Subject: module dependency files

From: David Kesselring <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:22:49 -0400 (EDT)

I have now gotten the modules to build but there is one part of the
process that doesn't work. On my pc I want to build all of the files which
are to be installed on the mips board. I am trying to create the files
which can be copied onto (or into) the redhat 7.3 miniport. "make modules"
works fine. It seems like I need to run "make modules_install" but it
complains about the .o files being the wrong architecture. So the basic
question seems to be how can I run depmod on the pc for mips?
Thanks again.

David Kesselring
Atmel MMC
[email-masked]
919-462-6587

---

From: Jeff Angielski <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Oct 2003 17:25:20 -0400

>From the Linux kernel Makefile...

#
# INSTALL_MOD_PATH specifies a prefix to MODLIB for module directory
# relocations required by build roots.  This is not defined in the
# makefile but the arguement can be passed to make if needed.
#
                                                                                Just set this to the location of your target filesystem when you do the modules_install.

Jeff Angielski
The PTR Group

---

From: David Kesselring <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:15:56 -0400 (EDT)

That's what I did. I defined INSTALL_MOD_PATH as $(TOPDIR)/modules. The
modules get put there but depmod fails.

David Kesselring
Atmel MMC
[email-masked]
919-462-6587

---

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:57:33 +0200

On Tue, 2003-10-21 18:15:56 -0400, David Kesselring <[email-masked]>
> modules get put there but depmod fails.

depmod works on it's own architecture and I don't recall a way that
would make it work on cross-compiled modules. Maybe you should just copy
over the modules (INSTALL_MOD_PATH is a good start here) and execute
depmod on the target system...

Apart from that, insmod (instead of modprobe) should always work,
though...

MfG, JBG

-- 
   Jan-Benedict Glaw       [email-masked]    . +49-172-7608481
   "Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg
    fuer einen Freien Staat voll Freier Bürger" | im Internet! |   im Irak!
   ret = do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(NEW_COPYRIGHT_LAW | DRM | TCPA));

---

From: Wolfgang Denk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:02:59 +0200

> depmod on the target system...

Busybox contains a  platform-independend  depmod  perl  script  which
works fine even in a cross development environment.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

-- 
Software Engineering:  Embedded and Realtime Systems,  Embedded Linux
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: [email-masked]
"A witty saying proves nothing."                           - Voltaire