Subject: Re: Mips16 toolchain?

From: Hartvig Ekner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 21:37:29 +0100 (CET)

Dominic Sweetman writes:
> 
> We are also developing a compiler from the same source tree, but
> configured for Linux.  That was the compiler we'll be looking for
> beta-testers for in the next couple of months.
> 
> If you want to be able to build MIPS16 applications and then run them
> on Linux, this is more challenging.  You have to build everything
> static: then it works mostly, and some people at MIPS have built and
> run some programs.

I have built glibc in a static and non-PIC version to allow linking against
M16 user apps (non-PIC required because current Linux compilers cannot 
generate M16 PIC code). It worked fine using the Algo 5.0 Beta for Linux. 
I successfully built a few applications (ones which only required libc).

It won't be really useful until somebody builds a complete library set
which is static and non-PIC, or PIC support gets included in the M16
code generator.

/Hartvig