Subject: Re: ATI Victoria on Malta

From: "Andrew Thornton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 17:15:44 +0100

Geert,

>> I guess this is not surprising because the Malta firmware isn't a PC
BIOS.
>
>If the RAGE XL is the officially supported video board for the Malta, I
>wouldn't have been surprised if its firmware would have contained code to
>initialize the RAGE XL. But unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case.

I don't know if YAMON supports anything other than a serial terminal for its
console.

>Next question: is there sample code available (e.g. with the `supported' OS
for
>the Malta) to initialize the RAGE XL?

It has been pointed out to me that there is some source code, but this
originates from a non-suitable source for use in Linux. Need I say more?

Andrew Thornton

---

From: Carsten Langgaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:44:27 +0200

> I don't know if YAMON supports anything other than a serial terminal for its

YAMON doesn't initialize the RAGE XL as it is a PCI plug-in card.
The video driver in the 'supported' OS initialize the card.

> originates from a non-suitable source for use in Linux. Need I say more?

I'm afraid we can't provide you with the sources, you need to contact the
OS vendor yourself.

--
_    _ ____  ___   Carsten Langgaard   Mailto:[email-masked]
|\  /|||___)(___   MIPS Denmark        Direct: +45 4486 5527
| \/ |||    ____)  Lautrupvang 4B      Switch: +45 4486 5555
  TECHNOLOGIES     2750 Ballerup       Fax...: +45 4486 5556
                   Denmark             http://www.mips.com

---

From: James Simmons <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 13:37:44 -0700 (PDT)

> I'm afraid we can't provide you with the sources, you need to contact the

I really wish ATI would open up about intializing their cards.