Subject: Installation/booting of Mips Linux from local harddrive...

From: Peter Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 17:00:50 +0200

I am running an sgi Indy with Irix 6.2 installed (hopefully not for long) 
and have been looking at linux for sgi for a while now. I even installed 
hardhat linux on it about a year and a half ago but had no experience of 
linux/unix what so ever  at that time, so i gave it up due to the booting 
causing me some trouble. Anyway to get to the point, i thought that i read 
somewhere a while ago  that you had managed to get linux to boot locally at 
the machines now and just thought that i would ask you if its true. If so 
where do i locate the kernel, you have quite a few on your ftp... Sorry 
about these stupid questions and keep up the good work!!!

Regards

Peter

---

From: Kristoffer Gleditsch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 17:27:15 +0200

[ Peter Andersson ]

> Anyway to get to the point, i thought that i read somewhere a while
> ago that you had managed to get linux to boot locally at the
> machines now and just thought that i would ask you if its true.

If by "boot locally" you mean booting the Linux kernel directly from
local hard disk, then yes, it is true (at least for Indys.)  There are
several installation howtos out there, two of them are
http://www.stafwag.f2s.com/indy/?lang=eng and
http://www.ping.uio.no/~toffer/indy-sid.txt .  They both contain URLs
to kernels you can use.

-- 
Kristoffer.