Subject: Segfaults on r4600

From: Guido Guenther <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 19:48:30 +0200

I'm seeing various segfaults especially with perl on an R4600 Indy.
R4000 I2 with identical debian packages works fine though. I have tried
various kernels (cvs head as from two days ago(natively and
crosscompiled) and 2.4.3-r4k-ip22 from rfc822.org. Interesting enough
the segfaults disappear when using "strace -o/dev/null
segfaulting_binary". I also tried to investigate the core file but gdb
dies when loading it(gdb is 5.0-3 debian package).
Any ideas,
 -- Guido

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 05:24:42 +0200

> dies when loading it(gdb is 5.0-3 debian package).

Strace uses ptrace(2) which does enormous numbers of cache flushes.
Are those segfault non-deterministic?  Do the perl script you're running
do alot of I/O?

  Ralf

---

From: Guido Guenther <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 10:24:37 +0200

> Are those segfault non-deterministic?  Do the perl script you're running
No extensive I/O and perfectly deterministic. Another interesting fact
is, that some of these scripts fail when executed from a shells script 
but work perfectly well when exactly the same call is typed into a
shell.
 -- Guido