Subject: VisionClick debugger with Linux kernel

From: Gerald Champagne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 16:05:08 -0500

Has anyone used the Wind River VisionClick debugger with the Linux kernel?
I'm using this debugger and works great except it thinks that the symbols
for some files start at address zero instead of the proper offset.  Has anyone
else seen this and were you able to get it to work?  I'm using the latest tools
from:

ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/redhat/7.1/RPMS/i386/toolchain-mips-20010830-1.i386.rpm

I can't find any differences between the files that work and the files that
don't work and the symbols look correct in the System.map file.

Yeah, I'm working with Wind River, but I haven't gotten a solution yet.
You know how that 8-5 centralized corporate support is though. :)

Thanks!

Gerald

---

From: Jeff Harrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 07:38:51 -0600

Gerald Champagne wrote: 

Has anyone used the Wind River VisionClick debugger with the Linux
kernel? 
I'm using this debugger and works great except it thinks that the
symbols 
for some files start at address zero instead of the proper offset.  Has
anyone 
else seen this and were you able to get it to work?  I'm using the
latest tools 
from: 

ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/redhat/7.1/RPMS/i386/toolchain-mips-200
10830-1.i386.rpm
<ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/redhat/7.1/RPMS/i386/toolchain-mips-20
010830-1.i386.rpm>  

I can't find any differences between the files that work and the files
that 
don't work and the symbols look correct in the System.map file. 

Thanks! 

Gerald

We are using a VisionIce debugger from the linux-mips kernel, although I
am using the 
MontaVista Hardhat 2.0 tools.   I am able to load the symbols after they
have been 
generated from the Convert utility.  It seems to work fine except for
modules...haven't 
had much luck with that.  Had to get a patch to view TLB mapped memory
properly 
though. 

Jeff 

-- 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

\ Jeff Harrell  ([email-masked])               \

\ Telogy Networks                                   \

\ Broadband Access Group                            \

\                                                   \

\ Work: (301) 515-6537                              \

\ Fax:  (301) 515-6637                              \

\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---

From: Gerald Champagne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 11:26:53 -0500

Thanks for the response.  I just found the problem last night.  Their
convert utility was screwing up on files that had module_init and
module_exit routines in them, even though it wasn't compiled as a module.
I fixed it by replacing the __init and __exit macros with nothing so
the code is placed in a normal .text segment.

Gerald