Subject: Re: ATI Victoria on Malta

From: "Andrew Thornton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 14:24:16 +0100

>Turn on debugging in atyfb.c and post the results.
>
>/*
> * Debug flags.
> */
>#undef DEBUG

OK. I'm afraid I haven't got that much time to spare on this, which is why I
asked if anyone else had managed this!

What I've got is linux-2.4.3.mips-src-01.00.tar.gz (from ftp.mips.com)
patched to make the FPU emulator work reliably (taken from the mail list),
aty.h and atyfb.c from linux-2.4.6.tar.gz (from ftp.kernel.org) with DEBUG
defined. The kernel is configured for a little endian Malta board, virtual
terminal, framebuffer, ATI Mach64, PS2 keyboard (I had to change the MIPS
config.in for this), GDB debugging.

The relevant console output is:

atyfb: 3D RAGE (XL) [0x4752 rev 0x65] 512K SGRAM, 14.31818 MHz XTAL, 230 MHz
PLL
, 120 Mhz MCLK
BUS_CNTL DAC_CNTL MEM_CNTL EXT_MEM_CNTL CRTC_GEN_CNTL DSP_CONFIG DSP_ON_OFF
80000001 06010000 00085838 00000081     04000000      00000000   00000000
PLL ac ac 24 df f6 04 00 fd 8e 9e 65 05 00 00 00 00

It hangs here.

Adding printk()'s, it seems that one of the places it hangs is in
wait_for_fifo() reading FIFO_STAT.

Andrew Thornton

---

From: Geert Uytterhoeven <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 15:53:05 +0200 (MEST)

> BUS_CNTL DAC_CNTL MEM_CNTL EXT_MEM_CNTL CRTC_GEN_CNTL DSP_CONFIG DSP_ON_OFF

Using `atydebug' (from tools in CVS module atyfb at
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/linux-fbdev/), the PLL debug values mean:

| tux$ ./atydebug ac ac 24 df f6 04 00 fd 8e 9e 65 05 00 00 00 00
| PLL rate = 417.901480 MHz (guessed)
| bad MCLK post divider 5
| VCLK0 = 414.623821 MHz
| VCLK1 = 232.713765 MHz
| VCLK2 = 86.311678 MHz
| VCLK3 = 165.521763 MHz
| tux$ 

Which looks a bit odd. The same for the 512 K SGRAM.

So I guess the Malta firmware hasn't initialized the RAGE XL yet. And atyfb
requires an initialized chip.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven ------------- Sony Software Development Center Europe (SDCE)
[email-masked] ------------------- Sint-Stevens-Woluwestraat 55
Voice +32-2-7248626 Fax +32-2-7262686 ---------------- B-1130 Brussels, Belgium

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 18:23:12 +0200

> patched to make the FPU emulator work reliably (taken from the mail list),

Sorry to destroy your illusions but we've got still a bunch of rather
tricky bugs in the fp emulation code.

  Ralf

---

From: "Kevin D. Kissell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 18:45:08 +0200

> tricky bugs in the fp emulation code.

Note, however, that all known bugs have to deal with catching
and handling signals during certain emulation sequences - if
you're doing "straight-line" FP computation, you're probably OK.  ;-)

            Kevin K.