Subject: gdbserver on mips

From: "Rahul Pande" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 19:13:14 +0530

Hi,
 
 I am working on a AMD Au1500 based board and want some information. I
am using the Linux 2.4.21pre. The problem happens when i run an
application under "gdbserver" on the board, it does not allow me to
single step into functions/code. The following error is displayed :
                "ptrace : Input/Output error". 
 
The  "ptrace.c" file under arch/mips/kernel/ does not have support for
PTRACE_SINGLESTEP because of which the above error is occuring. I would
like to know why single stepping support is not there for mips
architecture under linux, whereas it is there for others like i386,
alpha, arm etc ?
 
Thanks and Regards,
          rahul

**************************Disclaimer************************************

Information contained in this E-MAIL being proprietary to Wipro Limited is 
'privileged' and 'confidential' and intended for use only by the individual
 or entity to which it is addressed. You are notified that any use, copying 
or dissemination of the information contained in the E-MAIL in any manner 
whatsoever is strictly prohibited.

***************************************************************************

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 17:27:48 +0200

> whatsoever is strictly prohibited.

I'm sure this posting to a public mailing list with such an disclaimer
was just an accident and therefore it's ok if everybody ignores your
mail?

;-)

  Ralf

---

From: Daniel Jacobowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 22:53:43 -0400

> architecture under linux, whereas it is there for others like i386,

You're using too old of a GDB then.  It should not attempt to
single-step.

> whatsoever is strictly prohibited.

Don't do that again.  Period.

-- 
Daniel Jacobowitz
MontaVista Software                         Debian GNU/Linux Developer