Subject: ksymoops and 64 bit mips

From: Gilad Benjamini <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 22:15:19 +0200

I tried using ksymoops to analyze an oops on my 64 bit SMP mips kernel.
I am running ksymoops on x86 platform.

Initially I got a lot of garbage.
Upgrdaing to ksymoops 2.4.5 , and using the --truncate=1 and 
-t elf32-little reduced 
the amount of garbage, but still all the output shown
was "No symbol available".

Any additional things I should do ?

TIA

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 14:38:22 +0100

> Any additional things I should do ?

Possibly your ksymoops is get confused by the System.map file.  The vmlinux
file is a 32-bit ELF file but the System.map file contains the addresses
sign-extended to 64-bit.  As a bandaid you can just chop off the high
32-bits of all addresses in System.map.

  Ralf

---

From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 15:03:14 +0100 (MET)

> 32-bits of all addresses in System.map.

 Recent versions of ksymoops contain code to handle 64-bit MIPS flexibly
and are expected to take care of address aliases.  They don't works very
well, though, and I've done a few fixes.  They are available in a ksymoops
2.4.8 package at my site and hopefully will be applied in a future
release.

 Anyway the cross-ksymoops case referred by Gilad is tricky -- you need to
build ksymoops linking against an appropriate BFD library, i.e. one that
supports a MIPS64 target.  Additionally MIPS64-specific nm and objdump
programs have to be available to that ksymoops binary (cf. KSYMOOPS_NM and
KSYMOOPS_OBJDUMP environment variables). 

 For detailed information on using a cross-setup see the ksymoops
documentation.

-- 
+  Maciej W. Rozycki, Technical University of Gdansk, Poland   +
+--------------------------------------------------------------+
+        e-mail: [email-masked], PGP key available        +

---

From: Gilad Benjamini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 16:01:01 +0200

Au contraire.
System.map has 32 bit addresses, which I tried to sign extended 
with "ffffffff" (the wonders of sed), but that didn't help.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ralf Baechle [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 3:38 PM
> To: Gilad Benjamini
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: ksymoops and 64 bit mips
> 
>