Subject: Warning: persistent break condition on serial port 0.

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 20:59:48 +0100

Hi!

I've got an Indy R4k6 some time ago (I managed to run Linux on it using
nfsroot) and now I attempted to really install it. However, I've now
got some problem with the serial port: I can read the boot-up messages,
but I cannot intercept the bootstrap (as I could do it some weeks
ago):

                         Running power-on diagnostics...

Warning: persistent break condition on serial port 0.
Warning: persistent break condition on serial port 0.

                           Starting up the system...

               To perform system maintenance instead, press <Esc>

So I get warnings about a "persistent break condition", but that's
not caused by the cable I use (I've used it weeks ago and it worked).

Did I manage to kill the serial port? Any other hint on this?

MfG, JBG

-- 
Jan-Benedict Glaw   .   [email-masked]   .   +49-172-7608481
	 -- New APT-Proxy written in shell script --
	   http://lug-owl.de/~jbglaw/software/ap2/

---

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 21:40:20 +0100

On Thu, 2002-03-07 20:59:48 +0100, Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]>
>                To perform system maintenance instead, press <Esc>

I've now modified the cable: it's only signal ground and the receiving
wire, so I really can only receive the Indy's messages. I cannot
send anything anymore, but I still get those messages. I think this
means that the box is now a paperweight: no way to access it, because
I cannot even set console to ttyS1...

MfG, JBG

---

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 22:06:09 +0100

On Thu, 2002-03-07 21:40:20 +0100, Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]>
> I cannot even set console to ttyS1...

Things are getting better: I am root on that machine through a telnet
login (Irix 6.2 is running). Is there a way to set the console
device to ttyd1? Maybe that could work...

MfG, JBG