Subject: Update of RedHat 7.1/mips

From: "H . J . Lu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 21:08:43 -0700

FYI, I updated a few packages in RedHat 7.1/mips. It has new gcc,
glibc, binutils and gdb.

H.J.
---
My mini-port of RedHat 7.1 is at

ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/redhat/7.1/

you should be able to put a small RedHat 7.1 on the mips/mipsel box and
compile the rest of RedHat 7.1 yourselves.

Here are something you should know:

1. The cross compiler hosted on RedHat 7.[12]/x86 is provided as a
toolchain rpm. The binary rpms for the mips and mipsel cross compilers
are included. This toolchain is a combination of gcc, binutils, gdb and
glibc. It is packaged for the cross compiling. It allows you to cross
compile to RedHat 7.1/mips from a RedHat 7.[12]/x86 host.
2. You have to find a way to put those rpms on your machine. I use
network boot and NFS root to do it.
3. install.tar.bz2 has some scripts to prepare NFS root and install
RedHat 7.1 on a hard drive.
4. baseline.tar.bz2 contains the cross build tree.
5. Since everything is cross compiled from x86, which is little endian,
many data files for mips, which is big endian, are either missing or
wrong. To get those data files for mips, you have to rebuild/install
the folowing rpms:

cracklib
glibc

natively on Linux/mips.

Thanks.

H.J.

---

From: "Gleb O. Raiko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 13:50:05 +0400

Hi,

> FYI, I updated a few packages in RedHat 7.1/mips. It has new gcc,

Will your glibc work on r3k (w/o ll, sc, double word instructions)? Or
you just don't care about 3rd class processors? 

Do you compile your distribution with -mips2 or there is a chance it
will work on r3k?
 
Regards,
Gleb.

---

From: "H . J . Lu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 09:32:08 -0700

> you just don't care about 3rd class processors? 

I didn't compile anything with -mipsN. But I don't have a r3k to test.

H.J.

---

From: "Gleb O. Raiko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 20:49:54 +0400

> I didn't compile anything with -mipsN. But I don't have a r3k to test.

OK. I will test myself.

Regards,
Gleb.

---

From: "Jay Carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 13:12:22 -0400

> FYI, I updated a few packages in RedHat 7.1/mips. It has new gcc,

Is there a quick summary of those changes?  Aside from binutils, which you
already describe, of course---and thank you for that.

Jay

---

From: "H . J . Lu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:16:00 -0700

> already describe, of course---and thank you for that.

I merged all the recent RedHat 7.1 updates. I also took sh-utils from
RedHat 7.2 to fix the date bug. Here is the list.

H.J.
----
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl        175660 Apr  8 19:14 zlib-1.1.3-25.7.1.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl        953640 Apr  8 19:17 pam-0.75-18.7.1.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl       1454824 Apr  8 19:22 ncurses-5.2-8.2.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl       6851075 Apr  8 19:27 tcltk-8.3.1-53.7.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl       5865232 Apr  8 19:47 rpm-4.0.4-7x.1.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl       1503718 Apr  8 19:56 freetype-2.0.5-3.1.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl        264946 Apr  8 19:56 gd-1.8.4-4.1.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl      10724600 Apr  8 20:07 binutils-2.12.90.0.4-1.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl       4369377 Apr  8 20:14 mpatrol-1.4.7-1.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl         36351 Apr  8 20:16 lockdev-1.0.0-5.1.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl        146033 Apr  8 20:18 at-3.1.8-23.1.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl         68948 Apr  8 20:18 authconfig-4.1.6-1.2.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl        370575 Apr  8 20:19 automake-1.4-8.3.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl         43152 Apr  8 20:21 devfsd-1.3.18-1.1.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl       1367227 Apr  8 20:23 e2fsprogs-1.26-1.71.1.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl      13356931 Apr  8 20:41 gcc-2.96-109.1.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl      11701958 Apr  8 20:49 gdb-5.2-0.2.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl       1283837 Apr  8 20:50 gettext-0.10.38-7.1.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl       1774533 Apr  8 20:53 groff-1.17.2-7.0.2.1.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl         29215 Apr  8 20:53 hdparm-4.1-3.1.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl        234396 Apr  8 20:54 iptables-1.2.4-0.71.2.1.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl         54885 Apr  8 20:55 ksymoops-2.4.0-3.2.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl         22341 Apr  8 20:57 mingetty-0.9.4-16.2.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl        966053 Apr  8 20:58 mount-2.11g-5.2.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl        237448 Apr  8 20:58 modutils-2.4.13-0.7.1.1.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl       2039668 Apr  8 21:00 mutt-1.2.5.1-0.7.1.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl        395818 Apr  8 21:01 ncftp-3.0.2-1.1.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl        247576 Apr  8 21:02 nfs-utils-1.0.1-1.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl        911685 Apr  8 21:05 openssh-3.1p1-1.1.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl         14645 Apr  8 21:09 rdate-1.0-7.1.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl        130453 Apr  8 21:14 SysVinit-2.78-17.2.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl        267754 Apr  8 21:15 telnet-0.17-18.1.1.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl        995402 Apr  8 21:19 util-linux-2.11f-17.1.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl         60015 Apr  8 21:21 wireless-tools-21-1.1.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl        114943 Apr  8 21:21 wvdial-1.41-12.1.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl      11921088 Apr 10 14:13 glibc-2.2.5-30.2.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl      36746146 Apr 10 15:26 toolchain-20020408-1.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl      50844326 Apr 11 11:43 XFree86-4.1.0-15.1.src.rpm
-rw-r--r--    1 hjl      hjl       1159621 Apr 17 19:51 sh-utils-2.0.11-5.1.src.rpm