Subject: Toolchain question

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 21:34:06 +0100

Hi!

Which cross compiler and binutils are currently known to be good for
kernel compilation? I'm (for both LE and BE) currently still using
this gcc-3.0 snapshot from the simple/crossdev "package". It's a
bit old, but working quite good.

What compiler/binutils are currently advisable? Current CVS from
binutils, current gcc 3.0 branch from CVS?

MfG, JBG

-- 
Jan-Benedict Glaw   .   [email-masked]   .   +49-172-7608481
	 -- New APT-Proxy written in shell script --
	   http://lug-owl.de/~jbglaw/software/ap2/

---

From: Johannes Stezenbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 16:42:02 +0100

> binutils, current gcc 3.0 branch from CVS?

I'm using binutils-2.12.90.0.1 and gcc-2.95.4-debian, which
was recommended here. Read the the thread on "gcc include strangeness"
around Feb. 11 for details.

Regards,
Johannes

---

From: Geert Uytterhoeven <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 16:47:13 +0100 (MET)

> around Feb. 11 for details.

Are you compiling natively, or did you create a cross-compiler using the
gcc-2.95.4-debian sources?

In the latter case, I'm interested in the magic you used to build the
cross-compiler, since I can't seem to build a cross-compiler for any arch using
those sources (2.95.2 was fine).

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [email-masked]

In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But
when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that.
							    -- Linus Torvalds

---

From: Johannes Stezenbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:02:28 +0100

> those sources (2.95.2 was fine).

I built a cross compiler. After 'apt-get source gcc-2.95' I did:
(The instructions in debian/README.cross did not work for me.)

- edit debian/rules.def so that
      TARGETS=mips
    (README.cross mentions you have to do this)
- run
  $ debian/rules patch
- now you have a patched source tree for mips in src-mips, which
  configures and builds fine.

HTH,
Johannes