Subject: problem with big endian binutils..?

From: "atul srivastava" <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Nov 2002 13:25:12 -0000

Have anybody confirmed stability of binutils for big endian 
mips?
while little endian gives me no problem
but i am simply unable to make a working big endian ramdisk.

specific problem is in identifying the e_type and e_machine fields 
in elf header of executables.
expected value of e_type is 0x2(ET_EXEC) amd e_machine is 
0x8(EM_MIPS)
but those are read as 0x200 and 0x800 respectivly ..this is 
obviously the endianness problem.

I have tried big endian ramdisk from 
ftp://ftp.ltc.com/pub/linux/mips/ramdisk/ramdisk
and also tried compiling one using uclibc package , both
failed because of same reason.

when i run file command on those executables after mounting the 
ramdisk on my host i get o/p like

ELF 32-bit LSB executable, MIPS R3000_BE - invalid byte order, 
version 1, statically linked, stripped

though i see lot of mails regarding "invalid byteorder" but I 
didn't find specific suggestions.

if somebody has experienced similar problems , pls. give me 
guidance.

Best Regards,
Atul

__________________________________________________________
Give your Company an email address like
ravi @ ravi-exports.com.  Sign up for Rediffmail Pro today!
Know more. http://www.rediffmailpro.com/signup/

---

From: Daniel Jacobowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 11:23:10 -0500

> obviously the endianness problem.

Binutils is just fine.  This is a problem with whatever's reading them.

> didn't find specific suggestions.

It's normal.  The 'file' output is outdated.

-- 
Daniel Jacobowitz
MontaVista Software                         Debian GNU/Linux Developer