Subject: RTC question

From: Lanny DeVaney <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 16:52:39 -0500

I've used the NEW_TIME_C method to implement support for the Dallas 1501 
RTC in my MIPS port .  I now successfully read the hw clock, and the 
date program works, and I can change the time.

However, the hwclock program tells me that it can't access the Hardware 
Clock and tells me that /dev/rtc doesn't exist (although it actually 
does) when running hwclock --debug.  Also, I see an oddity that may be 
related - ping reports zero (as in 0 msec) round trip times always.  I 
configured CONFIG_RTC into the kernel, and checked the major, minor of 
/dev/rtc on my embedded ramdisk.  Also, I don't see /proc/driver/rtc.  

Is this normal behavior with NEW_TIME_C  configurations?  I've checked 
my rtc_get_time and rtc_set_time, ..., like I said, the 'date' program 
works, reading and writing to the clock.

Thanks,
Lanny DeVaney

---

From: Jun Sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 17:18:07 -0700

Ralf has not checked in the higher-level RTC driver yet.  You can either
build a kernel from the linux-mips project on sourceforge.net, where the driver
is included, or try to apply the outdated patch from

http://linux.junsun.net/patches/oss.sgi.com/submitted/011110.mips-rtc.011110.1900.patch

It was created on Nov 11, 2001.

Jun