Subject: LK201 keyboard

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:10:33 +0200

Hi!

I'm currently reworking the LK201 keyboard driver to attach it to the
new Input API, as well as letting it use the serio interface (-> this
way, you're not bound to dz.c/zs.c).

I've got a little problem with it, though. I've got docs (for the VAX)
which describe the LK201 in detail. First of all, the "Set LEDs On"
command is wrong there (advertised as 0x12, but 0x13 actually works;
this is what the current driver uses, too). That may be a typo, though..

However, the "Set Mode" command (to set the repeat mode for a block of
keys) doesn't work for me on a lk201. Using a lk401 instead, these
commands work. Every time I send a set-mode command, I get a Input Error
(from the keyboard) sent back...

I'd like to ask you DECstation users to verify that the set-mode command
actually works for you on a lk201... Or do you all use the newer lk401?

MfG, JBG

-- 
   Jan-Benedict Glaw       [email-masked]    . +49-172-7608481
   "Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg
    fuer einen Freien Staat voll Freier Bürger" | im Internet! |   im Irak!
   ret = do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(NEW_COPYRIGHT_LAW | DRM | TCPA));

---

From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:51:21 +0200 (MET DST)

> way, you're not bound to dz.c/zs.c).

 Thanks for your effort and please cooperate -- I have some have
half-baked patches for the driver to let it pass native codes for the raw 
mode as appropriate.

> this is what the current driver uses, too). That may be a typo, though..

 This is definitely a typo -- 0x12 is a Set Mode command (mode: 1, key
group: 2; a repeat register number follows).  The definitions in lk201.h
have been verified to be correct.

> (from the keyboard) sent back...

 Strange -- these work for me.

> actually works for you on a lk201... Or do you all use the newer lk401?

 I have an LK201 and the current code was tested almost exclusively with
it.

-- 
+  Maciej W. Rozycki, Technical University of Gdansk, Poland   +
+--------------------------------------------------------------+
+        e-mail: [email-masked], PGP key available        +

---

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:23:28 +0200

On Tue, 2003-10-21 15:51:21 +0200, Maciej W. Rozycki <[email-masked]>
>  Strange -- these work for me.

What the "old" lk driver uses is more-or-less what could be referred as
power-on configuration. Even if there are set mode commande - if they
were ignored, it would silently work as expected. Could you set all
groups to "DOWN_UP_MODE" and verify that it no longer works?

MfG, JBG

---

From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:56:02 +0200 (MET DST)

> groups to "DOWN_UP_MODE" and verify that it no longer works?

 No problem -- I'll look at it.  We'll need the down/up mode for X11, so
it has to work.  Note: the LK4xx series keyboards start in the LK201
compatibility mode -- they have to be switched to the native mode with a
command if desired, so unless you are reprogramming your LK401 to its
native mode, what works for it should also work for the LK201.

---

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:34:44 +0200

On Wed, 2003-10-22 15:56:02 +0200, Maciej W. Rozycki <[email-masked]>
> it has to work.  Note: the LK4xx series keyboards start in the LK201

Erm, is this even correct if this keyboard isn't used "natively" by X11,
but through the Input API?

MfG, JBG

---

From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:55:58 +0200 (MET DST)

> but through the Input API?

 For the console (or the cooked mode) we already set up the device
correctly.

---

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:37:37 +0200

On Wed, 2003-10-22 19:55:58 +0200, Maciej W. Rozycki <[email-masked]>
>  For the console (or the cooked mode) we already set up the device

That doesn't exactly answer my question, but I think I'll figure it out
at some time:) At least, if I get XFree through the compiler at some
time (on a VAX).

MfG, JBG

---

From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:11:03 +0100 (CET)

> at some time:) At least, if I get XFree through the compiler at some

 I've just misunderstood the question -- sorry.  For XFree86 the current
state is the "native" support doesn't work as of 3.3.6 (that's what I
have) because of broken mappings both in the kernel and in XFree86 and
that version doesn't support the input API AFAIK.  I'm told the "native"
support doesn't work for newer versions of XFree86, either, and I haven't
seen any reports about the input API.