Subject: How do I console into Origin 200?

From: Marian Kafadarov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 17:28:15 +0300

Hello,
We have DEC station 5000 / 240
 From were we can download Linux distribution and documentation for it and
what we can do on it.
                                    Best regards: Marian Kafadarov
                                                         Technical 
university of Plovdiv

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 09:48:20 -0500 (CDT)

I am trying to boot an Origin 200 (which I believe currently has IRIX on
it, I will be installing linux-mips).  It has 2 9 pin serial connectors on
the back.  I have hooked my Wyse terminal up to it with a serial cable
with and without a null connector @ 9600bps.  Is this correct?  I get
nothing on the screen.  I have never consoled into an Origin, and am not
sure if I am doing this right.

Brian

-----------------------------------------------
Brian Feeny, CCIE #8036	email:[email-masked]
Network Engineer	phone:318.222.2638x109
ShreveNet Inc.		fax:  318.221.6612

---

From: Martin Schulze <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 17:52:43 +0200

> From were we can download Linux distribution and documentation for it and

You could wait until we have finished boot-floppies for this machine
(1-3 weeks) or bootstrap from scratch by using a kernel and a Debian
base system.  Both is available, Karsten can also provide a correct
2.4.x kernel.

I'd rather like to ask you to wait a couple of days/weeks until
boot-floppies are available for this machine and you can use the
regular Debian installation process which will be less painful
than the other.  If you do so, please come back to us in some
days/weeks to find out if things are ready already.

Regards,

	Joey

-- 
All language designers are arrogant.  Goes with the territory...
	-- Larry Wall

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 20:04:56 +0200

> sure if I am doing this right.

Yes, that's correct and by default IRIX also runs a getty on the console.
So you probably want to doublecheck cables.  Also disable handshaking.

  Ralf

PS: Replying when you actually want to start a new thread is a bad idea.