Subject: indy scsi

From: Szabo Attila <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 14:42:47 +0200

2002, May 08 -> Florian Lohoff wrote :
> Probably no - 1.7MB/s sound not too bad - Remember - That machine
> is 10 Years old and was produced at times a i386 was modern which
> had 1MB/s memory bandwidth.

Yes, I know all of that, and I've expected only max 3-5 MB/sec but not
1.7.
The scsi bandwith on indy is 10MB/s, the disk is above 10 MB/s.
Maybe I expect too much

Thanks
--
------------------------------------------------------
A t t i l a | [email-masked] | S z a b o
------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 14:37:43 +0100 (BST)

> The scsi bandwith on indy is 10MB/s, the disk is above 10 MB/s.

An old 2Gb 5400 RPM drive ought to deliver about 2Mbytes/second data rates.
The 1.7 sounds suprisingly low unless the driver code doesn't support 
disconnect and scsi2 tagged stuff. For an old NCR538x/9x device without
those it sounds all too believable.

Alan

---

From: Geert Uytterhoeven <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 16:32:35 +0200 (MEST)

> those it sounds all too believable.

Doesn't the Indy have a wd33c93, like the Amiga 3000? If yes, 1.7 MiB/s is
indeed quite low.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [email-masked]

In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But
when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that.
							    -- Linus Torvalds

---

From: Florian Lohoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 16:52:44 +0200

> Doesn't the Indy have a wd33c93, like the Amiga 3000? If yes, 1.7 MiB/s is

It does have one of those. And it supports disconnect which was
the problem with the read corruption going on in former days.

Flo
-- 
Florian Lohoff                  [email-masked]             +49-5201-669912
                        Heisenberg may have been here.