Subject: Re: stabs or ecoff for Linux/mips

From: "H . J . Lu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 11:13:24 -0700

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 02:04:45PM -0400, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> dwarf2
> stabs
> not ecoff (er, isn't ecoff an object format like coff? I guess you mean 
> something like Dwarf1)

Ok. I meant stabs in ecoff vs. stabs in elf.

> 
> As Dan will probably be quick to point out, you'll get better C++ 
> support with dwarf2.
> 
> There is nothing unstable about dwarf2.  GDB's support for it has been 
> around for yonks.

It is more than just gdb. For a complete dwarf2 support, we need gcc
and binutils. I don't think we are there yet, at least not with stable
release.

H.J.

---

From: Ian Lance Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Jun 2001 11:20:05 -0700

> > not ecoff (er, isn't ecoff an object format like coff? I guess you mean 

ECOFF is both an object file format and a debugging format.  Irix (at
least Irix 5) uses the ECOFF debugging format with the ELF object file
format (ECOFF smuggled in ELF).

The ECOFF debugging format can also be called mdebug or Third Eye, but
most people simply call it ECOFF.

Ian

---

From: Andrew Cagney <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 14:27:39 -0400

> Ok. I meant stabs in ecoff vs. stabs in elf.

dwarf2 in elf

Again ``There is nothing unstable about dwarf2 in elf''.

	Andrew