Subject: kernel bug in linux2.4.3

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 17:12:08 -0800

Hello,

I took the linux kernel 2.4.3 from ftp://ftp.mips.com/pub/linux/mips/kernel/2.4/src/.
This kernel was ported for MIPS32 ISA and its supposed to work with all the
mips 4kc core. I took the kernel and ported for our Philips processor PR3950,
which is based on a mips 4kc core.

I have some issues in the reserve_bootmem() & the paging_init() in the
arch/mips/kernel/setup.c. Itseems that they fail in the alloc_bootmem ().
I commented these functions and got till console_init() to get the print messages
on my screen. I got the message as Kernel Bug in bootmem.c

Itseems that the functions BUG() has been executed.
So is this a kernel bug? I mean is there some problem in the kernel which has been
ported or is it something related to improper memory initialization?.

regards,
Balaji

---

From: Jun Sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 18:04:26 -0800

> on my screen. I got the message as Kernel Bug in bootmem.c

Does PR3950 have ll/sc instructions?  If not, make sure the config file
reflects that properly.  Otherwise alloc_bootmem() will hang for ever. 
Commenting them out certainly is not the solution. :-)

Jun