Subject: Linux on the Origin 2000

From: Daniel Robert Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 11:00:22 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

My research centre has been donated a beautiful SGI Origin 2000 server (512
MB RAM, 2x180 MHz R10000 CPU) machine... we got IRIX up on it, but I'm quite
keen to try running Linux on it as well. I note in the linux-mips HOWTO
there is a mention that as of last year the kernel boots, and code to
support this machine is now in CVS, but it all sounds rather experimental.

Can anyone tell me what the status of Origin 2000 support is, and is it
worth trying to install? I'd be quite keen to help in testing Linux on this
machine (if I can get Debian up and running on it I will be very very happy
indeed :)

Thanks,

- Daniel

-- 
******************************************************************************
*      Daniel Franklin - Postgraduate student in Electrical Engineering
*      University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia  *  [email-masked]
******************************************************************************

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 18:18:48 -0700

> machine (if I can get Debian up and running on it I will be very very happy

Lacking access to a machine the code may have suffered some bitrot but
basically it's supposed to work though not as fullfeatured as the 32-bit
kernel.  We had it running on MP systems of 2-128 processors.

  Ralf