Subject: Console problem

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 10:18:41 +0100

Hi.

I wrote my own console driver based on the ARC console driver (to keep it
simple). When I am booting my modified 2.4.3 kernel, I get an "unable to
open initial console" error (code: No such device). I have tracked it down
to the point where the kernel searches for a valid TTY device with major and
minor ID 4:64. 
All devices that are present at this time are: 3:0-3:256 2:0-2:256 5:0 5:1.
Obviously there is no 4:64 device.

I mount root via NFS and my devices are as follows:.
crw-------    1 root     tty        5,   1 Mär  4 17:49 console
crw-------    1 root     tty        4,   0 Mär  4 17:49 tty0
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     tty        4,   1 Mär  4 17:49 tty1
...
crw-r--r--    1 root     root       4,  64 Mär  5 08:26 ttyS0
crw-r--r--    1 root     root       4,  65 Mär  5 08:26 ttyS1

I also add a "console=ttyS0,9600" to the kernel command line. 
Am I missing anything? Why is there no device 4:64? (My console driver
identifies itself as 4,64)   
Any help would be appreciated.

best regards
--
Andre Messerschmidt

Application Engineer
Infineon Technologies AG

---

From: James Simmons <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 11:29:32 -0800 (PST)

> Obviously there is no 4:64 device.

Did you call register_console ?