Subject: Re: Updates on RedHat 7.1/mips

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:26:31 +0200

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 09:13:20AM +0200, Carsten Langgaard wrote:

> It look like there is a cross dependence, the build of tcsh failed with the
> following message:
> 
> /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.7250: /usr/bin/perl: No such file or directory
> error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.7250 (pbuild)
> 
> So tcsh is needed to build perl and perl is needed to build tcsh :-(

One of the reasons why I believe that the major Linux distributions are
fundamentally flawed - their build process doesn't account for such
dependencies.  Point for BSD.

The escape from this circular dependency is to build those packages manually
which may require cheating in the configure and build process a bit.  Or
install them from a binary package (which may require --nodeps and --force
to install).  General rule therefore should be to only do such distribution
package builds on systems which have a maximum installation.

  Ralf

---

From: Daniel Jacobowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 09:48:42 -0700

> dependencies.  Point for BSD.

Debian has been going to great lengths to fix this.  We're a great deal
of the way along, too - to the point where bringing up our complete
hppa and ia64 distributions (with the exception of a few
platform-specific tool bugs and some gcc-3.0 incompatibilities) was
really relatively painless for the vast majority of packages.  Only a
tiny subset of packages are assumed installed at build time if they
aren't explicitly listed.

> package builds on systems which have a maximum installation.

Although I'm pretty sure that Debian's Perl package builds without the
use of tcsh... I've no idea where this is coming from.

-- 
Daniel Jacobowitz                           Carnegie Mellon University
MontaVista Software                         Debian GNU/Linux Developer

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 00:23:22 +0200

> use of tcsh... I've no idea where this is coming from.

Anyway, Perl is calling csh internally for something but I forgot what it
was; too long that I researched the details.

  Ralf

---

From: Florian Lohoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:29:50 +0200

> was; too long that I researched the details.

For path globbing perl uses csh or tcsh 

Flo
-- 
Florian Lohoff                  [email-masked]             +49-5201-669912
     Why is it called "common sense" when nobody seems to have any?