Subject: How to generate the kernel image binary file for a specific memor y area

From: Adeel Malik <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:05:17 +0500

Hi All,
        I am using Buildroot-QuickMIPS development environment for porting
linux-based applications to a development board. When I run the 'make'
command in the Top level Buildroot folder, the Kernel Image file generated
in srec format defaults to the address where the SDRAM is mapped. In this
way I am able to boot the kernel form SDRAM. I want to load the image to
flash (mapped to some other address) and boot the kernel from it. Can
someone having worked on Buildroot tell me where to locate the linker
directive file and make the necessary change so that I can generate the
Image for a specific memory area.
 
Presently I use the Boot Monitor's load command that stores the Image file
from some server configured as boot server to Target SDRAM and kernel is
executed by issuing the go command. I want to know whether the download
mechanism would remain the same for booting the kernel from Flash as from
SDRAM or I may need to use some ROM directive in the Linker directive file
so that on reset the code is moved from flash to SDRAM and executed from
there.
 
Regards,
 
ADEEL MALIK,