Subject: compiler problem

From: Pete Popov <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Nov 2001 10:53:36 -0800

I'm running into this problem when using the oss.sgi.com toolchain:

mips-linux-gcc -D__ASSEMBLY__ -D__KERNEL__
-I/home/ppopov/workdir/master/sforge/linux-dev/include -G 0
-mno-abicalls -fno-pic -mcpu=r5000 -mips2 -Wa,--trap -pipe -c entry.S -o
entry.o
entry.S: Assembler messages:
entry.S:180: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
make[1]: *** [entry.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/ppopov/workdir/master/sforge/linux-dev/arch/mips/kernel'
make: *** [_dir_arch/mips/kernel] Error 2
[ppopov@zeus linux-dev]$ 

What's the recommended oss binutils version?

Pete

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 13:47:18 +1100

> What's the recommended oss binutils version?

I'm using 2.9.5-3.  But your problem more smells like a bug in the source.

  Ralf

---

From: Geoffrey Espin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 13:26:51 -0800

I discovered that HJ Lu's toolchain seems to generate binaries
sometimes nearly twice what I used to get with the old VR toolchain.
Here are some of my apps (-static -stripped):

OLD 'VR' tools

    -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       302384 Oct  4  2001 chat
    -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       443848 Oct  4  2001 iptables
    -r-sr-x---    1 root     root       619620 Oct  4  2001 pppd
    -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       445788 Oct  4  2001 thttpd
    -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       335560 Oct  4  2001 udhcpd

NEW gcc version 2.96 20000731

    -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     espin      543876 Nov 13 16:13 chat
    -rwxr-xr-x    1 espin    espin      740092 Nov 13 16:13 iptables
    -r-sr-x---    1 root     pppusers   907256 Nov 13 16:13 pppd
    -rwxr-xr-x    1 espin    espin      703880 Nov 13 16:13 thttpd
    -rwxr-xr-x    1 espin    espin      599200 Nov 13 16:13 udhcpd

I guess this is most likely a glibc issue?

Geoff
-- 
Geoffrey Espin
[email-masked]

---

From: "H . J . Lu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 14:07:14 -0800

> Here are some of my apps (-static -stripped):
			    ^^^^^^^
> I guess this is most likely a glibc issue?

Yes. If you use -static, the binary will be bigger. If you want
smaller binaries, you should check out my sglibc.

H.J.