Subject: native gcc-3.0.1?

From: Jim Paris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 01:57:42 -0400

Does anyone have gcc-3.0.1 built as a native MIPS compiler?
I have a 3.0.1 cross-compiler that seems to work fine, but when I
cross-compiled a native gcc-3.0.1, it doesn't work:

# cat hello.c
main() 
{
    printf("hello, world\n");
}
# gcc -c hello.c
hello.c: In function 'main':
hello.c:4: Internal error: Illegal instruction
Please submit a full bug report
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/bugs.html> for instructions.

It's possible that

1) My kernel is broken.  I doubt this, only because the other
   possibilities seem more likely; I suppose I could add debugging
   output to all of the places where the kernel generates SIGILL
2) My cross-compiler is broken.  But, everything else it's compiled
   has worked fine, including relatively complicated programs like
   strace and bash.

It could also be that gcc-3.0.1 is simply broken when running natively
on MIPS.  Has anyone done this?  Any luck?

It's also possible (and I think likely) that my cross-compiler is
making wrong assumptions about the target system (since ./configure
can be pretty dumb when it comes to setting up a cross compile).  If
anyone has built gcc-3.0 or gcc-3.0.1 natively on MIPS, can you send
me the config.cache from your build?

I tried using my gcc-3.0.1 cross-compiler to build a native gcc-2.95.3
instead, but the newer GCCs doesn't seem to happy about building old
ones.  Grr..

-jim

---

From: Ryan Murray <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 23:09:53 -0700

> Does anyone have gcc-3.0.1 built as a native MIPS compiler?

Debian built 3.0.1 natively...

> on MIPS.  Has anyone done this?  Any luck?

When that was the version in Debian, it did work.

> me the config.cache from your build?

I don't have that around anymore, but I can send you the config.cache from
a build of a 3.0.2 CVS snapshot...

-- 
Ryan Murray, Debian Developer ([email-masked], [email-masked])
The opinions expressed here are my own.

---

From: william <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 18:00:39 +0800

Ryan Murray wrote:

>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>    Part 1.2Type: application/pgp-signature

Hi,
       Just, I use GCC-3.0.1 to compile Linux kernel,except
ramdisk.o,everything seems fine.about ramdisk.o
because GCC-3.0.1 can't suppor failed to merge target specific data of file
../boot/ramdisk.ot ecoff-littlemips target.so I modified it as
elf32-littlemips,but when linking, compiler told me failed to merge specific
data of file ramdisk.o,from the output compiler message,it says ISA
mismatch(-mips1) with previous modules(--mips3) and used different
e_flags(0x0) fields than previous modules(0x100).What's wrong with it?
            Best regards
        william  20/9/2001