Subject: Mopd Directions

From: Justin Pauley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 11:35:06 -0500

Thank you all so much for helping me get my linux installed. I now have
debian installed on my Decstation 5000/25 having used Mopd. I wrote down
all the information I would need if i needed to do this again and if you
would like you can send it out to other people who have my same problem.
The directions are at http://www.xwizards.com/MopLinuxDec.html 

Thank you all again,
Justin Pauley

---

From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 17:10:41 +0100 (MET)

> The directions are at http://www.xwizards.com/MopLinuxDec.html 

 You don't need to turn the promiscuous mode on, unless you have a strange
network card, for which there is no multicast support in the kernel.  You
probably don't want, either, as with a busy network the mode hurts
performance a lot, stealing processor's cycles for throwing useless frames
away.  The mopd daemon binds to multicast MAC addresses it's interested
in. 

-- 
+  Maciej W. Rozycki, Technical University of Gdansk, Poland   +
+--------------------------------------------------------------+
+        e-mail: [email-masked], PGP key available        +