Subject: Re:lib.a

From: David Kesselring <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 17:22:42 -0500 (EST)

The function that I am missing (release_firmware) is compiled into
lib/lib.a. and shows up in lib.a.flags. But it does not show up in vmlinux
binary or the symbol table. I couldn't see that the generic Malta make
file has any garbage collection on but I can't see where it is lost.
What I get is unresolved symbols when I insmod my driver.
Any ideas from the experts?

David Kesselring
Atmel MMC
[email-masked]
919-462-6587

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 01:50:39 +0100

> Any ideas from the experts?

It's a library so if no reference is preceeding the library that member
won't be linked in.

  Ralf

---

From: Geert Uytterhoeven <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 10:34:25 +0100 (MET)

> It's a library so if no reference is preceeding the library that member

And to be usable by a module, you have to make sure the symbol is exported by
the kernel using EXPORT_SYMBOL().

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [email-masked]

In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But
when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that.
							    -- Linus Torvalds