Subject: RE: MIPS Kernel size

From: "Smith, Todd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 16:48:43 -0500

Hello Ralf,

I like the idea of the -tiny tree and I hope that these changes get merged
back into the main kernel tree.  One of Linux's historic advantages is that
it can run on older equipment but the trend seems to be supporting only
current equipment

Thanks

Todd Smith

---

From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 14:41:09 +0100 (CET)

> it can run on older equipment but the trend seems to be supporting only

 I beg your pardon, but isn't the DECstation old enough?

-- 
+  Maciej W. Rozycki, Technical University of Gdansk, Poland   +
+--------------------------------------------------------------+
+        e-mail: [email-masked], PGP key available        +

---

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 15:50:14 +0100

On Mon, 2004-02-02 16:48:43 -0500, Smith, Todd <[email-masked]>
> it can run on older equipment but the trend seems to be supporting only

It's even running on VAXen. But I admit that I like having more than 8MB
of RAM, though...

MfG, JBG

-- 
   Jan-Benedict Glaw       [email-masked]    . +49-172-7608481
   "Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg
    fuer einen Freien Staat voll Freier Bürger" | im Internet! |   im Irak!
   ret = do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(NEW_COPYRIGHT_LAW | DRM | TCPA));

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 16:16:25 +0100

> it can run on older equipment but the trend seems to be supporting only

Remember Linux development is user driven.  If you think it doesn't run
well enough on your small system then it's time to heat up your
C compiler :-)

  Ralf

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 16:17:40 +0100

>  I beg your pardon, but isn't the DECstation old enough?

Somehow I'm just sitting in front of two Linux 2.6-supported desktops that
are running pretty well :-)

  Ralf

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 16:18:43 +0100

> It's even running on VAXen. But I admit that I like having more than 8MB

At least that explains why you say you don't need heating :-)

  Ralf

---

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 17:52:26 +0100

On Tue, 2004-02-03 16:18:43 +0100, Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
> At least that explains why you say you don't need heating :-)

Oh, not really :) It's all desktop sized and "only" sucks off a regular
V.230 line...

MfG, JBG

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 18:07:16 +0100

> Oh, not really :) It's all desktop sized and "only" sucks off a regular

CCITT V.230, "General data communications interface, layer 1" ;-)

  Ralf