Subject: RTL8139 -- Link status change

From: "Michael Anburaj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 12:37:22 -0700

Hi,

Setup: MIPS board -> Hub <- RH 9 (DHCP server)

I have a RTL8139 based PCI NIC inserted on the MIPS’s PCI (2.1) slot. The
WAL on the NIC is left floating (Is that a problem?). I am able to send
packets from the MIPS board to RH 9, but the packets sent from the RH 9 is
not reaching the MIPS board.

Even if the DHCP server is not connected, I see the Link status change
interrupt (status) bit of ISR going high after every packet sent from the
MIPS board. Seems like the cause for the problem I see, am I right?
Can somebody tell me why the link status is changing after a packet is sent
out?

Sample at every change in ISR:
-----------------------------
BMCR = 0x1100
BMSR = 0x782d
ANAR = 0x01e1
ANLPAR = 0x45e1
ANER = 0x0001
DIS = 0x0000
FCSC = 0x0000

Is there a register to look at, for the cause to this link status change
<The above registers don't change at all>? Please suggest me a way to debug
this issue.

Thanks,
-Mike.

_________________________________________________________________
Protect your PC - get McAfee.com VirusScan Online  
http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963