Subject: odd link error

From: David Kesselring <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 08:48:03 -0400 (EDT)

I know my build for a custom board isn't right but it got through the
compiles only to get this link error. Does anyone know what it might point
to?

mips64el-linux-ld --oformat elf32-tradlittlemips -G 0 -static  -T
arch/mips64/ld.script.elf32 -Ttext  arch/mips64/kernel/head.o
arch/mips64/kernel/init_task.o init/main.o init/version.o init/do_mounts.o
\
        --start-group \
        arch/mips64/kernel/kernel.o arch/mips64/mm/mm.o kernel/kernel.o
mm/mm.o fs/fs.o ipc/ipc.o arch/mips/math-emu/fpu_emulator.o
arch/mips/ramdisk/ramdisk.o \
         drivers/char/char.o drivers/block/block.o drivers/misc/misc.o
drivers/net/net.o drivers/media/media.o \
        net/network.o \
        arch/mips64/lib/lib.a
/home/dkesselr/stbsw/linux/linux-64sead/lib/lib.a \
        --end-group \
        -o vmlinux
mips64el-linux-ld: invalid hex number `arch/mips64/kernel/head.o'
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

David Kesselring
Atmel MMC
[email-masked]
919-462-6587

---

From: Brian Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 16:26:42 +0200

>make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1
-Ttext expects an argument, the hex number mentioned, and it is for some 
reason missing.
Since

arch/mips64/kernel/head.o

is not a valid hex number the build fails. You probably have some make 
variable which is not
defined which should be. You should look at the makefile which contains 
the linker line
and find -Ttext $(MISSING_VARIABLE) and find out why MISSING_VARIABLE is 
not set.

/Brian

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:52:32 +0200

> compiles only to get this link error. Does anyone know what it might point

Seems the SEAD bits in your Makefile are incomplete, arch/mips64/Makefile
should contain this:

[...]
#
# MIPS SEAD board
#
ifdef CONFIG_MIPS_SEAD
LIBS            += arch/mips/mips-boards/sead/sead.o \
                   arch/mips/mips-boards/generic/mipsboards.o
SUBDIRS         += arch/mips/mips-boards/generic arch/mips/mips-boards/sead
LOADADDR        := 0x80100000
endif
[...]

  Ralf