Subject: depmod help !

From: "Robert Rusek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 21:09:11 -0700

I am running his on an Indy. I have kernel 2.4.17 and modutils 2.4.16.
When a depmod is performed I get the following message:

depmod: cannot read ELF header from /lib/modules/2.4.17/modules.dep
depmod: cannot read ELF header from
/lib/modules/2.4.17/modules.generic_string
depmod: /lib/modules/2.4.17/modules.ieee1394map is not an ELF file
depmod: /lib/modules/2.4.17/modules.isapnpmap is not an ELF file
depmod: cannot read ELF header from
/lib/modules/2.4.17/modules.parportmap
depmod: /lib/modules/2.4.17/modules.pcimap is not an ELF file
depmod: cannot read ELF header from
/lib/modules/2.4.17/modules.pnpbiosmap
depmod: /lib/modules/2.4.17/modules.usbmap is not an ELF file

How can I correct this?  I am trying to clean up my startup before I
start using the machine.

Thank you in advance.
--
Robert Rusek

---

From: Johannes Stezenbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 14:05:08 +0200

> depmod: /lib/modules/2.4.17/modules.usbmap is not an ELF file

depmod bug, you get this if you've compiled your kernel with module
support but actually havent't installed any modules. Create an empty
/lib/modules/2.4.17/kernel/ directory to make depmod happy.

Regards,
Johannes