Subject: RedHat 7.1 cross toolchain kernel build problem

From: "TWEDE,ROGER (HP-Boise,ex1)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 13:06:00 -0500

Does anyone have any ideas why the i386->mipsel cross toolchain at
oss.sgi.com:/pub/linux/redhat/7.1/RPMS/i386/toolchain* fails to build
vgacon.o in the kernel's drivers/video directory?

I get the following errors from the assembler:
{standard input}:4683: Error: expression too complex
{standard input}:4683: Fatal error: internal Error, line 1980,
../../tools-20011020/gas/config/tc-mips.c
make[3]: *** [vgacon.o] Error 1

Apparently the compiler has generated assembly which the assembler cannot
handle.
I compiled to a .s assembly file and line 4683 was simply 'sb $6,$5($3)'.

Thanks,

Roger

---

From: Daniel Jacobowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 13:21:17 -0500

> I compiled to a .s assembly file and line 4683 was simply 'sb $6,$5($3)'.

If you search the list archives, I've posted patches for this several
times.  It's a compiler bug but can be worked around in io.h.  $5($3)
is not a legal addressing mode.

-- 
Daniel Jacobowitz                           Carnegie Mellon University
MontaVista Software                         Debian GNU/Linux Developer

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 01:08:16 +1100

> is not a legal addressing mode.

The current kernel source has replaced the inline assembler functions in
include/asm-mips/io.h thus this is no longer necessary.

  Ralf