Subject: Cross Compiler again

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 10:08:44 +0100

Hi.

For my environment I need a compiler that supports dwarf debug information.
Sadly my precompiled version does not have this support so I tried it on my
own, using Bradley D. LaRonde's  HowTo. 
All went well but I had to learn that GCC 3.0.1 is not able to compile a
current kernel. So I tried version 2.95.3, but I ran into the same problem
that I had last time I tried such a thing. When compiling glibc the process
failed because of a missing -D__PIC__ option. I was told that this has to do
with a non-MIPS compiler that is used, but the compiler used is my previous
build static version of gcc. 
I don't know what else may be wrong or where to look. Can anybody enlighten
me?

Or has anybody a precompiled gcc with dwarf support for download (That is
able to compile a current kernel, of course. ;-) )?

Best regards
--
Andre Messerschmidt

Application Engineer
Infineon Technologies AG

---

From: "H . J . Lu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 02:03:34 -0800

> able to compile a current kernel, of course. ;-) )?

May I ask why you want dwarf? FWIW, gcc 2.96 in my RedHat 7.1 mips port
supports dwarf, but not as default. I don't know how well it works with
dwarf. Yes, both cross compiler running on RedHat/x86 7.1/7.2 and
native compiler are provided in my mips port.

H.J.

---

From: "Bradley D. LaRonde" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 10:53:08 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2001 4:08 AM
Subject: Cross Compiler again

> current kernel.

I regularly use gcc 3.0.1 to build the latest oss cvs kernels without
obvious incident.

Regards,
Brad