Subject: recent kernel probs

From: George Gensure <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 02:44:21 -0400

I've been keeping busy trying to keep a working kernel for a set of lab 
machines (indy r5ks) running linux, and as of a couple of days ago, I 
haven't been able to build a kernel that does not simply blank the 
screen and draw a non-blinking cursor where the mouse had been in the 
prom.  I can boot from the stock vmlinux-2.4.3.ecoff kernel, and i can 
write that kernel to the volume header to boot locally.  However, when I 
try to rebuild and boot a later kernel, with the X-ish support that I 
need, it errors as above.  It feels as if I've done something to the 
system to deserve this kind of punishment.  Can anyone help?

Thanks
George
[email-masked]

---

From: Guido Guenther <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 10:03:23 +0200

> system to deserve this kind of punishment.  Can anyone help?
The blank screen with non-blinking cursor looks exactly like what I saw
when I compiled the kernel with 2.11.90.0.27 debian binutils. There
were patches missing and so the kernel got miscompiled. Try to compile
with 2.11.90.0.31 or try the 2.4.5 kernel images in the debian archives.
 -- Guido