Subject: linux 2.4.8: The DECstation 5000/2x0 NVRAM module driver

From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 14:31:45 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

 I've prepared a syntactic update to the DECstation 5000/2x0 NVRAM module
driver for linux 2.4.8.  There are no functional changes at the moment. 
The driver patch and supplementary changes are available at:
'ftp://ftp.ds2.pg.gda.pl/pub/macro/drivers/ms02-nv/'.  

 I'm looking for a tester with a DECstation 5000/200 and a MS02 NVRAM
module.  I'm going to improve the module detection code in the next
version to make it less firmware-dependent.  This is needed to support
multiple modules as well as single modules in non-standard slots.  I need
to make sure I can rely on bus error exceptions just like in the /240. 

  Maciej

-- 
+  Maciej W. Rozycki, Technical University of Gdansk, Poland   +
+--------------------------------------------------------------+
+        e-mail: [email-masked], PGP key available        +

---

From: Stephen Frost <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 08:34:45 -0400

> to make sure I can rely on bus error exceptions just like in the /240. 

	Welp, I've got a DECstation 5000/200 but no clue what (if any)
	NVRAM module it has.  How can I find out? :)  I havn't booted
	the thing up in quite a while so I'm not even sure it's exactly
	functional, but I've been looking for an excuse to play with it.

		Stephen

---

From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 15:17:12 +0200 (MET DST)

> 	functional, but I've been looking for an excuse to play with it.

 An NVRAM module is placed in a memory slot, usually the 15th, as that's
what DEC supports.  It differs from RAM modules visibly -- it has two
green LEDs and a lithium battery (mine is orange, which makes it easily
recognizable; I'm not sure if the color is a rule). 

 In a configuration dump it's marked explicitly as a "Presto-NVR" module
if placed in the 15th slot.  This is an example of a `cnfg 3' output from
my /240 system -- you would need to type `cnfg 7' for your /200: 

>>cnfg 3
 3: KN03-AA  DEC      V5.1b    TCF0  (352 MB,   1 MB NVRAM)
                                     (enet: 08-00-2b-1e-3b-78)
                                     (SCSI = 7)
            ---------------------------------------------------
            DEV   PID                VID        REV    SCSI DEV
            ===== ================== ========== ====== ========

        dcache( 64 KB), icache( 64 KB)
        mem( 0):  a0000000:a1ffffff  ( 32 MB)
        mem( 1):  a2000000:a3ffffff  ( 32 MB)
        mem( 2):  a4000000:a5ffffff  ( 32 MB)
        mem( 3):  a6000000:a67fffff  (  8 MB)
        mem( 4):  a8000000:a87fffff  (  8 MB)
        mem( 5):  aa000000:aa7fffff  (  8 MB)
        mem( 6):  ac000000:ac7fffff  (  8 MB)
        mem( 7):  ae000000:afffffff  ( 32 MB)
        mem( 8):  b0000000:b1ffffff  ( 32 MB)
        mem( 9):  b2000000:b3ffffff  ( 32 MB)
        mem(10):  b4000000:b5ffffff  ( 32 MB)
        mem(11):  b6000000:b7ffffff  ( 32 MB)
        mem(12):  b8000000:b9ffffff  ( 32 MB)
        mem(13):  ba000000:bbffffff  ( 32 MB)
        mem(14):  bc000000:bc0fffff  (  1 MB)     Presto-NVR

        mem(14):  valid, batt OK, unarmed

 Note that there exists a TURBOchannel NVRAM module, namely the PMTNV-AA. 
This driver doesn't intend to support it. 

  Maciej

---

From: Florian Lohoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 11:44:12 +0200

> recognizable; I'm not sure if the color is a rule). 

Mine is orange too 

Flo
-- 
Florian Lohoff                  [email-masked]             +49-5201-669912
     Why is it called "common sense" when nobody seems to have any?