Subject: MIPS 4KCE Core

From: Dennis Castleman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 13:56:54 -0800

Any body know if MIPS 4KEm is supported.

The 4KEm provides a simpler scheme (less expansive) for virtual to physical
address translation. It is based on FMT (Fixed map translation) that
provides a direct address translation that is not configurable.

Question is whether a 16 dual entries FMT as described above would be
sufficient in order to run linux.   

Dennis Castleman
Systems Software Engineering Manager
DTV Group, Zoran Corp. 
1-408-523-4214

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 01:59:31 +0100

> sufficient in order to run linux.   

Linux 2.6 supports something like if CONFIG_MMU is disabled which looks
like it could suit your particular type of application.  So far nobody
has made any attempt to get this to run on MIPS but doesn't look too hard.
This of course will have serious impact on userspace applications -
the ABI necessarily has to change if the MMU is gone.

  Ralf