Subject: ramdisk support failing

From: Manoj Ekbote <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 19:17:32 -0700

Hi,

I am trying to load a kernel with ramdisk support linked in it. It is a 2.4.5 kernel, ported for Ocelot board running a PMC RM7000 chip.
The kernel hangs while trying to load the "init" process. The "init" is actually the sash program. I have placed the init in /sbin, /sbin and /etc.The "execve" in setup.c returns ENOEXEC while running /sbin/init. The CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF is set in the .config file.
The init has the x attribute.

Here's the output:

>g root=/dev/ram
...........
...........
Initial ramdisk at: 0x80285000 (1161262 bytes)
...........

POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX

Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.4

Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039

Initializing RT netlink socket

Starting kswapd v1.8

pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured

Serial driver version 5.05a (2001-03-20) with MANY_PORTS SHARE_IRQ SERIAL_PCI enabled

ttyS00 at 0x0000 (irq = 4) is a ST16650

block: queued sectors max/low 83088kB/27696kB, 256 slots per queue

RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 4096K size 1024 blocksize

SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00

NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0

IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP

IP: routing cache hash table of 1024 buckets, 8Kbytes

TCP: Hash tables configured (established 8192 bind 16384)

NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0.

RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0

Freeing initrd memory: 1134k freed

EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).

Freeing unused kernel memory: 72k freed

/sbin/init failed..8           <------ ENOEXEC returned by execve("init")

etc/init failed...14

/bin/init failed...14

Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.

Any ideas?
Manoj

---

From: [email-masked] (H.Heinold)
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 10:51:55 +0200

> The init has the x attribute.

Yep,

the ramdisk support is broken. But thats not new and til now nobody fixed it.
Only on mipsel it is fixed partly. There the ramdisk is linkend in the compile
prozess of the kernel.

-- 

Henning