Subject: PCI ethernet cards

From: David Milburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 17:29:13 -0600

Hello,

Can anyone recommend some PCI 100 Mbit ethernet cards/drivers
that work well with the 2.4 linux-mips kernel?

Thanks,
David

---

From: Kevin Paul Herbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 23:42:13 -0800

>that work well with the 2.4 linux-mips kernel?

I've used the tulip driver and a DEC21140-based ethernet adapter 
(proprietary) on rm7000/big endian. There are a few endian bugs (at 
least in 2.4.2) dealing with some debugging messages, but besides 
that the driver works just fine.

Note that the 2.4.2 tulip driver uses PCI I/O space. If you don't 
support PCI I/O space on your platform, this may be a problem. Later 
kernels have an option for using memory mapped PCI space, but I 
haven't tried that driver option yet.

I've also successfully used an i82543-based PCI adapter using the 
driver available on intel's website. This is a 10/100/1000 adapter. 
Again, the only changes that I needed were because of the proprietary 
nature of my platform's I/O interfaces; if you are using intel's 
adapter the driver should work for you out of the box.

Kevin
--

---

From: "Kevin D. Kissell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 09:26:50 +0100

> that work well with the 2.4 linux-mips kernel?

At MIPS, we use AMD PCnet32 cards pretty exclusively,
and with good success under both 2.2 and 2.4.  For 2.2,
we did a pretty thorough reworking of the driver to deal with 
MIPS endianness and (especially) cache issues, but I believe
we use the 2.4 driver "out of the box".  YMMV, of course.

            Kevin K.