Subject: Re: PATCH: Fix errlist for mips

From: Roland McGrath <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 18:53:17 -0800

> Here's what my MIPS glibc has:
> 0019df30 g    DO .data  000001ec (GLIBC_2.0)  sys_errlist
> 0019df30 g    DO .data  000011b8  GLIBC_2.2   sys_errlist
> 0019df30 g    DO .data  000001ec (GLIBC_2.0)  _sys_errlist
> 0019df30 g    DO .data  000011b8  GLIBC_2.2   _sys_errlist

Ok, that says sys_nerr=123 in 2.0 and sys_nerr=1134 in 2.2.
I have changed the map to have just those.

Thanks,
Roland

---

From: "H. J. Lu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 19:23:28 -0800

> I have changed the map to have just those.

Please keep in mind that the next version is GLIBC_2.1, not
GLIBC_2.2. The reason you see GLIBC_2.2 is GLIBC_2.2 is the
first versioned ABI for MIPS.

H.J.

---

From: Roland McGrath <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 19:44:46 -0800

> first versioned ABI for MIPS.

I don't think it's meaningful to make the distinction.  If we wrote
GLIBC_2.1, shlib-versions causes it to be GLIBC_2.2, but that's more
confusing.  Now it says GLIBC_2.2, and that's what you get.  There was
never a "[email-masked]" symbol in any binary, so it doesn't make
sense to have that version set.

---

From: "H. J. Lu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 19:53:16 -0800

> sense to have that version set.  

But you will only see sys_errlist in GLIBC_2.1 in Versions in glibc
2.2.

H.J.

---

From: Roland McGrath <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 20:05:57 -0800

> But you will only see sys_errlist in GLIBC_2.1 in Versions in glibc 2.2.

That is indeed a bit confusing as well.  But what really matters is what
binaries historically contained, and that the current source code produces
that result.

---

From: "H. J. Lu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 20:14:14 -0800

> binaries historically contained, and that the current source code produces

errlist is not the only one. Most of GLIBC_2.2 for mips come from
GLIBC_2.1.

H.J.