Subject: root login

From: David Kesselring <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:58:13 -0400 (EDT)

I apologize for the many recent questions but I have another trivia
question for all of you. :-)
I have installed the RH7.3 miniport to a harddrive connected to a MIPS
Malta board. The kernel the comes with the port (2.4.18) works fine. I
then took the cvs code (2.4.22) for mips and built it for malta. The first
few builds worked ok (which means I could logon as root). Then I changed
something in the build process so that now the kernels which I build won't
allow me to logon as root. I've changed /etc/passwd to eliminate the root
pw. Does anyone know how a kernel can affect the login like this?
Thanks,

David Kesselring
Atmel MMC
[email-masked]
919-462-6587

---

From: Tiemo Krueger - mycable GmbH <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:15:34 +0200

Hmm, I remember that we had once a similar problem, but I can't remember 
the reason
nor the solution. It appeared that we where not able to login as root, 
but user login was possible.
Logged in as user I was allowed to 'su' to root.
Perhaps this may be a hint, perhaps not, perhaps Bruno remembers the 
solution???

Tiemo

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------
Tiemo Krueger       Tel:  +49 48 73 90 19 86
mycable GmbH        Fax: +49 48 73 90 19 76
Boeker Stieg 43
D-24613 Aukrug      eMail: [email-masked]

Public Kryptographic Key is available on request
-------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Joerg Ritter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:12:58 +0200

You have probably enabled secure tty.
Please check /etc/securetty and add /dev/ttys0 or /dev/tts/0 (for devfs).

/Joerg

---

From: David Kesselring <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:51:58 -0400 (EDT)

I am able to login as a user and su to root. I still have not found the
reason for the problem. Well, for now I have something that works.
Thanks for the help.
David

David Kesselring
Atmel MMC
[email-masked]
919-462-6587

---

From: "Gleb O. Raiko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 12:57:12 +0400

> reason for the problem. Well, for now I have something that works.

Current date is too far from a file timestamp. Try back to the future.
:-)

Regrads,
Gleb.