Subject: Re: Linux for MIPS Atlas 4Kc board

From: "Michael Anburaj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 08:56:01 -0700

Hi,

>"init" is another thing. Your NFS root should include a /sbin/init or
>or /etc/init or /bin/init or /bin/sh. If none of those exists, you
>loose.

For setting up the NFS, I did the following:
1. exported the /export/RedHat7.1
2. downloaded MIPS_RedHat7.1_Release-02.00.tar from 
ftp://ftp.mips.com/pub/linux/mips/installation/redhat7.1/02.00

this tar file has the following:

linux\installation\RedHat7.1\RPMS\mips\ <contains a lot of rpms>
linux\installation\RedHat7.1\RPMS\mipsel\ <contains a lot of rpms>
linux\installation\RedHat7.1\RPMS\noarch\ <contains a lot of rpms>
linux\installation\RedHat7.1\install\ <contains a Makefile, install.list, 
install.script>
linux\installation\RedHat7.1\install\root\etc\ <contains inittab, securetty>
linux\installation\RedHat7.1\install\root\etc\sysconfig\ <contains network>
linux\installation\RedHat7.1\install\root\etc\xinetd.d\ <contains telnet, 
rlogin, rsh,rexec, hosts>

& some more files.

Now tell me what should be extracted to my NFS export /export/RedHat7.1 
(along with their relative path info.).

Also let me know what path to be passed on to the kernel as parameter to 
nfsroot=
Is it simply /export/Redhat7.1?

Another question: I don't see a init file in the tar. or is inittab similar? 
Is this "MIPS_RedHat7.1_Release-02.00.tar" tar file the right file & the 
only file that is needed for now; that has the right stuff in it? Or do I 
need to get the right file from a different tar file?

Thanks,
-Mike.

_________________________________________________________________
Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*.  
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail

---

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 21:49:42 +0200

On Sat, 2003-05-10 08:56:01 -0700, Michael Anburaj <[email-masked]>
> 1. exported the /export/RedHat7.1

That's okay.

> (along with their relative path info.).

Well, I think you should start reaing the files in the install path
(Makefile, install.list etc.). You should also notice that with Linux
you've got '/' as path separator, not DOSsish '\'.

Basically, I *think* your board is big endian, so you need to unpack
everything from the mips and the noarch directory.

After that, there should be:

/export/Redhat7.1/sbin/init
/export/Redhat7.1/bin/sh

...and all the other files.

> Is it simply /export/Redhat7.1?

nfsroot=ser.ver.ip.addr:/export/Redhat7.1

> Another question: I don't see a init file in the tar. or is inittab 
> similar? Is this "MIPS_RedHat7.1_Release-02.00.tar" tar file the right file 

If you'd cared to look into that file, it's only a plain text file, no
executable file. So these are different things.

> & the only file that is needed for now; that has the right stuff in it? Or 

Possibly. I've got no chance to look into it and to now you haven't
posted a URL from which I can get that file's contents...

> do I need to get the right file from a different tar file?

Maybe. Maybe not. Depends...

MfG, JBG

-- 
   Jan-Benedict Glaw       [email-masked]    . +49-172-7608481
   "Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg
    fuer einen Freien Staat voll Freier Bürger" | im Internet! |   im Irak!
      ret = do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(IRAQ_WAR_2 | DRM | TCPA));