Subject: Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

From: "kjlin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 09:48:57 +0800

Hi,

When the kernel boots up and mounts the root file system, 
the kernel start to do "execve("/sbin/AP",argv_init,envp_init)" to run a AP.
But in my case, it panics when kernel tries to do the "execve("/sbin/AP",argv_init,envp_init)".
The kernel panic message shows " Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init! ".
What situation will trigger such kernel panic?

Thanks,
KJ

---

From: "Kevin D. Kissell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 11:08:35 +0200

Well, bogus values for argv_init and envp_init would be the first thing I would check...

            Kevin K.

---

From: Jun Sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 11:20:38 -0700

> kjlin wrote:
> But in my case, it panics when kernel tries to do the
> "execve("/sbin/AP",argv_init,envp_init)".

A common reason is that /sbin/AP has a seg fault or some other faults.  I
would debug AP program in a stable environment and then make sure I can see
the first "printf" from AP.  From there, you can debug AP with printf.

Jun