Subject: Re: cross-compiler for MIPS_RedHat7.1_Release-01.00 on Atlas/4Kc using RH7.3-i386 host

From: Hartvig Ekner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 21:36:10 +0200 (CEST)

Hi David,

David Christensen writes:
> 
> [email-masked]:
> 
> I have downloaded ftp://ftp.mips.com/pub/linux/mips/installation/redhat7
> .1/01.00/MIPS_RedHat7.1_Release-01.00.iso, burned a CD, and followed the
> instructions provided on the CD (/linux/installation/README) to install
> Linux (little-endian) on a MIPS Atlas/4Kc board with a SCSI disk.

Note that you can install the Release-02.00 (with all the latest RPMs
from H.J.) as well on an Atlas, you'll just have to use the 2.4.3 install
kernel from the 01.00 CD image you downloaded, and everything else from 
the new release.

> would now like to recompile the kernel to experiment with sound.  I have
> posted to this mailing list before and was informed that I need a cross-
> compiler, available on oss.sgi.com.  My host is Red Hat Linux-i386 7.3.

For kernel cross compilation we use the following binary RPM's (LE shown only):

        binutils-mipsel-linux-2.9.5-3
        egcs-mipsel-linux-1.1.2-4

They can be found on:

        ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/crossdev/i386-linux/mipsel-linux/

/Hartvig

---

From: "David Christensen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 13:06:43 -0700

[email-masked] & Hartvig:

Hartvig Ekner wrote:
> from H.J.) as well on an Atlas, you'll just have to use the 2.4.3
> install kernel from the 01.00 CD image you downloaded, and everything
> else from the new release.

I'll keep that in mind for my next install.

>        egcs-mipsel-linux-1.1.2-4

I'll try what I've already installed and see what happens.  If it fails,
I'll upgrade binutils and try again.

Thank you for your help.  :-)

David

---

From: Muthukumar Ratty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 14:05:17 -0700 (PDT)

> > else from the new release.

Is there any latest kernel (2.5.xx) available for MIPS/Atlas?

> >        egcs-mipsel-linux-1.1.2-4

I played around with some cross-compilers and what I understood is

1. Algorithmics sde4 is not matured enough to compile 2.4.xx kernels (As
Dominic Sweetman mentioned in his reply to my help mail). He said sde5
will do but I dint get a chance to try this. Any update from anyone used it?

2. I followed BradLaRondes write up - Building a Modern Mips Tool chain (I
dont have the link irght now, but you can google it). It compiles the
kernel and Applications. But it requires kernel header lying around from previous
builds. So if you are just starting, then you may wanna grab the header
from somewhere. But the problem with this toolchain is: I was not able to
build Yamon SREC using this.

3. I also tried Steve Hills toolchain located at
ftp://ftp.cotw.com/Linux/MIPS/toolchain/experimental
It is complete and I can build kernel and applications with it. Again I
couldnt build Yamon SREC with it.

BTW you may need to do slight changes, like changing target from
little-mips to tradlittle-mips etc. Its simple but if you get stuck, post
it here and someone will help you.

All the best,
Muthu

---

From: Hartvig Ekner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 23:25:42 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

> Is there any latest kernel (2.5.xx) available for MIPS/Atlas?

No. Not from us anyway. Internally, we use the Linux systems heavily for
processor testing, so we tend to stay away from the bleeding edge (==
too  many problems and SW bugs). That is also why we haven't switched
to 2.4.18 until now.

That being said, there are probably many others who compile & use 2.5
kernels for MIPS.

> will do but I dint get a chance to try this. Any update from anyone used it?

We're using a beta of it - and there are known issues being worked on,
both compiling userland natively and kernel cross compiles.
You'll have to ask Dom when he expects final 5.0 to go out the door.

/Hartvig

---

From: "David Christensen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 17:23:11 -0700

[email-masked] & Muthukumar:

Muthukumar Ratty wrote:
> little-mips to tradlittle-mips etc. Its simple but if you get stuck,
> post it here and someone will help you.

So far, no problems.  :-)

Thank you for your reply.

David Christensen
[email-masked]