Subject: xfs

From: Pete Popov <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 Mar 2002 10:22:07 -0800

I see on SGI's web site that XFS is supported only on x86 and IA64. Has
anyone tried it on mips?

Pete

---

From: Seth Mos <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 19:42:09 +0100 (CET)

> I see on SGI's web site that XFS is supported only on x86 and IA64. Has
Not that I know off.

People have allready tested XFS on Sparc sparc64 alpha PPC and S390.

So far there is positive feedback about the sparc alpha PP and sparc64
ports.

You will have to try it. AFAIK the SGI people don't test XFS on the mips
boxes. The kernel source is mostly compatible with the newer compilers out
there like 2.95.3 and u.

I think you will need to merge the mips and XFS CVS tree and edit some
arch specific files like the syscalls. If you also want to use ACLs make
sure you have the latest xfsprogs tools.

Cheers
Seth

---

From: "Martin K. Petersen" <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 Mar 2002 14:22:43 -0500

>>>>> "Pete" == Pete Popov <[email-masked]> writes:

Pete> I see on SGI's web site that XFS is supported only on x86 and
Pete> IA64. Has anyone tried it on mips?

We did some Linux/XFS testing on an Origin 2000 about a year ago.
Don't think anyone has tried it since then.

But it should Just Work<tm>.  Let us know if it doesn't.

-- 
Martin K. Petersen, Principal Linux Consultant, Linuxcare, Inc.
[email-masked], http://www.linuxcare.com/
SGI XFS for Linux Developer, http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/

---

From: Pete Popov <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 Mar 2002 16:07:48 -0800

> But it should Just Work<tm>.  Let us know if it doesn't.

I took 1.0.2 patch and applied it against the latest linux_2_4 oss
kernel. Actually, it's the latest oss plus additional patches I've sent
to Ralf, but I think those are stable.  The patch did not apply cleanly
but the problems were easy to fix.  I didn't port the additional x86
syscalls because they appear to be attribute/acl related only.  

I cross compiled the kernel with 2.95.3 based tools (I know the older
toolchain is recommended but ...).  xfsprogs I compiled natively with
the same version tools.  The kernel boots and I was able to create an
XFS file system on one of the partitions.  Mounting works. Unmounting
consistently results in a crash, illegal access to location 0x00000018. 
It's probably easy to fix since it's 100% reproducible.  Back to
mounting the fs -- I ran bonnie++ on it. It ran for quite a while until
it got to the "sequential" write test and then the kernel froze.

If I get to play with it some more, I'll send you any useful info I
might have.

Pete

---

From: Keith Owens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 20:17:00 +1100

On 08 Mar 2002 10:22:07 -0800, 
>I see on SGI's web site that XFS is supported only on x86 and IA64. Has

Anybody wanting to port XFS to new architectures should start with
  ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/download/patches/2.4.18
I split the XFS patches up so people can pick and choose which
components they use, it makes it easier to exclude code like kdb,
kbuild 2.5 or ia64 from the port.  Note the ia64 patch, you will need a
MIPS equivalent.

When you get it working, send us the changes from the split patches.

---

From: Pete Popov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 10:12:42 -0800

> kbuild 2.5 or ia64 from the port.  Note the ia64 patch, you will need a

Great, thank you.
 
> When you get it working, send us the changes from the split patches.

I will, if I get to work on it.

Pete

---

From: "Steven J. Hill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 23:30:55 -0600

> I see on SGI's web site that XFS is supported only on x86 and IA64. Has
Oh most definitely. I've been using it on my NEC 5432 platform for almost
a year now, little endian. Works great. I've compiled the Linux/MIPS 2.4.x
kernel with toolchains based on latest binutils, gcc-3.0.x, gcc-3.1 and
glibc-2.2.3 and glibc-2.2.5 combinations.

-Steve

-- 
 Steven J. Hill - Embedded SW Engineer

---

From: "Liam Davies" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 09:04:09 +1000

Pete,

> kernel.
I tried the same against 2.4.14, but had the same problems you
described below. I then tried the split-only and split-kernel patches from
the
2.4.14 XFS cvs snapshot, taken just before or after 1.0.2 release - no
changes required. Everything seems to be working dandy.

> the same version tools.
I haven't tried any compilers earlier that gcc 3.0, but 3.0.1 and 3.0.3
have both worked for me.

> The kernel boots and I was able to create an
I had both of these symptoms after applying the 1.0.2 patch in its
entirety.  After switching to split-kernel and split-only patches only
these things went away. I didn't delve any deeper.

Liam

------
Agile Tv