Subject: Re: cli/sti removal from wd33c93.c

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 13:54:25 +0100

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 01:47:04PM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> > Below are patches to replace cli/sti and accomplices from the WD33c93
> > driver.  Who is currently the maintainer of this driver?  Ok to send to
> > Linus?
> 
> Feel free to send it to Linus. Meanwhile I'll check it in in the m68k tree.
> 
> > 2.5 doesn't boot on MIPS yet so this patch is untested.  This patch gets
> > it to build; it was written by Marc Zygnier and reviewed by me and we
> > think it does the right thing.
> 
> To me it looks OK as well. Unfortunately I don't have wd33c93 hardware (except
> in the old A500/A590, which doesn't run uClinux well/yet :-).
> 
> BTW, am I correct in assuming that the driver is broken on 2.4.x as well?
> It looks like there are lots of paths in wd33c93_intr() where interrupts
> aren't properly restored.

I don't have any recent bug reports about the driver on SGI hardware.  All
I can say it feels a little slow but I'm not sure how much I can expect
from my good ol' Indy.  And I think it would gain from being fed through
Lindent ...

  Ralf

---

From: Kars de Jong <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Nov 2002 19:16:10 +0100

> driver.  Who is currently the maintainer of this driver?  Ok to send to

I kinda picked up where John Shifflett left it, to try and get it
working more reliably on the old MVME147 SBC I have access to at work.
Never tried it with anything beyond 2.4.19 though. Is the current 2.5
usable on m68k, anyone?
 
> think it does the right thing.

The patch looks OK to me as well.

Kind regards,

Kars.

---

From: Marc Zyngier <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Nov 2002 13:52:52 +0100

>>>>> "Geert" == Geert Uytterhoeven <[email-masked]> writes:

Geert> BTW, am I correct in assuming that the driver is broken on
Geert> 2.4.x as well?  It looks like there are lots of paths in
Geert> wd33c93_intr() where interrupts aren't properly restored.

Indeed, it looks like being (very) broken. Although it has never
failed on my Indigo-2. Maybe interrupts get restored by luck, or these
paths are never taken...

I'll make a 2.4 patch when I'll have some time...

        M.
-- 
Places change, faces change. Life is so very strange.

---

From: Geert Uytterhoeven <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 13:47:04 +0100 (MET)

BTW, am I correct in assuming that the driver is broken on 2.4.x as well?
It looks like there are lots of paths in wd33c93_intr() where interrupts aren't
properly restored.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [email-masked]

In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But
when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that.
							    -- Linus Torvalds