Subject: Re:

From: "Lyle Bainbridge" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 19:38:58 -0600

Hi,

I am porting the linux-mips 2.4.22 kernel to a custom Au1500 board and I
am seeing strange output when the kernel starts.  Some lines feed ok,
but some don't, and in that case the error level is displayed (ie, <4>).
Also numerous characters are dropped. 

Does anybody have any clue about what might be happening?  See kernel
output below.

Thanks,
Lyle

CPU revision is: 01030200<4>Primary instruction cache 16kB, physically
tagged, 4
-way, linesize 32 bytes.<4>Primary data cache 16kB 4-way, linesize 32
bytes.
Linux version 2.4.22 ([email-masked]) (gcc version 3.3.1) #9
Fri Oct
 31 18:57:53 CST 2003<4>Determined physical RAM map:<4> memory:
0(usable)
On node zone(0): 8192 pages..e4>zone1o): 0 pages.
ss
zone(2): 0 pages.
Kernel command line:  panic=2 ethaddr=00:30:23:50:00:00 root=/dev/hda2
console=t
tyS0,115200
 0ST 2003<4>calculating r4koff... 00493e00(4800000)
CPU frequency 480.00 MHz
set_au1x00_lcd_clock: warning: LCD clock too high (60000
KHz)<4>Calibrating dela
y loop... 478.41 BogoMIPS
Memory:8r9804k/32768k available (1257k kernel code, 2964k reserved, 84k
data, 76
k init, 0k highmem)<6>Dentry cache hash table entries: 4096 (order: 3,
32768 byt
es)
Inode cache hash table entries: 2048 (order: 2, 16384 bytes)
Mount cache hash table entries: 512 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
Buffer cache hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
Page-cache hash table entries: 8192 (order: 3, 32768 bytes)<4>Checking
for 'wait
' instruction... unavailable.
POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
Autoconfig PCI channel 0x80267b18
X1Scanning bus 00, I/O 0x00000300:0x00100000, Mem 0x40000000:0x50000000
 04k data, 76k init, 0k highmem)
00:0c.0 Class 0104: 1103:0007 (rev 01)
        I/O at 0x00000300 [size=0x8]
        I/O at 0x00000308 [size=0x4]
        I/O at 0x00000310 [size=0x8]
        I/O at 0x00000318 [size=0x4]
        I/O at 0x00000400 [size=0x100]
Non-coherent PCI accesses enabled<6>Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.4<6>Based
upon Swan
sea University Computer Society NET3.039
Initializing RT netlink socket
Starting kswapda6>Journalled Block Device driver loaded
pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured<6>Serial driver version 1.01
(2001-02-08) with n
o serial options enabled
 eata, 76k init, 0k highmem)<6>ttyS00 at 0xb1100000 (irq = 0) is a 16550
ttyS01 at 0xb1200000 (irq = 1) is a 16550<6>ttyS02 at 0xb1300000 (irq =
2) is a
16550
ttyS03 at 0xb1400000 (irq = 3) is a 1655056>loop: loaded (max 8 devices)
)(is a 16550<4>au1000eth.c:1.4 [email-masked]
eth0: Au1x Ethernet found at 0xb1500000, irq 28<4>ethaddr not set in
boot prom<6
>eth0: Broadcom BCM5222 10/100 BaseT PHY at phy address 3<6>eth0: Using
Broadcom
 BCM5222 10/100 BaseT PHY as default<6>Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE
driver Revis
ion: 7.00beta4-2.4
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
idebus=xx<6>HP
T371: IDE controller at PCI slot 07:0c.0<6>HPT371: chipset revision
1<6>HPT371:
not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
HPT37X: using 33MHz PCI clock<6>    ide0: BM-DMA at 0x0408-0x040, BIOS
settings:
 hd:pio, hd:pio
HPT371: port 0x0310 already claimed by ide0
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0<6>IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
6>IP: routing cache hash table of 512 buckets, 4Kbytes
verride with idebus=xx=6>TCP: Hash tables configured (established 2048
bind 4096
)

---

From: Pete Popov <[email-masked]>
Date: 03 Nov 2003 10:14:30 -0800

Lyle,

>  0ST 2003<4>calculating r4koff... 00493e00(4800000)

This doesn't look right. Please do another pull of the linux-mips tree.
A few days ago I fixed a masking problem (0x7f vs 0x3f) that resulted in
a bogus CPU frequency reading. The serial baud rate value is calculated
based on the CPU frequency so if the CPU frequency we calculate is
wrong, the uart baud rate will be off too. 

Do a cvs update and if that doesn't fix the problem, let me know.

Pete