Subject: do_ri

From: "Sirotkin, Alexander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 18:16:31 +0300

Hello dearest all,

Can anyone please enlighten me about the do_ri function ? I could not
find any reference to what it does and when it's  called anywhere.

The real reason I'm asking is because I get BUG() somewhere
in that function and I can not figure when it's getting called.

10x.

-- 
Alexander Sirotkin
SW Engineer

Texas Instruments
Broadband Communications Israel (BCIL)
Tel:  +972-9-9706587
________________________________________________________________________
"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly."
      -- Henry Spencer

---

From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 17:28:16 +0200 (MET DST)

> find any reference to what it does and when it's  called anywhere.

 It's called from arch/mips/kernel/entry.S or
arch/mips64/kernel/r4k_genex.S to handle the Reserved Instruction
exception. 

-- 
+  Maciej W. Rozycki, Technical University of Gdansk, Poland   +
+--------------------------------------------------------------+
+        e-mail: [email-masked], PGP key available        +

---

From: "Sirotkin, Alexander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 18:36:01 +0300

Are you sure ?

Because "grep -r" shows only 

./arch/mips/kernel/traps.c:asmlinkage void do_ri(struct pt_regs *regs)
./arch/mips/kernel/traps.c:             do_ri(regs);
./arch/mips/lx/lxRi.c:  do_ri(regp);

On my linux-2.4.17_mvl21 kernel. And I'm quite sure that when my kernel 
crashes it's not being called from any of these places.

But then again, may be in may case it's getting called only because some

memory get overwritten.

Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

  

exception. 

-- 

Alexander Sirotkin

SW Engineer

Texas Instruments

Tel:  +972-9-9706587

      -- Henry Spencer

---

From: Geert Uytterhoeven <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 17:51:37 +0200 (MEST)

> crashes it's not being called from any of these places.

I remember getting bitten by that one, too...

Check out BUILD_HANDLER(ri,ri,sti,silent) in arch/mips/kernel/entry.S.

Grep isn't always your friend, `nm -g' is, in this case :-)

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [email-masked]

In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But
when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that.
							    -- Linus Torvalds

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 17:57:07 +0200

> Grep isn't always your friend, `nm -g' is, in this case :-)

I guess people not finding the callers of the do_* functions is one of the
most common questions on this list :-)

  Ralf

PS: Ever heared of Intercal? ;-)

---

From: "Sirotkin, Alexander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 19:08:57 +0300

Got it. 10x.

Geert,
You save me for second time in a row today, I feel like I owe you a beer
:)

Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

Are you sure ?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

--

Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 --
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker.
But

when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something
like that.

							    -- Linus
Torvalds

-- 

Alexander Sirotkin

SW Engineer

Texas Instruments

Tel:  +972-9-9706587

      -- Henry Spencer