Subject: Re: EV64120 anybody?

From: "Jon Burgess" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 14:52:25 +0000

Ralf wrote:
> Does anybody still care about support for the EV64120?
> It's significant time since I last received a report about
> this board.  As it is at least the code in
> arch/mips/galileo-boards/ev64120/compressed is in a shape
> such that I cannot merge it with Linus, so that means
> either somebody who cares about this board is going
> to clean the code or I'm considering to do the rm -rf
> thing ...

I copied the approach in ev64120/compressed to implement a
compressed kernel in a product based on a different chip. Having
a compressed kernel image is fairly crucial for use in an
embedded system.

I think this is the only example of support for a compressed
kernel image in the linux-mips.org code. There was the start of
some more generic support in the SF tree but I haven't
looked at it recently.

Is the problem that the code is not generic, or are there some
other issues?

I cleaned up the code a bit to get it compile with the latest
tools when I copied it, but it is still not generic enough.

The misc.c #include "../../../../../lib/inflate.c' is a nasty
piece of coding.

     Jon

---

From: Dan Malek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 10:17:22 -0500

> some more generic support in the SF tree but I haven't

I've been doing lots of compressed kernel/initrd work recently
in the Alchemy Au1xxx kernels.  It's part of the SF stuff I'd
like to get into Ralf's tree one of these days so we stop having
different source pools.  IMHO, the MIPS initrd stuff is quite
broken, works only in a few very specific cases.  I have a more
generic version in the SF tree that would be nice to move forward
someday as well.

Most of this work was taken from the PowerPC and ARM versions
of compressing kernels and using initrd, so it looks familiar
to others that may venture out of MIPS-land. :-)

Thanks.

	-- Dan