Subject: Re: No mouse support for Indy in 2.5.75 ?

From: "Frank Förstemann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 07:54:25 +0200

Hi Ralf.

Is there any additional information I can collect on these issues ?

Frank

Am Die, 2003-07-29 um 13.49 schrieb Ralf Baechle:
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 11:37:06PM +0200, =?iso-8859-1?Q? Frank=20F=F6rstemann ?= wrote:
> 
> > I tried kernel version 2.5.75 on my Indy. It works fine with the
> > exception that the mouse in XFree86 does not move. The devices are 
> > available, but event debugging shows no mouse events at all. Are there
> > any special configuration options for the Indy mouse except the ones in
> > the 'input' section ? Dmesg output and kernel configuration are
> > attached.
> 
> We knew there was something wrong in that area; the probe for kbd and mouse
> also takes very long on the Indy.  What worries me more are those
> kernel messages from your log:
> 
> mount: Exception at [<88113a38>] (88113bf0)
> mount: Exception at [<88113a38>] (88113bf0)
> mount: Exception at [<88113a38>] (88113bf0)
> 
>   Ralf

______________________________________________________________________________
ComputerBild (15-03) empfiehlt: Der beste Spam-Schutz ist bei
WEB.DE FreeMail - Deutschlands beste E-Mail - http://s.web.de/?mc=021124

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:23:07 +0200

> Is there any additional information I can collect on these issues ?

Well, as for the PS/2 issues, you'll have to read through the code yourself,
nobody's digged into that so far.

> > mount: Exception at [<88113a38>] (88113bf0)

The kernel messages otoh are not sign of a kernel but an application bug.
It seems mount did pass bad addresses to the kernel through some syscall;
these messages are the sign of the normal mechanism to intercept bad
address arguments to syscall kicking in.  You won't get those messages
anymore in 2.6 btw.  The kernel only print's them if the second digit of
the version number is odd, see development_version in arch/mips/mm/fault.c.

  Ralf