Subject: Re: Linux for MIPS Atlas 4Kc board -problems :(

From: "Michael Anburaj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 23:47:57 -0700

Hi Keith,

Thanks a lot.

Now its showing some ray of hope....

drivers/char/nvram.c | /sbin/genksyms  -k 2.5.47 > 
include/linux/modules/drivers/char/nvram.ver.tmp
drivers/char/nvram.c:45: warning: `PC' redefined
include/asm/ptrace.h:18: warning: this is the location of the previous 
definition
drivers/char/nvram.c:61: #error Cannot build nvram driver for this machine 
configuration.
make[3]: *** [include/linux/modules/drivers/char/nvram.ver] Error 1
make[2]: *** [drivers/char] Error 2
make[1]: *** [_modver_drivers] Error 2
make: *** [.hdepend] Error 2

Is this (NVRAM) not a mandatory device? If so is it possible to remove it 
using the menuconfig? I chose Atlas 4Kc. Let me know where it is located or 
the issue with this issue.

Thanks again,
-Mike.

>From: Keith Owens <[email-masked]>
>To: "Michael Anburaj" <[email-masked]>
>CC: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: Linux for MIPS Atlas 4Kc board -problems :( Date: Fri, 02 May 
>2003 15:22:13 +1000
>
>On Thu, 01 May 2003 22:07:32 -0700,
>"Michael Anburaj" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >I did try that too...
> >
> >[root@localhost linux]# make ARCH=mips
> >make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=arch/mips/kernel
> >arch/mips/kernel/offset.s
> >  gcc -Wp,-MD,arch/mips/kernel/.offset.s.d -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -Wall
> >-Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer
> >-fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -I /usr/src/linux/include/asm/gcc -G 0
> >-mno-abicalls -fno-pic -pipe -mcpu=r4600 -mips2 -Wa,--trap -nostdinc
> >-iwithprefix include    -DKBUILD_BASENAME=offset   -S -o
> >arch/mips/kernel/offset.s arch/mips/kernel/offset.c
> >gcc: cannot specify -o with -c or -S and multiple compilations
> >make[1]: *** [arch/mips/kernel/offset.s] Error 1
> >make: *** [arch/mips/kernel/offset.s] Error 2
>
>Because you mentioned Redhat 9, I have to assume that you are cross
>compiling from i386 to mips, is that correct?  If so, you need make
>ARCH=mips and you have to specify the cross compile tools as well,
>something like this :-
>
>   make ARCH=mips CROSS_COMPILE=/usr/bin/mips-linux- ...
>
>If you are doing a native mips compile then the problem is that your
>version of gcc does not like one or more of the command options, the
>unknown option is being treated as a filename.
>

_________________________________________________________________
Help STOP SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE*  
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

---

From: "Michael Anburaj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 19:36:55 -0700

Hi Ralph,

It will be great if you or any one from this forum enumerate all the build 
steps for building the Linux kernel (to work with Redboot or Flash image) 
for Atlas 4Kc board from scratch.

Development platform: Redhat Linux 9
Target Linux source: linux-mips’s CVS repository
Mips-linux tool-chain: rpm’s downloaded from link provided by linux-mips.com

I would be very much grateful for this help.

Thanks & Cheers,
-Mike.

>From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
>To: Keith Owens <[email-masked]>
>CC: Michael Anburaj <[email-masked]>,[email-masked]
>Subject: Re: Linux for MIPS Atlas 4Kc board -problems :(
>Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 03:09:34 +0200
>
>On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 02:18:13PM +1000, Keith Owens wrote:
>
> > You have to specify ARCH=mips on _all_ make commands, not just make
> > *config.  Do 'make ARCH=mips' for the second one.
>
>In the MIPS kernel source I've hardwired ARCH=mips.  He'd either have
>to pass something like CROSS_COMPILE=mips-linux- or set the config
>option CONFIG_CROSSCOMPILE.
>
>   Ralf
>

_________________________________________________________________
The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE*  
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

---

From: "Michael Anburaj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 19:54:07 -0700

Hi Ralph,

More info.

For the most part it looks like its building. But source files of some of 
the drivers are failing. Like for instance NVRAM ( nvram.c ), some file 
system files & some video driver files.

A friend of mine said this. “Do menuconfig & select the appropriate board 
option (for me it is MIPS Atlas 4Kc). And you don’t have to worry about all 
the other options (like the file systems, & device drivers) – At least to 
get it to build initially”. Is that statement right? What he meant was, when 
you select a board the remaining things get customized automatically 
according to the board option. So, if I selected Atlas 4Kc board then only 
the drivers, file systems & other modules relevant to Atlas 4Kc would get 
enabled for the build to follow. Is that right?

If that’s true, then I shouldn’t face these many number of errors when 
building FS & device driver modules.

To work around this, each time I see an error, I do “$ make ARCH=mips 
menuconfig”, go find the option corresponding to the module & disable it. So 
that those files never get built & then the build progresses a bit before it 
break again. I am yet to complete this activity (probably today after work & 
this weekend I will do this). Do you think it’s best way to go about this?

Thanks & Cheers,
-Mike.

_________________________________________________________________
The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE*  
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

---

From: "Michael Anburaj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 May 2003 02:05:58 -0700

Hi all,

Finaly, I could compile vmlinux. I thought of booting this RAM image using 
the on board Redboot.

For which I needed a serial com utility ( like the windows Hyperterminal). I 
tried minicom & configured for /dev/ttyS1 & 115200 bauds & no hardware 
handshaking (PC has a COM1 port). Nothing seems to work. Can any one suggest 
a method to debug this issue? Or any other utility.

Thanks,
-Mike.

>From: "Michael Anburaj" <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 19:54:07 -0700
>
>Hi Ralph,
>
>More info.
>
>get it to build initially”. Is that statement right? What he meant was, 
>when you select a board the remaining things get customized automatically 
>menuconfig”, go find the option corresponding to the module & disable it. 
>So that those files never get built & then the build progresses a bit 
>before it break again. I am yet to complete this activity (probably today 
>after work & this weekend I will do this). Do you think it’s best way to go 
>about this?
>
>Thanks & Cheers,
>-Mike.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

_________________________________________________________________
Protect your PC - get McAfee.com VirusScan Online  
http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963