Subject: Origin 2000 installation

From: David Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 12:17:43 -0500 (EST)

I am about to begin an attempt to install Linux onto an Origin 2000 (16p
R10K 195MHz, IP27) and was curious as to whether or not there was any
documentation geared specifically to an Origin installation (preferrably
oriented towards Debian). Also, is there a searchable archive of this
mailing list so that I can search for old posts on the subject?

Thanks,
 -David

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 18:41:19 +0100

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 12:17:43PM -0500, David Hansen wrote:

> oriented towards Debian).

The Debian installer support Indys only so a bit of creativity will be
required to get it to work, I fear.  At least Debian doesn't ship with
Origin kernel images.

The good old trick of booting of NFS root, then transfering the NFS root
stuff to local disk will work though.

The Origin port is fairly broken in CVS right now but I'm fixing it
currently.  I've posted patches here but let me know when you need the
patches agains the latest CVS kernel.

> Also, is there a searchable archive of this

For now there are only mbox archives available on ftp.linux-mips.org
in /pub/linux/mips/archives/linux-mips.org/linux-mips/

  Ralf

---

From: David Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 13:00:09 -0500 (EST)

> required to get it to work, I fear.  At least Debian doesn't ship with

 Is there a preferred distribution/method for Origin installations?

> stuff to local disk will work though.

 The system does currently have an IRIX installation on it, would it be
easier to use a NFS root method or is there a documented method for doing
this from an existing local IRIX environment?

> in /pub/linux/mips/archives/linux-mips.org/linux-mips/

  Great, thanks alot for the reply and information. I'll check out the
mailing list archives today.

 -David

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 19:19:59 +0100

> this from an existing local IRIX environment?

A super-old distribution had tools to create and fill an ext2 fs from under
IRIX but nobody did maintain that, so still having IRIX isn't useful in
that context.

It doesn't harm either, Linux can coexist with IRIX.

> mailing list archives today.

You won't find too much O2k-related stuff though ...

  Ralf

---

From: Guido Guenther <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 02:45:38 +0100

>  Is there a preferred distribution/method for Origin installations?
You can fetch the debian nfs-root from:
 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-mips/3.0.23-2002-05-21/root.tar.gz
This and an Origin200 kernel should do the trick. I'd be nice to add
Origin support to the debian installer though.
 -- Guido