Subject: hello

From: "David Christensen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:55:00 -0800

[email-masked]:

Hello!  I have the opportunity to work on MIPS Linux using a MIPS Atlas
(4Kc) board.

1.  Is there a reason why SourceForge isn't being used for the MIPS
    Linux project?

2.  What is the preferred host OS for MIPS Linux kernel and application
    cross development (especially the MIPS Altas)?

3.  What is the preferred toolchain for MIPS Linux kernel and
    application cross development (especially the MIPS Altas)?

4.  Is MIPS Linux self-hosted?

5.  Can you do native development on MIPS Linux?

6.  Does MIPS Linux support sound (oss or alsa) on any platform?  Does
    it support sound on MIPS Atlas?

TIA,

David

---

From: "David Christensen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 18:01:54 -0800

Leo:

> http://linux-mips.sourceforge.net/
>
> Fully equipped with toolchain howto and all.

OK thanks for the pointer.  I searched SourceForge for "MIPS Linux"
before posting to [email-masked], and came up with "MIPS Linux"
and "Linux MIPS".  Neither project had released files, so I thought they
were dead.  Should I continue to use the [email-masked] mailing
list, or switch to linux-mips on SourceForge?

David

---

From: Florian Lohoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 13:11:14 +0100

> 1.  Is there a reason why SourceForge isn't being used for the MIPS

The Linux-mips project is much older than sourceforge and looking at the
history of hyped venture capital companys does not really give a good
feeling about using sourceforge. Personally spoken i dont like
sourceforge - For most cases its just too bloated and working for ISPs
its not a problem to get some public accesible ftp/web/cvs space.

> 4.  Is MIPS Linux self-hosted?

Definitly

> 5.  Can you do native development on MIPS Linux?

Yep - The Debian autobuilder run native on little and big endian.

>     it support sound on MIPS Atlas?

Some rumors about Indy/Indigo2 HAL support have been heard.

The problem with some sourceforge trees and thesplit up information is 
that like you already experienced is a real problem for Linux-mips
as there is no "source of the only wisdom". I dont like that
tree-forking etc. Either build your stuff clean - ready for inclusion - 
or just drop the tree under the table as a big bad ugly hack.

Flo
-- 
Florian Lohoff                  [email-masked]             +49-5201-669912
Nine nineth on september the 9th              Welcome to the new billenium

---

From: Adrian Schroeter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 13:14:18 +0100 (CET)

> Some rumors about Indy/Indigo2 HAL support have been heard.

oss works for me here on Indy/Indigo2. The arts drivers seems to be too
outdated atm.

bye
adrian

**********************************************************************
Adrian Schroeter
SuSE AG, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, 90429 Nuernberg, Germany
email: [email-masked]   (495 mails already received today.)