Subject: Problems with H.J's latest RPM 4.0.4 binary packages

From: Hartvig Ekner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 16:46:45 +0200 (MET DST)

I have started to update our 7.1 RH/MIPS installation images with all the
latest packages from H.J's collection.

The latest RPM package gives an up-front error no matter what one does, but
the command seems to work:

[hartvige@copmalt13 /bin]$ rpm --version
error: Macro %__id_u has empty body
RPM version 4.0.4
[hartvige@copmalt13 /bin]$

Before I start digging any deeper, has anybody else seen this and found the
explanation?

(Note that I have not yet finished compiling the glibc RPM natively as
required - this is currently ongoing).

/Hartvig

-- 
 _    _   _____  ____     Hartvig Ekner        Mailto:[email-masked]
 |\  /| | |____)(____                          Direct: +45 4486 5503
 | \/ | | |     _____)    MIPS Denmark         Switch: +45 4486 5555
T E C H N O L O G I E S   http://www.mips.com  Fax...: +45 4486 5556

---

From: "H . J . Lu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 09:40:37 -0700

> [hartvige@copmalt13 /bin]$

I have no problems with the mipsel rpm binary. Did you compile rpm 4.0.4
yourselves? Please send me

# cd /usr/lib/rpm
# grep __id_u * */*

H.J.

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 10:42:21 -0700

> required - this is currently ongoing).

Rpm has this nasty property of inherting much of it's configuration from
one generation into the next generation.  To get around this you will have
to hack the configuration of your current rpm in /usr/lib/rpm/ rsp.
/etc/rpm and rebuild.  I've seen even more funny things when crossbuilding
rpm.

  Ralf