Subject: RM200 big endian prom ?

From: Florian Lohoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 12:27:32 +0200

Hi,
i yesterday had a try booting my RM200 (Big Endian Sinix firmware)
with a big endian compiled kernel - It immediatly crashes in ArcWrite
as the Bios is not an Arc (Probably a bit similar).

Does anyone have interesting informations about that prom ?

BTW: There are really some funny lines in arc/init.c :)

arch/mips/arc/init.c
     36         if (pb->magic != 0x53435241) {
     37                 prom_printf("Aieee, bad prom vector magic %08lx\n", pb->magic);
     38                 while(1)
     39                         ;
     40         }
     41 

Calling ArcWrite in case of no Arc ;) At least one knows what happens
if the Firmware is giving out EPC Faulting address (Which in this case
is 0x6c)

Flo
-- 
Florian Lohoff                  [email-masked]             +49-5201-669912
                        Heisenberg may have been here.

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 16:11:10 +0800

> if the Firmware is giving out EPC Faulting address (Which in this case

So far the assumption is that SNI's firmware is lookling like ARCS which is
basically a big endian abortion of ARC.  Alternativly it might as well
look similar to the firmware of the old MIPS workstations such as the
RC3230 or similar.

I wonder if the the magic just needs to be endianess swapped?

  Ralf

---

From: Florian Lohoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 12:01:17 +0200

> I wonder if the the magic just needs to be endianess swapped?

 From dumping the area a0001000 it does not look like it - Not even
any version or revision fits the description of the prom block.

Flo