Subject: device support on indy WS !?

From: Andrea Venturi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 13:12:01 +0100

hi,

i just put my hands on a couple of old indy r4000 (quite old)

i installed so far a debian woody linux distro! amazing..

i'm wondering about the bunch of special features available on the indy, 
how much are supported?

1. audio hal2: i saw in the cvs.sgi.com kernel the OSS hal2.* files; 
what about the guenther alsa0.9 port? is it finished? what about iec958 
spdif support?

2. isdn: there is a siemens isac-s chip (BTW i didn't see the hscx 
twin): is it supported now? it should be not to difficult to leverage 
the ia32-isdn hisax (passive) isac driver _if_ the hpc3 delivers the 
irq? what do you think about it?

bye

andrea venturi

---

From: Nicolas Sauzede <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 14:01:11 +0100 (CET)

Sorry, Andrea, I can't answer your question, but I've got one for you..

 --- Andrea Venturi <[email-masked]> a écrit : > hi,
> i installed so far a debian woody linux distro! amazing..

I have an old Indy too (R4K) and I would like to test the debian you
told about.. I couldn't find it (the mips port) on the debian site.

Do someone know where I could find the bin distro, ready to boot to
from the Indy ??

For now, I could just boot the kernel of the old Hard Hat (nfs root
doesn't work for me) from the local SCSI disk containing an Irix.

Thanks,

Nicolas Sauzede.

___________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!? -- Une adresse @yahoo.fr gratuite et en français !
Yahoo! Mail : http://fr.mail.yahoo.com

---

From: Ladislav Michl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 14:07:07 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Andrea Venturi wrote:

[snip]
> what about the guenther alsa0.9 port? is it finished? what about iec958 

I can't say anything about ALSA 0.9 port. I decided for OSS driver,
because I wanded to listen music and there was no driver. OSS is much
better documented interface than ALSA.

Sometimes you get HAL2 timeout when closing /dev/dsp. It is my fault and
I'm sorry for it. Following patch solves it.

Index: linux/drivers/sound/hal2.c
===================================================================
RCS file: /cvs/linux/drivers/sound/hal2.c,v
retrieving revision 1.3.2.5
diff -u -r1.3.2.5 hal2.c
--- linux/drivers/sound/hal2.c	2002/02/15 02:14:40	1.3.2.5
+++ linux/drivers/sound/hal2.c	2002/03/04 12:33:53
@@ -691,32 +691,25 @@
 	DECLARE_WAITQUEUE(wait, current);
 	hal2_codec_t *dac = &hal2->dac;
 	int ret = 0;
-	signed long timeout = 1 + 1000 * H2_BUFFER_SIZE * 2 * dac->voices *
+	signed long timeout = 1000 * H2_BUFFER_SIZE * 2 * dac->voices *
 			      HZ / dac->sample_rate / 900;
 
 	down(&dac->sem);
 	
-	while (dac->tail->info.cnt > 0 && ret == 0) {
+	while (dac->pbus.pbus->pbdma_ctrl & HPC3_PDMACTRL_ISACT) {
 		add_wait_queue(&dac->dma_wait, &wait);
-		set_current_state(TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE);
+		set_current_state(TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE);
 		if (!schedule_timeout(timeout))
 			/* We may get bogus timeout when system is 
 			 * heavily loaded */
 			if (dac->tail->info.cnt) {
 				printk("HAL2: timeout...\n");
-				ret = -ETIME;
+				hal2_stop_dac(hal2);
+				hal2_reset_dac_pointer(hal2);
 			}
-		if (signal_pending(current))
-			ret = -ERESTARTSYS;
 		remove_wait_queue(&dac->dma_wait, &wait);
 	}
 
-	/* Make sure that DMA is stopped */
-	if (dac->pbus.pbus->pbdma_ctrl & HPC3_PDMACTRL_ISACT) {
-		hal2_stop_dac(hal2);
-		hal2_reset_dac_pointer(hal2);
-	}
-	
 	up(&dac->sem);
 	
 	return ret;
@@ -1108,7 +1101,7 @@
 	} else {
 		do {
 			/* ~10% longer */
-			signed long timeout = 1 + 1000 * H2_BUFFER_SIZE *
+			signed long timeout = 1000 * H2_BUFFER_SIZE *
 				2 * adc->voices * HZ / adc->sample_rate / 900;
 			DECLARE_WAITQUEUE(wait, current);
 			ssize_t cnt = 0;
@@ -1169,7 +1162,7 @@
 	} else {
 		do {
 			/* ~10% longer */
-			signed long timeout = 1 + 1000 * H2_BUFFER_SIZE *
+			signed long timeout = 1000 * H2_BUFFER_SIZE *
 				2 * dac->voices * HZ / dac->sample_rate / 900;
 			DECLARE_WAITQUEUE(wait, current);
 			ssize_t cnt = 0;

recording doesn't work and will not work until someone provide better
documentation.

btw, what is iec958 spdig?

> irq? what do you think about it?

there is currenty no support. any documentation available?

---

From: "Soeren Laursen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 14:11:08 +0100

http://www.linux-debian.de/howto/debian-mips-woody-install.html

---

From: Andrea Venturi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 14:50:34 +0100

> better documented interface than ALSA.

..................
> btw, what is iec958 spdig?

it's a digital audio interface, for some info, see here:

   http://www.epanorama.net/documents/audio/spdif.html

in the indy there is a consumer mini-jack connector; you should be able 
to link a dolby surround digital amplifier or a dat or similar digital 
audio device..

see here:

   http://www.futuretech.vuurwerk.nl/i2sec3.html

BTW, on the mainboard, i can see the cs-8411, and there is the 8411.pdf 
inside the audio.zip doc package

> there is currenty no support. any documentation available?

apart from the hpc3.ps on:

   ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/doc/indy/

you should find the isac-s (peb2086) specs here:
http://www.infineon.com/cgi/ecrm.dll/ecrm/scripts/prod_ov.jsp?oid=13633&cat_oid=-9183

but i don't know if it's enough.. i mean, if we should know something 
more on the way the isac-s chip is linked thru the pbus to the hpc3 chip.

bye

andrea venturi

---

From: "Andrea Venturi (personale)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 15:00:45 +0100

> http://www.linux-debian.de/howto/debian-mips-woody-install.html

two things, i believe should be useful to add to this woody-install:

1- i had some problem with the tftp "port over 32768" issue to make 
tftpboot.img downloadable to my indy, so had to type this on my linux 
tftp server:

  echo "2048 32767" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range

2- fdisking my new 2GB scsi disk (the indy came with an unuseful 600MB 
disk, good only for irix..), i scratch my head against the "SGI 
disklabel" thing[*].. so remember to use the e(x)pert option in fdisk to 
find how to create a SGI-compatable partition scheme..

i just put up some notes about my beginnings on the indy here:

   http://marge.cineca.it/aventuri/public/indy.html

bye

[*] coming from just ia32-linux eXPerience, i was used to a PeCee 
mentality..

---

From: Ladislav Michl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 15:12:46 +0100 (CET)

>    http://www.epanorama.net/documents/audio/spdif.html

ah. it is known as AES in SGI world...

> inside the audio.zip doc package

basically, it should be easy to support it (but there is no support,
because i have no such device and therefore don't need it). HAL2 binding
to CS8411 is the same as to CS4216. HAL2 hides all hardware details of
Crystal chips and provides you indirect PIO access.

>    ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/doc/indy/

ISDN glue is connected to IOC chip, but implementation details are 
missing :-( see section 4.6 of ioc.ps

> more on the way the isac-s chip is linked thru the pbus to the hpc3 chip.

that is exactly what i'm not able to figure out...

	ladis

---

From: "Soeren Laursen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 20:54:39 +0100

> BTW, in this page, the author chose to install packages from the
> internet, but I would rather prefer download all the install distro (is
> there some big tarball containing every packages) in the afternoon, and
> put it on some HD I can mount as nfs from some linux server ??
There are some root.tar.gz that I used in the "old days". Where they  
are now - no clue!

> To conclude : do you know if it is possible to get the whole
> debian-mips bin distro in one file ??
You should also be able to download the debian-mips packages and 
place it on you own ftp/http server.

Soeren,

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 10:43:42 +0100

> that is exactly what i'm not able to figure out...

Long time ago Thomas Bogendoerfer claimed to have ISDN working but he
then became too busy and stopped working on MIPS stuff.

  Ralf