Subject: running purely uncached ..

From: "ashish anand" <[email-masked]>
Date: 1 May 2003 14:32:41 -0000

Hello,

I am back to mips plateform after a long gap.
in my kernel source tree i observed in arch/mips/mm/r4xx0.c 
though
there are other support routines for flush , invalidate and 
maintain
the cache consistency ..but there is no mention of running purely 
uncached using the old style code CONFIG_MIPS_UNCACHED or 
otherwise.

Best Regards,
Ashish

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 21:26:25 +0200

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 02:32:41PM -0000, ashish  anand wrote:

> in my kernel source tree i observed in arch/mips/mm/r4xx0.c though
> there are other support routines for flush , invalidate and maintain
> uncached using the old style code CONFIG_MIPS_UNCACHED or otherwise.

CONFIG_MIPS_UNCACHED still exists but it's only selectable when SMP
support is disabled.

Usual warning applies - running uncached is not well supported and is
extremly slow.  It is mostly intended for hardware people who need to
observe all actions of the processor externally.

  Ralf