Subject: busybox does not like 2.4.8, or the other way around?

From: Jun Sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 18:21:49 -0700

I have a small busybox userland that works fine with 2.4.2 kernel, but failed
with the latest 2.4.8 kernel.  The symptom is that it is stuck at the
following prompt:

================
....
Kernel command line: console=ttyS0,115200 ip=bootp
....
Freeing unused kernel memory: 4k freed
Algorithmics/MIPS FPU Emulator v1.4
serial console detected.  Disabling virtual terminals.
init started:  BusyBox v0.51 (2001.07.18-06:43+0000) multi-call binary

Please press Enter to activate this console.
================

A simple test shows the console is still working, i.e., pressing a key *does*
generate an interrupt and ISR *does* read the correct char value.

I really cannot think of anything else that might make busybox stuck here. 
Any clue?  Anybody else is using busybox with more recent kernels?

Jun

---

From: "Bradley D. LaRonde" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 22:02:58 -0400

I'm using busybox 0.60.1 with the latest oss kernel with success.  No clue
on why your busybox is stuck though.

Regards,
Brad

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 05:56:03 +0200

> with the latest 2.4.8 kernel.  The symptom is that it is stuck at the

There was a change in 2.4.3 which also broke certain gettys that don't
set CLOCAL.

  Ralf

---

From: Karsten Merker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 07:30:07 +0200

> with the latest 2.4.8 kernel.  The symptom is that it is stuck at the

[busybox waiting for keypress]

> Any clue?  Anybody else is using busybox with more recent kernels?

I have a smilar problem on my DECstation. Using 2.4.8 with the Debian
boot-floppies (based on busybox), the machine hangs when waiting for
the first keypress after the splash screen.
When booting 2.4.8 with my "normal" installation into single user mode,
I get a shell prompt, but cannot enter anything. I first thought of
a problem with the DECstation keyboard driver, but the same happens
on serial console. I have tested various kernel version with regard
to this - the last one working for me is 2.4.5.
When booting my "normal" installation with 2.4.8 into multiuser mode,
the machine crashes somewhere in the init scripts.

Is your box little or big endian?

Greetings,
Karsten
-- 
#include <standard_disclaimer>
Nach Paragraph 28 Abs. 3 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
oder Uebermittlung meiner Daten fuer Werbezwecke oder fuer die Markt- oder
Meinungsforschung.