Subject: mipsel-linux cross compiler issue while installing

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 16:08:35 -0700

Hello Support,

I 'm working in Philips Semiconductors, Sunnyvale, CA in the MIPS core group.
I'm planning to boot the linux kernel on our latest 4kc mips32 core.
I thought of installing the compiler source available for mips2 ISA and and later edit
them for mips32 ISA.

I tried downloading the compiler source for linux mips from the following link.

ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/mips-linux/simple/crossdev

I edited the make-cross.sh to change the base path and target and when I ran the script
I got the following errors while installing the glibc.

Can you please help me in fixing this error?
Is there a patch or something which I'm missing here?

regards,
Balaji Ramalingam
408 991 2941 work phone
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/ramaling/crossdev-build/src/glibc-2.2.3-20010
421/setjmp'
mipsel-linux-gcc ../sysdeps/mips/setjmp.S -c  -I../include -I. -I/home/ramaling/
crossdev-build/mipsel-linux/glibc-2.2.3-20010421-obj/setjmp -I.. -I../libio  -I/
home/ramaling/crossdev-build/mipsel-linux/glibc-2.2.3-20010421-obj -I../sysdeps/
mips/elf -I../linuxthreads/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux -I../linuxthreads/sysdeps/pth
read -I../linuxthreads/sysdeps/unix/sysv -I../linuxthreads/sysdeps/unix -I../lin
uxthreads/sysdeps/mips -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/mips -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/
linux -I../sysdeps/gnu -I../sysdeps/unix/common -I../sysdeps/unix/mman -I../sysd
eps/unix/inet -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv -I../sysdeps/unix/mips -I../sysdeps/unix -I
../sysdeps/posix -I../sysdeps/mips/mipsel -I../sysdeps/mips/fpu -I../sysdeps/mip
s -I../sysdeps/wordsize-32 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/flt-32 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/dbl-
64 -I../sysdeps/ieee754 -I../sysdeps/generic/elf -I../sysdeps/generic  -nostdinc
 -isystem /usr/gnu-kalra/pc-linux/lib/gcc-lib/mipsel-linux/2.95.1/include -isyst
em /home/ramaling/crossdev/mipsel-linux/mipsel-linux/include -D_LIBC_REENTRANT -
include ../include/libc-symbols.h     -DASSEMBLER   -o /home/ramaling/crossdev-b
uild/mipsel-linux/glibc-2.2.3-20010421-obj/setjmp/setjmp.o
../sysdeps/mips/setjmp.S: Assembler messages:
../sysdeps/mips/setjmp.S:43: Error: Can not represent BFD_RELOC_16_PCREL_S2 relo
cation in this object file format
make[2]: *** [/home/ramaling/crossdev-build/mipsel-linux/glibc-2.2.3-20010421-ob
j/setjmp/setjmp.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/ramaling/crossdev-build/src/glibc-2.2.3-200104
21/setjmp'
make[1]: *** [setjmp/subdir_lib] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ramaling/crossdev-build/src/glibc-2.2.3-200104
21'
make: *** [all] Error 2
[ramaling@svlhp106 crossdev-build]$

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 01:17:10 +0200

> Is there a patch or something which I'm missing here?

That's a compiler bug.  It should always define __PIC__.

  Ralf

---

From: Marc Karasek <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Oct 2001 06:23:08 -0400

As long as you just want to do LE, I would recommend the package from
Monta Vista.  It is there journeyman distrobution.  It has both a
cross-compiler for LE along with there released 2.4.2 kernel.  They went
thru a long process to validate this kernel, and have incorporated/fixed
many bugs that were outstanding.  This delayed the release of this port
by about 3 months.  Just my 2 cents......

-- 
/*************************
Marc Karasek
Sr. Firmware Engineer
iVivity Inc.
[email-masked]
(770) 986-8925
(770) 986-8926 Fax
*************************/