Subject: AW: Cross Compiler again

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 18:13:46 +0100

> I regularly use gcc 3.0.1 to build the latest oss cvs kernels without
> obvious incident.
> 
I am using a 2.4.2 Kernel from Montavista, which is not working with gcc
3.0.1.
Maybe it would be wise to upgrade. Does anybody know if there are any
problems using a MIPS 5Kc with the current kernel?

regards 
Andre

---

From: Daniel Jacobowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 12:13:47 -0500

> problems using a MIPS 5Kc with the current kernel?

If you simply fix the one declaration it complains about (it involves
adding 'volatile' to one of the two declarations of xtime) then this
kernel actually will work under GCC 3.0.1.  We haven't QA'd it, but I
use it routinely for testing.

-- 
Daniel Jacobowitz                           Carnegie Mellon University
MontaVista Software                         Debian GNU/Linux Developer

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 22:28:55 +1100

> I am using a 2.4.2 Kernel from Montavista, which is not working with gcc

General rule for the kernel is don't use gcc 3.x.  It's not only buggier
than the older compilers, it also produces worse code.  In particular it's
know to misscompile certain drivers on other architectures.  I'm still
using egcs 1.1.2 which is known to be a very solid compiler.  That may seem
to be a bit overly conservative to some; for those I recommend a compiler
derived from 2.95.3.

> problems using a MIPS 5Kc with the current kernel?

Nothing that's known.

  Ralf

---

From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 13:06:26 +0100 (MET)

> to be a bit overly conservative to some; for those I recommend a compiler

 I'll just add that I'm particularly happy with 2.95.3 with a set of
patches.  I'm using it for one about year and a half now (it was 2.95.2
then, but MIPS changes are the same) and the last fix I made was in April. 
No problems since then both for the kernel and the userland.  The C++
backend is unchecked, though.  An RPM package is available at
'ftp://ftp.ds2.pg.gda.pl/pub/macro/'; you may extract patches and build it
manually if you don't use RPM. 

-- 
+  Maciej W. Rozycki, Technical University of Gdansk, Poland   +
+--------------------------------------------------------------+
+        e-mail: [email-masked], PGP key available        +

---

From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 13:06:26 +0100 (MET)