Subject: RE: How to increase download speed for UART

From: Adeel Malik <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 20:41:58 +0500

Yes this is an Motorola's S-Record File. Do you think that I am missing
something?. I am using YAMON to configure the UART's settings on the board
and HyperTerminal on the Host the transfer this file.

ADEEL 

-----Original Message-----
From: Pete Popov [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2003 8:45 PM
To: Adeel Malik
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: How to increase download speed for UART

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 08:32, Adeel Malik wrote:
> Hi All,
>          I am porting Linux to a MIPS based development platform. The
> UART on the board provides a maximum baud rate of 115 kbps. But the
> download time for the kernel Image of about 4.3 MB is about 4 hours
> !!!!!. 

4.3MB? Is this an SREC file? I've downloaded images over the serial port
(srec files) and it takes no more than 10 minutes.

Pete

> Can someone help me address this problem ?. 
>  
> (I can't download the kernel image via tftp server using ethernet, as
> the CPU doesn't have the MAC interface).
>  
> Regards,
> ADEEL MALIK,
>  
>

---

From: Pete Popov <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Sep 2003 09:09:28 -0700

> and HyperTerminal on the Host the transfer this file.

Yes, I think there's something definitely wrong. I wonder if the
download is even in progress... You're using windows and hyperterm? Try
it on linux but just doing "cat <srec file name>  > /dev/ttyS0",
assuming you're using the first serial port to connect to the target.
Yamon gives you feedback of the download progress by printing dots, when
downloading over ethernet. I imagine it does the same when downloading
over serial port, so if you are not seeing any progress feedback, then
perhaps that's another indication that your download is not working.

Pete