Subject: Status RM200

From: Florian Lohoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 20:45:09 +0100

Hi,
i guess the RM200 parts are untested for at least a year (possibly
even more). Does anyone work on this or does know a working
checkout date ?

Flo
-- 
Florian Lohoff                  [email-masked]             +49-5201-669912
Nine nineth on september the 9th              Welcome to the new billenium

---

From: Karsten Merker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 21:34:50 +0100

> even more). Does anyone work on this or does know a working

Ralf has at least made the RM200 support compile again while we
were driving home from Oldenburg :-).
I do not know if it really works though - wrong endianess...

Greetings,
Karsten
-- 
#include <standard_disclaimer>
Nach Paragraph 28 Abs. 3 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
oder Uebermittlung meiner Daten fuer Werbezwecke oder fuer die Markt- oder
Meinungsforschung.

---

From: Florian Lohoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 23:17:37 +0100

> I do not know if it really works though - wrong endianess...

How can the RM200 port be wrong endianess - The RM200 is bi-endian
thus any endianess would be ok (As long as the port does not assume
a specific endianess except the prom stuff).

AFAIK the RM200 was supported little endian as it was ported to the
Windows NT delivered machines.

Flo

---

From: Martin Schulze <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 23:35:48 +0100

> a specific endianess except the prom stuff).

As I remember, you can't switch to "the right" endianess without a support
drivers f*ckup disk - which hasn't appeared on the stage yet.

Regards,

	Joey

-- 
Computers are not intelligent.  They only think they are.

---

From: Florian Lohoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 00:00:11 +0100

> drivers f*ckup disk - which hasn't appeared on the stage yet.

If you have the PartNo of the machine i might be able to get some
system boot-floppies.

Flo

---

From: Karsten Merker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 07:18:10 +0100

> > a specific endianess except the prom stuff).

Unfortunately the firmware functions are different between little- and
big-endian firmware and there are quite some parts in the RM200 support
which currently do not work (and some even do not compile) on a big-endian
machine due to missing (correct) definitions. Another problem regarding 
the big endian firmware is that nobody seems to have documentation about
it, not even a function vector table.

> drivers f*ckup disk - which hasn't appeared on the stage yet.

Right - Ralf had asked around for some disks to convert his LE RM200C to
BE firmware for further development,  but nobody had yet been able to
come up with some. Additionally, AFAICS these disks are different for
different machine types and possibly even for different CPU types
(RM200 EISA vs. RM200C PCI and R4k vs R5k). If anybody knows more about
these issues, any help is welcome.

Greetings,
Karsten

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 17:19:50 +1100

> even more). Does anyone work on this or does know a working

I'm only maintaining in the sense of making sure the default configuration
still compiles.  The last kernel I know is working is 2.1.73 which needs
some patches that are not in the standard CVS.  Even if the RM200C is
broken, it's a relativly sane system and so fixing should be fairly easy.

  Ralf

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 17:25:50 +1100

> it, not even a function vector table.

As I understand the big endian firmware is just yet another ARC firmware
implementation with some support for old MIPS firmware style vector tables.

  Ralf

---

From: Florian Lohoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 17:39:21 +0100

> it, not even a function vector table.

I compiled a kernel yesterday - The only thing comlaining is a
header file for some definitions.

> these issues, any help is welcome.

They are - The disk type can be determined by the PartNo.

Flo

---

From: Florian Lohoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 17:39:47 +0100

> broken, it's a relativly sane system and so fixing should be fairly easy.

BTW: Do you still have those patches ?

Flo

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:12:48 +1100

> BTW: Do you still have those patches ?

Yes, on a machine that is on the other side of the globe ...  As I remember
those patches were mostly stuff like endianess fixes to the NCR driver
which is looking very different today.  Nothing that would still apply
these days.

  Ralf