Subject: PCMCIA on AMD Alchemy Au1100 boards

From: James Cope <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 13:37:53 +0000

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here can help. I am trying to get PCMCIA 
support working on a board that is very much like the AMD DB1100. Can 
anyone confirm if PCMCIA works on the DB1100? I do not have access to 
one at the moment.

I am using the linux_2_4 tagged kernel from CVS with the
pcmcia-cs-3.1.22 card services package. I have applied the 64bit_pcmcia 
patch to both the kernel and card services code and I have part of the 
PCMCIA system running. I can use the `cardctl' utility to detect the 
presence of PCMCIA cards successfully, however the `cardmgr' daemon 
fails to bind to a socket.

I have a SanDisk Compact Flash card that I'm trying to access. cardmgr 
correctly detects this as an ATA/IDE Fixed Disk and calls `modprobe 
ide_cs.o' which is loading okay. cardmgr then reports the error ``get 
dev info on socket 0 failed: Transport endpoint is not connected'' 
(ENOTCONN).

I can supply more detailed logging and status information if needed, 
but for now I'm wondering if this path has been trodden before? I have 
searched through the linux-mips mail archive, but I have only been able 
to confirm the state of Au1500 PCMCIA support.

Regards,

James Cope

---

From: Pete Popov <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Dec 2003 09:03:05 -0800

On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 05:37, James Cope wrote:
> ide_cs.o' which is loading okay. 

If you get the latest 2.4 kernel, the driver is in drivers/ide/legacy
and it's called "ide-cs", not "ide_cs". What version of 2.4 are you
running?

> cardmgr then reports the error ``get 

Sounds familiar, I think. Sounds like mismatch in the driver name and
the pcmcia config file. If your driver is named ide_cs, the "devinfo"
inside the driver is set to "ide_cs" and that string won't match an
"ide-cs", which is probably what your pcmcia config file has... I'm
guessing.

Pete

---

From: James Cope <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 17:38:19 +0000

On 15 Dec 2003, at 17:03, Pete Popov wrote:

> What version of 2.4 are you running?

2.4.23-rc3 (CVS tag linux_2_4).

> "ide-cs", which is probably what your pcmcia config file has... I'm

In the kernel source the driver is named ide-cs and in the 
pcmcia-cs-3.1.22 tree it is named ide_cs. Not only are they named 
differently, but they behave differently too. I have since `fixed' the 
problem by using ide_cs rather than ide-cs. I've not yet had a chance 
to investigate exactly what the incompatibility between the two is, so 
far I only know that one works and the other doesn't.

Thanks for your comments.

Regards,

James Cope