Subject: Au1500 kernel?

From: Greg Herlein <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 14:53:20 -0700 (PDT)

I grabbed the latest CVS code from linux-mips.org (2.6.0-test8) 
and tried to compile it with my cross-comiler environment - which 
is the toolchain that came with my Pb1500 development board that 
uses the Au1500 SOC chip.  My gcc is:

[gherlein@io linux]$ 
/usr/local/comp/mips-elf/gcc-3.2/bin/mips-elf-gcc -v
Reading specs from 
/usr/local/comp/mips-elf/gcc-3.2/lib/gcc-lib/mips-elf/3.2/specs
Configured with: ../gcc-3.2/configure --target=mips-elf 
--with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --with-newlib 
--prefix=/usr/local/comp/mips-elf/gcc-3.2 
--enable-languages=c,c++
Thread model: single
gcc version 3.2

But the lernel is failing at:

  CC      arch/mips/kernel/offset.s
In file included from include/linux/signal.h:7,
                 from include/linux/sched.h:25,
                 from arch/mips/kernel/offset.c:13:
include/asm/siginfo.h:83: flexible array member not at end of 
struct
make[1]: *** [arch/mips/kernel/offset.s] Error 1
make: *** [arch/mips/kernel/offset.s] Error 2

which smells like some new gcc'ism that is causing the issue.  Is 
anyone else seeing this?  Is there something I am doing wrong? 
Advice?  Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

PS - I attached my .config for good measure, in case it matters 
(don't see how it would though)

---

From: Pete Popov <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Oct 2003 17:24:24 -0700

> anyone else seeing this?  Is there something I am doing wrong? 

I think I had the same problem, if I remember correctly, so I used the
2.95 compiler on linux-mips.org.

BTW, only serial console, ethernet, and MTD have been updated in 2.6. I
haven't had time for anything else yet, including the 36 bit address
support.

Pete

---

From: Greg Herlein <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 19:16:37 -0700 (PDT)

> 2.95 compiler on linux-mips.org.

Unfortunately when I try to install that it fails due to rpm hell 
(ie, dependencies).  Sigh.  OK, I can go rebuild it all from 
source.

> haven't had time for anything else yet, including the 36 bit address

OK, I don't need the latest 2.6 stuff - where can I grab some 
tarballs of older 2.4 kernels with the mips patches applied - 
does such a thing exist?

Greg

---

From: Pete Popov <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Oct 2003 22:01:46 -0700

> tarballs of older 2.4 kernels with the mips patches applied - 

Just grab the latest 2.4 branch, which is linux_2_4. The branch is at
2.4.22, so it's up to date with the 2.4 kernels. The patches in
/pub/linux/mips/people/ppopov should apply cleanly (there are 2.4.21 and
2.4.22 versions of some of the patches). Everything should work well.

Pete