Subject: CONFIG_MIPS_IVR change for arch/mips/config.in

From: Tom Collins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 08:50:18 -0700

I'm not a subscriber to the list, so if anyone has questions or 
responses, please email me directly.

I have a machine based on the Globespan IVR board, and just got done 
fighting through an upgrade from 2.4.2 to 2.4.19.  In the process, I 
determined that (at least for my configuration), CONFIG_PCI_AUTO should 
not be set.  When set, the I/O mappings for my devices (USB) were out of 
whack, and I was unable to use one of the on-board USB chips.

Here's the configuration as it stands on my machine now:

if [ "$CONFIG_MIPS_IVR" = "y" ]; then
     define_bool CONFIG_PCI y
     define_bool CONFIG_PC_KEYB y
     define_bool CONFIG_NEW_PCI y
     define_bool CONFIG_NONCOHERENT_IO y
     define_bool CONFIG_PCI_AUTO n
     define_bool CONFIG_IT8172_CIR y
     define_bool CONFIG_NEW_IRQ y
     define_bool CONFIG_NEW_TIME_C y
fi

I am still working on a problem with a PCI card on the unit though.  
It's a USB 2.0 interface which appears to the kernel as two OHCI (1.0) 
interfaces and one EHCI (2.0) interface.  Right now, the kernel doesn't 
find the EHCI interface.  If I find that changing other settings (like 
CONFIG_NEW_PCI) results in that interface showing up (without blowing up 
the others), I'll be sure to tell the list.

Can someone here please make sure this change gets into the 2.4.20 
kernel?  I haven't been using the 2.5 kernels because the last one I 
tried (2.5.25) wouldn't compile on my platform.

--
Tom Collins
[email-masked]

---

From: Pete Popov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 08:51:42 -0700

Without PCI_AUTO none of the pci devices will be configured properly,
unless the boot code sets them up.  The pmon version you have does that,
I believe, but I'm not sure everyone can count on using the same boot
code.  I think we fixed the problem you describe by skipping the system
controller (IT8172) config and leaving its default map.  The small patch
which affects it8172_pci.c is in the source forge tree but I don't know
if it made it to oss, probably not since the interest in that board is
small in the community itself.  In general, I think the IVR board
support in the sourceforge kernel is more up to date than oss.

Pete