Subject: Sound on SGI Indy?

From: Erich Schubert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 23:59:24 +0200

did anyone get sound to run on a Indy?
As far as i've read, alsa does contain drivers which should play sound
correctly.

So i checked out current cvs kernel, compiled it, compiled alsa and
tried to load the modules - and got a kernel oops.

Can someone point me to some recent information about sound on sgi indy?

Greetings,
Erich

P.S.
I've currently not subscribed the SGI Mips list, only the debian mips
list - so please do not reply to the list only. Thanks.
Please do not crosspost replys to both lists. Thanks.

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 23:01:32 +0200

> tried to load the modules - and got a kernel oops.

You made sure you have latest binutils and modutils?

> Can someone point me to some recent information about sound on sgi indy?

Ulf said the ALSA driver is entirely out of date.

  Ralf

---

From: Klaus Naumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 10:34:41 +0200 (CEST)

> You made sure you have latest binutils and modutils?

Don't waste the time ... current cvs will _never_ support the old
alsa modules.
I'm working on getting the ALSA stuff to work, but it's not too easy
and currently the Power Supply Fan of my workstation is broken so
I need to get a new one first and then we'll see ...
Also one of the problems is finding a working current cvs kernel ;)

> Ulf said the ALSA driver is entirely out of date.

I think I once got it to work a bit under 2.2.10 or something like that.
Everything newer, like 2.4 is a big no no.

Hmmm, my Power Supply smells again ... cu later guys

		Bye, Klaus

-- 
Full Name   : Klaus Naumann     | (http://www.mgnet.de/) (Germany)
Nickname    : Spock             | Org.: Mad Guys Network
Phone / FAX : ++49/177/7862964  | E-Mail: ([email-masked])
PGP Key     : www.mgnet.de/keys/key_spock.txt