Subject: MOPD problems

From: Justin Pauley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 18:41:16 -0500

I downloaded the mopd server and installed a bunch of the patches until
mopd compiled. I downloaded the mopimage and put it in my /tftpboot/mop
with the correct name. However, after running mop with "mopd -d eth0"
and then running "boot 3/mop" on my decstation nothing happens. However,
I have noticed that when I run a packet dumping software (etherreal) and
then I try it I get this on my mopd:

MOP DL 8:0:2b:2e:77:40   > ab:0:0:1:0:0      len   11 code 08 RPR
MOP DL 0:d0:9:f8:fc:a5   > 8:0:2b:2e:77:40   len    1 code 03 ASV
MOP DL 8:0:2b:2e:77:40   > 0:d0:9:f8:fc:a5   len   11 code 08 RPR
MOP DL 0:d0:9:f8:fc:a5   > 8:0:2b:2e:77:40   len 1058 code 02 MLD

This in my syslog:
Jan 15 18:30:47 opus mopd[18215]: 8:0:2b:2e:77:40 (1) Do you have
08002b2e7740? (Yes)
Jan 15 18:30:47 opus mopd[18215]: 8:0:2b:2e:77:40 Send me 08002b2e7740

but then my Decstation produces something similar to the following:

>> boot 3/mop

???
? PC: 0x.....
? CR: 0x....
? SR: 0x....
? VA: 0x0
? ER: 180....
? MER: 0x162....

and then returns back to the console ">>".
(note that the ... were added by me to replace a long line of
numbers/letters)

if you know of something I can try, please let me know.

Thanks,
Justin Pauley

---

From: Dave Airlie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 01:04:58 +0000 (GMT)

sometimes a long time agao.. you needed to manually add the ethernet
address of the decstation to the arp table on the host machine..

arp -s <decstation_hostname> <ethernet_address>

give that a go...

Dave.

-- 
David Airlie, Software Engineer
http://www.skynet.ie/~airlied / [email-masked]
pam_smb / Linux DecStation / Linux VAX / ILUG person

---

From: Justin Pauley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 20:50:01 -0500

Sorry, but it didn't seem to work. For the decstation hostname I just
used "decstation" and added an entry into my /etc/hosts for the the IP
address I think it is. However, I am not sure exactly what ip address it
is nor do I know how to figure it out.

I figured out by turning on promiscuous mode I get the connection to my
box but the decstation still does the "???" thing as I mentioned before.
Any ideas are appreciated, and thank you Dave.

Justin

---

From: Dave Airlie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 06:20:13 +0000 (GMT)

Ah sorry I was thinking I think of another problem.. that you get later on
in the boot .. it shouldn't affect the mop load... you are using Maciej's
mopd? it is the only one known to work ..

Dave.

---

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 10:46:12 +0100

On Thu, 2003-01-16 01:04:58 +0000, Dave Airlie <[email-masked]>
> arp -s <decstation_hostname> <ethernet_address>

MOP isn't an IP based protocol so it doesn't care about IP addresses. I
think you want to solve some problem while TFTP'ing something:-)

MfG, JBG

-- 
   Jan-Benedict Glaw       [email-masked]    . +49-172-7608481
   "Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur
    fuer einen Freien Staat voll Freier Bürger" | im Internet!
   Shell Script APT-Proxy: http://lug-owl.de/~jbglaw/software/ap2/

---

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 10:47:00 +0100

On Wed, 2003-01-15 18:41:16 -0500, Justin Pauley <[email-masked]>
> (note that the ... were added by me to replace a long line of

It doesn't really tell me much, but please try the ELF linux kernel
image instead of the MOP image once.

MfG, JBG

---

From: Justin Pauley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 06:55:04 -0500

My firmware won't allow me to TFTP over 1 meg, mopd is my last choice.
Justin