Subject: Kernel 2.4.3 compile problem

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 13:36:25 +0200

Hi.

I tried to compile the kernel 2.4.3 but the process stops directly with the
following error:

saeanme@sae139c:/mipseb/usr/src/linux> make vmlinux
mips-linux-gcc -I /mipseb/usr/src/linux-2.4.3/include/asm/gcc -D__KERNEL__ 
-I/mipseb/usr/src/linux-2.4.3/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 
-fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -g -G 0 -mno-abicalls -fno-pic
-mcpu=r4600 
-mips2 -Wa,--trap -pipe   -c -o init/main.o init/main.c
In file included from
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/mips-linux/egcs-2.91.66/include/stdarg.h:27,
                 from /mipseb/usr/src/linux-2.4.3/include/linux/kernel.h:10,
                 from /mipseb/usr/src/linux-2.4.3/include/linux/wait.h:13,
                 from /mipseb/usr/src/linux-2.4.3/include/linux/fs.h:12,
                 from
/mipseb/usr/src/linux-2.4.3/include/linux/capability.h:17,
                 from /mipseb/usr/src/linux-2.4.3/include/linux/binfmts.h:5,
                 from /mipseb/usr/src/linux-2.4.3/include/linux/sched.h:9,
                 from /mipseb/usr/src/linux-2.4.3/include/linux/mm.h:4,
                 from /mipseb/usr/src/linux-2.4.3/include/linux/slab.h:14,
                 from /mipseb/usr/src/linux-2.4.3/include/linux/proc_fs.h:5,
                 from init/main.c:15:
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/mips-linux/egcs-2.91.66/include/va-mips.h:278: parse error
at null character
In file included from /mipseb/usr/src/linux-2.4.3/include/linux/wait.h:13,
                 from /mipseb/usr/src/linux-2.4.3/include/linux/fs.h:12,
                 from
/mipseb/usr/src/linux-2.4.3/include/linux/capability.h:17,
                 from /mipseb/usr/src/linux-2.4.3/include/linux/binfmts.h:5,
                 from /mipseb/usr/src/linux-2.4.3/include/linux/sched.h:9,
                 from /mipseb/usr/src/linux-2.4.3/include/linux/mm.h:4,
                 from /mipseb/usr/src/linux-2.4.3/include/linux/slab.h:14,
                 from /mipseb/usr/src/linux-2.4.3/include/linux/proc_fs.h:5,
                 from init/main.c:15:
/mipseb/usr/src/linux-2.4.3/include/linux/kernel.h:62: parse error before
`va_list'
/mipseb/usr/src/linux-2.4.3/include/linux/kernel.h:62: warning: function
declaration isn't a prototype
make: *** [init/main.o] Error 1
saeanme@sae139c:/mipseb/usr/src/linux>

I downloaded the kernel from
ftp://ftp.mips.com/pub/linux/mips/kernel/2.4/src/
and the compiler is the current from ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/
Is this a combination that cannot work? 
Any help would be appreciated.

best regards
--
Andre Messerschmidt

Application Engineer
Infineon Technologies AG

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 20:45:28 +0200

> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/mips-linux/egcs-2.91.66/include/va-mips.h:278: parse error

If this file contains a NUL character your compiler installation got
corrupted somehow.  Say might also be memory corruption of your compiler
host.

  Ralf