Subject: Need an account on a Linux/Mips box

From: [email-masked] (Emmanuel Dreyfus)
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 18:58:18 +0200

Hello everybody

I'm working on Linux compatibility on NetBSD/Mips. In order to implement
things such as signals, I need a user account on a big endian Linux/Mips
system.

I would use this account mainly for building and running tests programs,
in order to check that our Linux emulation is accurate.

Anyone can helop here?

-- 
Emmanuel Dreyfus.
Si la reponse est NT, c'est probablement 
que vous n'avez pas compris la question.
[email-masked]

---

From: Kristoffer Gleditsch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 17:03:44 +0200

Hi,

(Crossposted to the debian-mips list, in case there are others who are
interested.)

[ Emmanuel Dreyfus ]

> I'm working on Linux compatibility on NetBSD/Mips. In order to
> implement things such as signals, I need a user account on a big
> endian Linux/Mips system.

We have an SGI Indy (R4600 100Mhz CPU, 96MB RAM, 6.5GB HD) running
Debian (Sid) which is available for developers who need access to a
MIPS computer.  Please email me if you want an account.

Regards,

-- 
Kristoffer.

---

From: Raoul Borenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 17:37:23 +0200

Hi Kristoffer,

> MIPS computer.  Please email me if you want an account.

Does it run without any problems? What kernel (with what patches?) are you
running. I'm having troubles running our R4600-Indy:

- Perl is seg-faulting (especially when a perl-script is calling another)
- bind9 hangs after a few days
- occasionally the box just stalls and returns to the bootprom
- sometimes it just dies and we have to power-cycle it

I'm using kernel-image-2.4.5 from debian but we've had these problems
all through 2.4.x.

Would be nice to hear if anyone has managed to get 2.4.x running on
an R4600 without problems. R4000 and R5000 seems to be ok according to this
list...

Regards

Raoul

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------
 Raoul Gunnar Borenius		Deutsches Forschungsnetz e.V.
 WiNShuttle			Lindenspürstr.32, 70176 Stuttgart
 Phone  : +49 711 63314-206	FAX: +49 711 63314-133
 E-Mail : [email-masked]	http://www.shuttle.de
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Guido Guenther <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 17:54:41 +0200

> - Perl is seg-faulting (especially when a perl-script is calling another)
I'm seeing the same here. The gdb output of these segfaults is rather
weird too(gotta look that one up though). Never found time to look
deeper into this.
> I'm using kernel-image-2.4.5 from debian but we've had these problems
Hmm...I'm sure that very early 2.4.x kernels worked quiet well on R4600.
One way to hunt the problem down, would be to roll back to 2.4.0 and
spot the point in cvs where things break.
Could it be possible that things fail since glibc uses sysmips?
 -- Guido

-- 
This kind of limitation can lead administrators to do irrational things,
      like install Windows. Clearly a fix was required. (lwn.net)

---

From: Kristoffer Gleditsch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 18:24:17 +0200

[ Raoul Borenius ]

> Does it run without any problems?

Apart from sshd (OpenSSH), which started dying from SIGFPE (floating
point exception, whatever that means :) a few days ago, it's working
OK.

> What kernel (with what patches?)  are you running. I'm having
> troubles running our R4600-Indy:

We're running 2.4.5 from CVS (~ 2001-08-08) with the sysmips-patch,
self compiled with gcc 2.95.4.

(If you're interested, both the kernel and the patch can be found at
http://www.ping.uio.no/~toffer/linux-mips/.)

> - Perl is seg-faulting (especially when a perl-script is calling

Hm.  It's not entirely unusual for dist-upgrades to segfault in
various pre- and post-installation scripts.  That doesn't happen very
often, though, and it seems to be the same packages every time
(e.g. zsh), so I'm not sure whether it is a Perl problem or not.  I'll
try to take a closer look at it next time it happens.

> - bind9 hangs after a few days

I installed bind9 on the development box now, to see if I can
reproduce it.

> - sometimes it just dies and we have to power-cycle it

Apart from xdm, which oopses all our Indys, I have seen very few
crashes like this on the various Indys I use.  They are great X
terminals.  :)

-- 
Kristoffer.

---

From: Guido Guenther <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 12:20:45 +0200

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 06:24:17PM +0200, Kristoffer Gleditsch wrote:
[..snip..] 
> point exception, whatever that means :) a few days ago, it's working
Toolchain update problem - recompiling fixes this. I've put recompiled
debs at:

http://honk.physik.uni-konstanz.de/linux-mips/debian/ssl-tmp/

 -- Guido