Subject: mips cross-compiler

From: Chien-Lung Wu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 16:53:38 -0500

Hi,
I am trying to install a mips-linux cross compiler on my linux box with
	target=mips-linux
	host=i686-linux

 I download the rpm files
	binutils-mips-linux-2.8.1-1-i386.rpm
	egcs-mips-linux-1.0.3a-2.i386.rpm
	glibc-2.1.95.1.mips.rpm
from ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips

When I use rpm comand to install binutils and egcs, they work fine.
	rpm -i binutils-mips-linux-2.8.1-1-i386.rpm
	rpm -i egcs-mips-linux-1.0.3a-2.i386.rpm

However, as I intsall the glibc with the rpm command:
	rpm -i glibc-2.1.95.1.mips.rpm

I got a confliction with glibc-common-2.2.4-13, since my native glibc is
2.2.4-13. Thus I cannot install glibc.

Can anybody show me how to install the cross-compiler correctly? (what is
the correct rpm command?)

More questions:
If I have native glibc, can I install another glibc for cross-compiler?
Can I install the binutils-mips-linux-2.8.1-1 to a specific path?  How?
( when I install them with rpm -i command, the executable files will go to
/usr/bin as default. Can I change that?)

Thanks for your help.

Chien-Lung

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 07:56:10 +0100

> from ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips

The Linux/MIPS project has moved to (guess ...) linux-mips.org.  oss
still contains a mirror of ftp.linux-mips.org but it's only updated
manually in irregular intervals.

> the correct rpm command?)

Rpm just saved your system.  If you're installing this MIPS glibc into a
crosscompiler machine as it seems then keep your CDROM at hand for
reinstallation.  You will need it ...

> If I have native glibc, can I install another glibc for cross-compiler?

Sure, they have nothing in common.

> /usr/bin as default. Can I change that?)

Only very few packages support that; these packages don't.

You will not be able to build a kernel with binutils 2.8.x or egcs 1.0.x.
The absolute minimum required to build a kernel is egcs 1.1.2 and
binutils 2.13.1 which you can download from ftp.linux-mips.org.  Cross-
compiling a kernel does not require the installation of a MIPS glibc on
the crosscompilation host.  If you're going to crosscompile application
software you'll need a much more recent gcc even.

  Ralf