Subject: deleted /dev/zero

From: Jun Sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 18:01:20 -0700

I am running some stress tests (such as ltp, netperf, lmbench, etc) on the SMP 
swarm board.  Once in a while I notice /dev/zero will get deleted.  This 
causes all kinds of weired problems (such as internal gcc error.  Why?)

I don't know how to re-produce this problem yet.  It seems a little 
non-deterministic.  I would appreciate any insight into this problem.

Jun

---

From: Liam Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 11:19:00 +1000

> non-deterministic.  I would appreciate any insight into this problem.

The ltp mtest05 test had a bug in which it would remove /dev/zero when
it cleaned up. Have you got an updated ltp suite?

This is the fix that they did in late March to the mtest05 test.

/ltp/ltp/testcases/kernel/mem/mtest05/mmstress.c:246
-    if (strcmp(filename, "NULL") || strcmp(filename, "/dev/zero"))
+    if (strcmp(filename, "NULL") && strcmp(filename, "/dev/zero"))

I suppose that there may be other LTP tests that could have similar
bugs...

Cheers
Liam

---

From: Jun Sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 18:28:19 -0700

Thanks.  I am using an old version of ltp, and I still see the bug there.

Jun

---

From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 15:02:38 +0200 (MET DST)

> I suppose that there may be other LTP tests that could have similar

 Which only proves again one shouldn't run software as root unless
absolutely needed... 

-- 
+  Maciej W. Rozycki, Technical University of Gdansk, Poland   +
+--------------------------------------------------------------+
+        e-mail: [email-masked], PGP key available        +