /Mark 
>> 
>>

---

From: Keith M Wesolowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 12:56:25 -0700

> Please let me know what I can do to help.

O2 r5k should definitely boot uncached and might even work to some
extent.  r12k will work in theory but nobody has ever tried.  Expect
problems.  The most important thing you can do to help is grab the
tree, build it, try it, and tell me what you have, what works, and
what doesn't work.

If you're a hacker, add the most important step, "Fix what doesn't
work."  I've reviewed the code about 5 times and haven't been able to
find what's wrong.  This code desperately needs additional sets of
eyes peering at it.

-- 
Keith M Wesolowski <[email-masked]> http://foobazco.org/~wesolows
------(( Project Foobazco Coordinator and Network Administrator ))------
	"Nothing motivates a man more than to see his boss put
	 in an honest day's work." -- The fortune file