Subject: Re: [LV] FYI: Mopd ELF support

From: Dave Airlie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 22:48:54 +0000 (GMT)

>  Since I'll be away till Tuesday, expect an update in the middle of the
> next week.  I'm assuming ELF loading works, right?
>
not sure the VAX is handling this too well..

if I boot the vmlinux ELF file our build system produces it won't boot it
but I think this is due to our vmlinux file being linked for running with
VM switched on, and the mop loads it into memory that doesn't exist..

Dave.

>   Maciej

-- 
David Airlie, Software Engineer
http://www.skynet.ie/~airlied / [email-masked]
pam_smb / Linux DecStation / Linux VAX / ILUG person

---

From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 14:06:05 +0100 (MET)

> VM switched on, and the mop loads it into memory that doesn't exist..

 Do you set segments' p_paddr (physical address) correctly?  The current
version of ELF support uses p_vaddr (virtual address) for simplicity, as
the ELF specification mandates loadable program's segments to be ordered
by an ascending value of their p_vaddr.  I'll fix the program to use
p_paddr instead.  The difference is insignificant for the DECstation since
its firmware uses virtual addresses -- MIPS never exposes physical
addresses to a program (well, almost, but that's irrelevant here).

  Maciej

-- 
+  Maciej W. Rozycki, Technical University of Gdansk, Poland   +
+--------------------------------------------------------------+
+        e-mail: [email-masked], PGP key available        +