Subject: mailing list spam

From: Trevor Woerner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 16:09:07 -0400

I appreciate microsoft *.exe updates by email just as much as the next
guy, however...

I create email aliases for the different mailing lists I join. I
 noticed that I've been receiving a fair amount of spam to the email
 address I setup for this list. I figured it was because I posted
 something in the past, so I unsubscribed my old email address, created
 a new one, and re-subscribed.

Without having made any postings since the change, I have just received
spam to the new address I've setup for this list, which means someone
has access to the membership list. Any chance this could be looked into
and turned off?

The humorous part being, of course, how stringently the the list 
receiver is that the sender's email domain resolve properly. At least 
we know it's dns-resolvable spam!

---

From: Keith Owens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 12:15:23 +1000

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 16:09:07 -0400, 
>has access to the membership list. Any chance this could be looked into

Not necessarily.  This particular virus hunts around for anything that
looks like an email address and spams it.  My logs show a couple of
these virus loads from the list itself, linux-mips.org does not filter
out this virus.

Oct  4 02:21:19 reject: header Content-Type: application/x-msdownload;
name="Upgrade53.exe" from mail.linux-mips.org[62.254.210.162];
from=<[email-masked]>

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 16:34:35 +0200

> we know it's dns-resolvable spam!

You're victim of a dictionary attack.

This list is about Linux, not spam discussions.

  Ralf