Subject: Can't boot RedHat 7.3 Linux on Mips Malta

From: "Gil Lauer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 13:51:02 -0700

I am new to Linux and a new subscriber to linux-mips.

I downloaded the RedHat Linux distribution that MIPS Technology posts at
ftp://ftp.mips.com/pub/linux/mips/installation/redhat7.3/01.00/ and I
cannot get through the installation process.  I can load and run the
pre-built installation kernel, but when it tries to load the prebuilt
Linux image via NFS I get the following error:

Welcome to the MIPS installation of RedHat RPMS.

Install method (CD-ROM, NFS) [CD-ROM] NFS

IP-address of target system: [192.168.201.68] 192.168.114.150

SIOCSIFADDR: No such device

eth0: unknown interface: No such device

Since I have successfully loaded and run the prebuilt Linux installation
image via Yamon, I know that the network connection is working.  Since
this image is built to run on the Malta board, it is odd that it can't
find the built-in ethernet connection.

I have attached a complete log of the console output.  Any pointers on
where I am going wrong would be welcome.

Gil Lauer