Subject: Re: cross debugging r3912 cpu with gdb

From: "Mark and Janice Juszczec" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 12:48:44 +0000

Daniel

>
>Then what ARE you using on the target?
>

I have a kernel, busybox (for init and sh) and kaffe+associated files.  
These have all been cross compiled from i386 for mipsel-linux using gcc 
(2.95 or 3.0).

>You have to connect to some particular debug stub.  That determines
>what protocol to use.
>

I wanted to test starting the whole thing up and connecting with gdb before 
trying to actually debug anything.  So, I haven't begun to worry about debug 
stubs.

Frankly, I'm confused as to where they'd go.  It seems to me I want to let 
the kernel start up on the pda and then use gdb to tell it to start running 
kaffe.  If that's true, I need debug stubs in kaffe.  Am I completely wrong 
with this idea?

Mark

>--
>Daniel Jacobowitz
>MontaVista Software                         Debian GNU/Linux Developer

_________________________________________________________________
Browse styles for all ages, from the latest looks to cozy weekend wear at 
MSN Shopping.  And check out the beauty products! http://shopping.msn.com

---

From: Daniel Jacobowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 10:39:33 -0500

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 12:48:44PM +0000, Mark and Janice Juszczec wrote:
> trying to actually debug anything.  So, I haven't begun to worry about 
> debug stubs.

GDB has to connect _to_ something :)  If you don't have a stub, nothing
on your target speaks the GDB protocol.

> kaffe.  If that's true, I need debug stubs in kaffe.  Am I completely wrong 

Yes.  I recommend you read the GDB manual, on the section describing
gdbserver.  GDB doesn't connect to the kernel at all, you start a
gdbserver process on the target with the path to kaffe.