Subject: Linux on RM600

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 21:25:21 +0100

Hi!

The howto states that there's currently no linux running on the RM600.
Is this information up-to-date? ...or has already some work be done? I
could get one of those boxes, but I don't want to only use it as a
letter weight...

MfG, JBG

-- 
Jan-Benedict Glaw   .   [email-masked]   .   +49-172-7608481
	http://lug-owl.de/~jbglaw/software/snapshot2cvs/

---

From: Florian Lohoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 13:12:11 -0800

> could get one of those boxes, but I don't want to only use it as a

*Cough* You could also kill an Elephant with certain extension steps.

Flo
-- 
Florian Lohoff                  [email-masked]             +49-5201-669912
Nine nineth on september the 9th              Welcome to the new billenium

---

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 23:35:56 +0100

On Fri, 2001-11-09 13:12:11 -0800, Florian Lohoff <[email-masked]>
> *Cough* You could also kill an Elephant with certain extension steps.

I know:-) But what about the RM600. I've found some announcement
for some SAP monitoring system running on "RM600/LINUX" (can be
found at http://www.save.de/bereiche/ak_s/sap/sap1000/agenda.html).

I found arbitrary texts talking about RM600 and Reliant Unix, but
that's not what I want. (Or do I want to have the 2nd exotic O/S
running?)

MfG, JBG

---

From: Florian Lohoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 14:54:43 -0800

> found at http://www.save.de/bereiche/ak_s/sap/sap1000/agenda.html).

I dont think they mean THE RM600 or they mean RM600/Reliant 
and/or Linux/i386

> that's not what I want. (Or do I want to have the 2nd exotic O/S

The RM600 is big endian only AFAIK and was running Sinix/Reliant
only. The RM200 port which existed and which might be completely 
outdated and non-functional now is for little endian which
the RM200 were delivered with for running Windows-NT.

Thus - Its a completely new port ...

Flo

---

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 00:02:47 +0100

On Fri, 2001-11-09 14:54:43 -0800, Florian Lohoff <[email-masked]>
> Thus - Its a completely new port ...

Shit. Does anybody know something about Siemen's / SNI's / Wincor's
documentation policy? Karsten? Any hope to get the box running with
linux?

MfG, JBG

---

From: Florian Lohoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 17:09:00 -0800

> documentation policy? Karsten? Any hope to get the box running with

There is no documentation i know of - But we should be able to reactivate
a couple of people within SNI/Paderborn (Probably they are even reading
on here) which can at least give good answers to intelligent questions.

Flo

---

From: Karsten Merker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 21:54:43 +0100

[RM600]
> documentation policy? Karsten? Any hope to get the box running with

AFAIK: no chance.

Greetings,
Karsten
-- 
#include <standard_disclaimer>
Nach Paragraph 28 Abs. 3 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
oder Uebermittlung meiner Daten fuer Werbezwecke oder fuer die Markt- oder
Meinungsforschung.