Subject: mipsel-linux-objcopy problem

From: "Mark and Janice Juszczec" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 02:11:22 +0000

Hi folks

On one system, I've got

# mipsel-linux-objcopy --version
GNU objcopy 2.8.1
Copyright 1997 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no warranty.

# ls -l memload-full
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      1791550 Feb  1 20:46 memload-full

# mipsel-linux-objcopy -Obinary --remove-section=.bss --remove-section=.data 
--remove-section=.mdebug --pad-to=0x9fe00000 memload-full tryrom

[root@mjolnir hfload]# ls -l tryrom
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      2097152 Feb  1 21:09 tryrom

on another system,

# mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu-objcopy --version
GNU objcopy 2.13.90.0.18 20030121
Copyright 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no warranty.

# ls -l memload-full
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      1791550 Feb  1 20:35 memload-full

mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu-objcopy -Obinary --remove-section=.bss 
--remove-section=.data --remove-section=.mdebug --pad-to=0x9fe00000 
memload-full tryrom

# ls -l tryrom
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      1725680 Feb  1 21:01 tryrom

Any idea why tryrom made with mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu-objcopy ver 
2.13.90.0.18 is smaller than the one made with mipsel-linux-objcopy ver 
2.8.1

This is a step in making a rom image for an emulator.  The emulator needs 
the file tryrom to be  2097152.  I'm stuck.

Help.

Mark

_________________________________________________________________
Learn how to choose, serve, and enjoy wine at Wine @ MSN. 
http://wine.msn.com/

---

From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 14:21:29 +0100 (CET)

> 2.13.90.0.18 is smaller than the one made with mipsel-linux-objcopy ver 

 Perhaps there's a bug in one or both of the versions.  2.8.1 is terribly
old and 2.13.90 (as all binutils versions with 9x at the third position)  
is a CVS snapshot.  You may try upgrading to 2.14 before starting further
experiments.

> the file tryrom to be  2097152.  I'm stuck.

 What does `readelf -e memload-full' output?

-- 
+  Maciej W. Rozycki, Technical University of Gdansk, Poland   +
+--------------------------------------------------------------+
+        e-mail: [email-masked], PGP key available        +