Subject: Linux on Octane IP30 (was Re: Linux on Indigo2 (IP28) - R10000)

From: Martin Leopold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 00:21:46 +0200

On 2003.06.10 22:21 Keith M Wesolowski wrote:
> > And Keith Wesolowsky is even working on it. Only problem is complete
> > absence of documentation.
> Well, for values of "working" that involve reading headers and
> pondering, yeah.  We have the memory map from the irix headers;
> otherwise as Ralf points out it should have been called Origin 100.

Which only contributes to my confusion, I have no clue how these 
machines compare.

> Getting a serial-only port going should not be terribly hard.  The
> problem, as always, is finding time to work on these things.  Any of
> you who are students will probably get to this long before we working
> stiffs do, so have at it...

Not that I'm claiming in any way to have the skills nor the time: what 
are the issues involved?

I stumbled uppun some documentation on Andrew Clausen working on 
supporting Origin 200 earlier this year. He wrote a small howto on some 
of the quirks involved in shoving a Linux kernel onto one of those 
beasts.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/clausen/sgi/LINUX-IP27-HOWTO

He has some utils and some info on getting it running, what is your 
take? Will this get my anywhere near having a running Linux on my 
Ocane? Or do I have to start kernel-hacking before that will happen =]?

-- 
Regards Martin Leopold.
Dept. of Computer Science, University of Copenhagen

---

From: "Erik J. Green" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 13:56:10 +0000

> Ocane? Or do I have to start kernel-hacking before that will happen =]?

You have to hack at least minimally.  The Origin and Octane are quite similar in
a lot of ways, but they're not close enough to just boot the Origin code.

Erik

-- 
Erik J. Green
[email-masked]