Subject: FYI: Mopd ELF support

From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 18:05:23 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

 I've made a preliminary version of mopd with ELF support available.  It's
Mats O. Jansson's mopd 2.5.3 with several fixes, updates and enhancements.
The work is definitely not finished, but basic functionality is already
implemented.  I'm making it available due to the amount of PITA
maintenance of traditional mopd image formats incurs, in hope someone will
find it useful.  Libelf is required for this version of mopd.  It should
build and run on any Linux system, regardless of endianness.  It might
work on other systems as well.

 I've made RPM packages available at the usual place (i.e. 
'ftp://ftp.ds2.pg.gda.pl/pub/macro/').  Beside source packages there are
i386 and mipsel binary ones available.  Grab the latest version; olders
are for a reference only.  To aid people with no RPM support in their
systems I've unpacked the source package into the "mopd" directory.  Still
you need to study the .spec file to figure how to build binaries. 

 Any feedback will be appreciated; I'm especially interested in reports
from VAX users, as I've only been able to verify the operation booting
Linux on a DECstation 5000 (i.e. MIPS) system.  Note: this version of mopd
does not require switching devices into the PROMISC or ALLMULTI modes of
operation. 

  Maciej

-- 
+  Maciej W. Rozycki, Technical University of Gdansk, Poland   +
+--------------------------------------------------------------+
+        e-mail: [email-masked], PGP key available        +

---

From: Dave Airlie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 10:55:10 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,
    I'll try and get it some VAX time at home over the next couple of
days...

Dave.

-- 
David Airlie, Software Engineer
http://www.skynet.ie/~airlied / [email-masked]
pam_smb / Linux DecStation / Linux VAX / ILUG person

---

From: Dave Airlie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 21:46:19 +0000 (GMT)

Okay it didn't go so well.. my VAX couldn't boot the file I normally use
with this mopd (I had to rebuild it for a static libelf)...

I've put a tgz up at

http://www.skynet.ie/~airlied/vax/mopd_on_the_vax.tgz

it contains the file I was trying to boot and the tcpdumps of this mopd
and the one I normally use ...

if you need any more info give me a shout ..

Regards,
	Dave.

---

From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 13:16:50 +0100 (MET)

> and the one I normally use ...

 Thanks for the report.  This is what mopchk says about the image:

Checking: vmlinux.SYS
RSX Image
Header Block Count: 0
Image Size:         00000000
Load Address:       00000000
Transfer Address:   00000000

No wonder it cannot be booted -- the header states the file's size is
zero.

> if you need any more info give me a shout ..

 That's enough, thanks.  It seems I was a bit too optimistic in the
assumption a traditional MOP image header contains a correct image size --
I'll implement a fallback to the file's size if the header contains null
size.

 Since I'll be away till Tuesday, expect an update in the middle of the
next week.  I'm assuming ELF loading works, right?

  Maciej