Subject: Re: test machines; illegal instructions

From: Jim Paris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 01:16:32 -0400

> > seen anything similar?  It's quite possibly a buggy cross compiler
> 
> I won't recommend gcc 3.0.1 for mips. My RedHat 7.1 port has everyting
> you need for cross/native compiling.

Even with the glibc and fileutils binaries from your port, 'rm' still
either segfaults or gives an illegal instruction, so it's pretty
certain that this is a kernel or CPU issue somehow.  Have you seen
anything like this?  'rm' does work if I compile fileutils with -O0,
but there still seems to be a larger problem at hand.

-jim

---

From: Jun Sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 10:48:15 -0700

> but there still seems to be a larger problem at hand.

If your cpu does not have ll/sc instruction, you might be suffering the famous
sysmips() problem.  The latest kernel should get you going.

There is also FPU emulation bug which may cause this problem, but that only
happens on heavy context switches and FPU usages.

Jun

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 03:39:10 +0200

> happens on heavy context switches and FPU usages.

I've checked in a major bundle of FPU emu fixes last week.  The kernel
fp code should now produce accurate results and handle exceptions and
the Flush to Zero bit as per spec.

I have a load more fp fixes pending which I'll checking as soon as I'm
absolutely convinced they'll do the right thing.

  Ralf

---

From: Jun Sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 10:03:47 -0700

> the Flush to Zero bit as per spec.

This particular problem seems still there.  Anybody can try the following
test program on a CPU *without* fpu.

Jun