Subject: Documentation on MIPS kernel options...

From: "Steven J. Hill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 11:37:19 -0500

Greetings.

I have been having some correspondance with Eric Raymond (ESR)
concerning MIPS configuration options. I have already sent him
a fairly good sized list of descriptions for some MIPS options
that will be utilized in the CML2 build system for the 2.5.x
and 2.6.x series kernels. He sent me another list of items and
I decided to ask those of you on the list to provide the
descriptions. Please send me the descriptions and at the end of
next week I will compile the results and send them off to 
Eric. Thanks.

-Steve

CONFIG_ARC_CONSOLE
CONFIG_AU1000_UART
CONFIG_EVB_PCI1
CONFIG_FORWARD_KEYBOARD
CONFIG_GDB_CONSOLE
CONFIG_IT8172_REVC
CONFIG_IT8172_SCR0
CONFIG_IT8172_SCR1
CONFIG_SYSCLK_100
CONFIG_SYSCLK_75
CONFIG_SYSCLK_83

-- 
 Steven J. Hill - Embedded SW Engineer

---

From: Keith M Wesolowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 11:51:32 -0700

> CONFIG_ARC_CONSOLE

This arguably belongs to the Kernel Hacking section (or its CML2
equivalent).  It isn't useful (and in fact will be highly frustrating)
for anyone else.

---cut here---

The ARC console is a low-level console device using the ARC firmware
for output.  This is useful for debugging, especially if there is no
driver for the serial ports.  You cannot use the ARC console as a
general serial device.  Unless you have a specific requirement for
this functionality, you should not select this option.

---cut here---

-- 
Keith M Wesolowski <[email-masked]> http://foobazco.org/~wesolows
------(( Project Foobazco Coordinator and Network Administrator ))------
 	"There is no such song as 'Acid Acid Acid' by 'The Acid Heads'
	 but there might as well be." --jwz

---

From: Pete Popov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 12:23:26 -0700

> CONFIG_AU1000_UART

The uart on the Alchemy Au1000 is almost a 16550 but not quite.  I've 
added support for that uart in the non-standard uart section in 
drivers/char/Config.in.  This option is needed if you want uart support 
for debug and/or serial console.

> CONFIG_IT8172_REVC

An older version of the IT8172 system controller what has slightly 
different pci mem windows. However, I don't think we need to support 
this anymore so I plan on dumping this asap.

> CONFIG_IT8172_SCR1

On the IT8172 system controller, Smart Card Reader 0 and 1.

> CONFIG_SYSCLK_83

Let me know if you need additional information.

Thanks,

Pete