Subject: You need help!

From: "Smith, Todd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 09:31:48 -0500

Hello Maciej,

You are sick and twisted but your testing plan will certainly find bugs. :)
My only question is how to tell the bugs from one package to the other. :)

Thanks for all of the hard work.

Todd Smith <[email-masked]>

-----Original Message-----
From: Maciej W. Rozycki [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2003 7:04 AM
To: Ralf Baechle
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: CVS [email-masked]: linux

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> > Log message:
> > 	Fix a restoration of assembler's settings in csum_ipv6_magic().
> 
> Wow, how did you catch this one - running IPv6?

 I do run IPv6 -- I get to my 32-bit box with SSH over IPv6 just to make
sure I'll find more bugs (the previous one was the multicast filter). ;-) 
I even have ipv6.o as a module (which also triggered bugs in the past). 
Will have to try with the 64-bit box. ;-)))

 But this bug I've actually spotted studying compiler's diagnostic output
-- a "Macro instruction expanded into multiple instructions in a branch
delay slot" warning isn't normal for a .c file. 

-- 
+  Maciej W. Rozycki, Technical University of Gdansk, Poland   +
+--------------------------------------------------------------+
+        e-mail: [email-masked], PGP key available        +

---

From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 15:58:51 +0100 (MET)

Hello Todd,

> You are sick and twisted but your testing plan will certainly find bugs. :)

 That's my fate, I suppose.

> My only question is how to tell the bugs from one package to the other. :)

 Elementary, my dear Watson!

  Maciej

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 07:47:00 +0100

> Thanks for all of the hard work.

Now guess why linux-mips.org is running IPv6 :-)

> delay slot" warning isn't normal for a .c file. 

The plain C version btw. expands into the same machine instructions.  Of
course it was written on a MIPS so it's no coincidence it'll perform well
on MIPS :)

[root@dea mips64-linux]# host -a ftp.linux-mips.org
Trying "ftp.linux-mips.org"
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 53547
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ftp.linux-mips.org.		IN	ANY

;; ANSWER SECTION:
ftp.linux-mips.org.	53172	IN	A	62.254.210.162
ftp.linux-mips.org.	53156	IN	AAAA	3ffe:8260:2028:fffe::1
[...]

There is some ongoing effort to put as many Linux servers on IPv6 as
possible.  And yes, it's caught bugs before.

Everybody's favorite bug is of course is caused by autoconf.  Various
packages only detect the precense of IPv6 if it's actually configured
so there's no more escape from IPv6 already ...

  Ralf