Subject: Error Building gcc from sources

From: Dennis Newbold <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 12:50:39 -0800 (PST)

Dear Linux-mips list members:

     I'm trying to build gcc 3.2 from the sources.  It ran for quite
awhile, and then on a particular file, it got the following error:

/tmp/cc2kTG1e.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/cc2kTG1e.s:1080: Error: Can not represent BFD_RELOC_32_PCREL relocation in
this object file format

from the gas assembler.  I'm hoping that someone on this list that
understands gcc and mips assembler better than I can suggest a
command-line switch or some other way to get gcc to generate code which
does not result in this error.

Details:  source file, and assembler output file are in the attached zip
file.  Command line used to invoke gcc is:

./xgcc -B./ -B/stuff/mipsel-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ -isystem /stuff/mipsel-pc-linux-gn
u/include -isystem /stuff/mipsel-pc-linux-gnu/sys-include -O2  -DIN_GCC    -W -W
all -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -isystem ./include
 -fPIC -g -DHAVE_GTHR_DEFAULT -DIN_LIBGCC2 -D__GCC_FLOAT_NOT_NEEDED  -I. -I. -I.
./../gcc/gcc -I../../gcc/gcc/. -I../../gcc/gcc/config -I../../gcc/gcc/../include
  -DL_divdi3 -c ../../gcc/gcc/libgcc2.c -fexceptions -fnon-call-exceptions -o li
bgcc/./_divdi3.o

Assembly output file was produced using the above command line, replacing
"-c" with "-S", and "_divdi3.o" with "_divdi3.s"

I'm building it with  gcc 2.95.3 and GNU make vers. 3.75 on a Linux-mips
system. The configure script says that the cpu type is
mipsel-pc-linux-gnu.  In any case, the processor is the QED (now
PMC-Sierra) RM5230.

Please send any replies directly to me ([email-masked]), as I'm not
subscribed to the mailing list.  Thanks alot.

Dennis Newbold
[email-masked]