Subject: cross-compiler for MIPS_RedHat7.1_Release-01.00 on Atlas/4Kc using RH7.3-i386 host

From: "David Christensen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 10:54:55 -0700

[email-masked]:

I have downloaded ftp://ftp.mips.com/pub/linux/mips/installation/redhat7
.1/01.00/MIPS_RedHat7.1_Release-01.00.iso, burned a CD, and followed the
instructions provided on the CD (/linux/installation/README) to install
Linux (little-endian) on a MIPS Atlas/4Kc board with a SCSI disk.  I
would now like to recompile the kernel to experiment with sound.  I have
posted to this mailing list before and was informed that I need a cross-
compiler, available on oss.sgi.com.  My host is Red Hat Linux-i386 7.3.

Following the instructions provided in Chapter 10 of the Linux/MIPS
HOWTO (http://oss.sgi.com/mips/mips-howto.html), I have located these
files:

    ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/crossdev/i386-linux/mipsel-linux/
        binutils-mipsel-linux-2.8.1-2.i386.rpm

    ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/crossdev/i386-linux/mipsel-linux/
        egcs-mipsel-linux-1.1.2-4.i386.rpm

    ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/glibc/mipsel-linux/
        glibc-2.0.6-5lm.mipsel.rpm

I am unable to find:

    glibc-crypt-2.0.6.tar.gz

    glibc-localedata-2.0.6.tar.gz

    glibc-linuxthreads-2.0.6.tar.gz

Does anybody have any comments or suggestions?

TIA,

David Christensen
[email-masked]

---

From: "David Christensen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 12:32:29 -0700

[email-masked]:

I tried installing the three packages anyway.  binutils and egcs
installed fine.  They contain files and directories with "mips-linux",
etc., in their names, so they don't conflict with my native i386
installation:

    root@r7320g:~# rpm -ihv binutils-mipsel-linux-2.8.1-2.i386.rpm
    Preparing...                ########################################
### [100%]
       1:binutils-mipsel-linux  ########################################
### [100%]

    root@r7320g:~# rpm -ihv egcs-mipsel-linux-1.1.2-4.i386.rpm
    Preparing...                ########################################
### [100%]
       1:egcs-mipsel-linux      ########################################
### [100%]

But glibc has problems:

    root@r7320g:~# rpm -ihv glibc-2.0.6-5lm.mipsel.rpm
    error: failed dependencies:
            glibc < 2.2.5 conflicts with glibc-common-2.2.5-34
            glibc < 2.1.90 conflicts with db1-1.85-8
            glibc < 2.1.90 conflicts with db2-2.4.14-10
            glibc < 2.1.90 conflicts with gnome-libs-1.4.1.2.90-14

Looking at the contents:

    root@r7320g:~# rpm -q -l -p glibc-2.0.6-5lm.mipsel.rpm | head
    /etc/nsswitch.conf
    /etc/rpc
    /lib/ld-2.0.6.so
    /lib/ld.so.1
    /lib/libBrokenLocale-2.0.6.so
    /lib/libBrokenLocale.so.1
    /lib/libc-2.0.6.so
    /lib/libc.so.6
    /lib/libcrypt-2.0.6.so
    /lib/libcrypt.so.1

It contains files that would break my native i386 installation:

    root@r7320g:~# ls -1 /etc/nsswitch.conf /etc/rpc /lib/ld*
    /etc/nsswitch.conf
    /etc/rpc
    /lib/ld-2.2.5.so
    /lib/ld-linux.so.2

Any comments or suggestions?

TIA,

David Christensen