Subject: Re: Linux for MIPS Atlas 4Kc board -problems :(

From: "Michael Anburaj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 22:07:32 -0700

Hi Keith,

I did try that too...

[root@localhost linux]# make ARCH=mips
make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=arch/mips/kernel 
arch/mips/kernel/offset.s
  gcc -Wp,-MD,arch/mips/kernel/.offset.s.d -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -Wall 
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer 
-fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -I /usr/src/linux/include/asm/gcc -G 0 
-mno-abicalls -fno-pic -pipe -mcpu=r4600 -mips2 -Wa,--trap -nostdinc 
-iwithprefix include    -DKBUILD_BASENAME=offset   -S -o 
arch/mips/kernel/offset.s arch/mips/kernel/offset.c
gcc: cannot specify -o with -c or -S and multiple compilations
make[1]: *** [arch/mips/kernel/offset.s] Error 1
make: *** [arch/mips/kernel/offset.s] Error 2

Thanks,
-Mike.

>From: Keith Owens <[email-masked]>
>To: "Michael Anburaj" <[email-masked]>
>CC: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: Linux for MIPS Atlas 4Kc board -problems :( Date: Fri, 02 May 
>2003 14:18:13 +1000
>
>On Thu, 01 May 2003 20:25:20 -0700,
>"Michael Anburaj" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >Then I configured using,
> >$ make ARCH=mips menuconfig
> >[root@localhost linux]# make
> >make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=arch/mips/kernel
> >arch/mips/kernel/offset.s
> >  gcc -Wp,-MD,arch/mips/kernel/.offset.s.d -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -Wall
> >-Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer
> >-fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -I /usr/src/linux/include/asm/gcc -G 0
> >-mno-abicalls -fno-pic -pipe -mcpu=r4600 -mips2 -Wa,--trap -nostdinc
> >-iwithprefix include    -DKBUILD_BASENAME=offset   -S -o
> >arch/mips/kernel/offset.s arch/mips/kernel/offset.c
> >gcc: cannot specify -o with -c or -S and multiple compilations
> >make[1]: *** [arch/mips/kernel/offset.s] Error 1
> >make: *** [arch/mips/kernel/offset.s] Error 2
>
>You have to specify ARCH=mips on _all_ make commands, not just make
>*config.  Do 'make ARCH=mips' for the second one.
>

_________________________________________________________________
The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE*  
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

---

From: Keith Owens <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 15:22:13 +1000

On Thu, 01 May 2003 22:07:32 -0700, 
>make: *** [arch/mips/kernel/offset.s] Error 2

Because you mentioned Redhat 9, I have to assume that you are cross
compiling from i386 to mips, is that correct?  If so, you need make
ARCH=mips and you have to specify the cross compile tools as well,
something like this :-

  make ARCH=mips CROSS_COMPILE=/usr/bin/mips-linux- ...

If you are doing a native mips compile then the problem is that your
version of gcc does not like one or more of the command options, the
unknown option is being treated as a filename.