Subject: Password recovery on IRIX box

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 09:09:42 -0500 (CDT)

I have an origin 200 I have been wanting to run linux on, its been sitting
up for a while. Before I wipe out and install linux, I need to get in
there to get some stuff of the drives.  But I do not know the root
password.  Can anyone direct me to password recovery procedures for IRIX?

Brian

-----------------------------------------------
Brian Feeny, CCIE #8036	   e: [email-masked]
Network Engineer	   p: 318.222.2638x109
ShreveNet Inc.		   f: 318.221.6612

---

From: "Soeren Laursen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 16:24:51 +0200

As I remember you have to boot it in single mode.

Soeren

---

From: Kumsup Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 09:57:06 -0500 (CDT)

You still need a root password to get in single user mode.  Best way to go
around is this.  

	* Mount your root Hard Disk to other SGI or XFS capable linux machine.

-- 

=============================================================================
 Kumsup Lee (ÀÌ±Ý¼·) 				 System/Network Manager 
 Institute for Mathematics and its Applications, University of Minnesota 
 400 Lind Hall,   207 Church Street S.E.,   Minneapolis, MN 55455   USA
 Tel : 612-624-4353	FAX : 612-626-7370	PAGE : 952-608-0112
 [email-masked]	www.ima.umn.edu/~klee

---

From: "J. Scott Kasten" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 11:01:33 -0400

I'm saying this from memory, but here is a procedure that would work if
you have the Irix install CDs.  One of them is bootable.  You boot the
miniroot from the CD and instead of invoking the installation, you opt to
go to a shell prompt.  From there you can manually mount the partitions,
and have some minimal capability to do things like overwrite the password
file, archive a disk to tape, or up a network interface and rcp stuff off
if you don't have any other means.  I've used this before to manipulate
things on a marginally functional system.

Other's here may have better short cuts, but this will do it.

--

J. Scott Kasten
Email: jsk AT tetracon-eng DOT net

"Nearly all men can stand adversity,
 but if you want to test a man's
 charater, give him power. - A Lincoln"

---

From: Guido Guenther <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 17:10:08 +0200

It's in the FAQ:
 http://www-viz.tamu.edu/~sgi-faq/faq/html/security/
  -- Guido

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 12:01:50 -0500 (CDT)

Thanks loren.  Yes I know how to boot single user in some other UNIX
varients, but I do not know how to boot into single user on IRIX :/.

Brian

---

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 12:06:57 -0500 (CDT)

that sounds like a good way...........the root partition is usually what?
/dev/sda1? /dev/c0d0t0?

---

From: Volker Jahns <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 20:27:16 +0200

> password.  Can anyone direct me to password recovery procedures for IRIX?
OK, a good and fast way is to boot into IRIX w/ its installation cd.
Then mount the root partition and fix /etc/passwd.

-- 
Volker Jahns, [email-masked], http://thalreit.de

---

From: Tim Moss <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 07:48:35 -0700

On Mon, 8 Oct 2001 09:09:42 -0500 (CDT)

> password.  Can anyone direct me to password recovery procedures for

This might help. I don't know if it applies to Origin 200 or not though.
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Pines/2258/4dfaq.html#clearpass

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 13:41:09 +0200

The question has been asked pretty often.  So I'd appreciate if somebody
could write an entry for our howto.

  Ralf

---

From: Guido Guenther <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 13:54:11 +0200

Ralf,
> could write an entry for our howto.
As I mentioned before it's in the "SGI Frequently Asked Questions" at:
 http://www-viz.tamu.edu/~sgi-faq/
so I'd prefer a link to that one since it's not linux related at all.
 -- Guido