Subject: RE: r3000 instruction set

From: "Mark and Janice Juszczec" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:56:30 +0000

Hello folks

Thanks for all the information.  Its all been very useful.

Someone suggested posting the message I get.  Here it is:

>./kaffe-bin FirstClass
[kaffe-bin:6] Illgal instruction 674696a at 2abb034, ra=2adbffd0, 
P0_STATUS=0000500
pid 6: killed (signal 4)
>Reading command line: Try again
Kernel panic: Attmpted to kill int!

Someone else suggested dumping all the assembler instructions.  The listing 
is really long, so I made a unique list of the commands themselves.  If 
someone can tell me how to use the above error message to figure out the 
command causing the problem, I'd really appreciate it.  If that's 
impossible, can someone tell me which command listed below does not belong?

/opt/crosstool/mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu/gcc-3.2.3-glibc-2.2.3/bin/mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu-objdump 
-d kaffe-bin | awk '{print $3}' | sort -u

addiu
addu
b
beq
beqz
blez
bne
bnez
jalr
jr
lb
lbu
li
lui
lw
move
nop
ori
sb
sll
slt
sltiu
subu
sw

Finally, can someone tell me where I can get a copy of "See MIPS Run"

Thanks again for all the help

Mark

_________________________________________________________________
Say “good-bye” to spam, viruses and pop-ups with MSN Premium -- free trial 
offer! http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200359ave/direct/01/

---

From: Michael Uhler <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Feb 2004 09:07:51 -0800

> Kernel panic: Attmpted to kill int!

Under the assumption that I'm reading the message right and the
instruction is 0x674696a, that is absolutely a reserved instruction
(it is decoded as a RegImm format instruction with an illegal
rt field.  So unless the 3912 implements something at that code
point, it's really illegal.  I'd check the code generation to
see why it's generating that encoding.

> Finally, can someone tell me where I can get a copy of "See MIPS Run"

Amazon.com should have it.

> Say good-bye to spam, viruses and pop-ups with MSN Premium -- free trial 
-- 

Michael Uhler, Chief Technology Officer
MIPS Technologies, Inc.  Email: [email-masked]  Pager:[email-masked]
1225 Charleston Road     Voice:  (650)567-5025  FAX:   (650)567-5225
Mountain View, CA 94043  Mobile: (650)868-6870  Admin: (650)567-5085

---

From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:13:59 +0100 (CET)

> command causing the problem, I'd really appreciate it.  If that's 

 The causing instructions is 674696a -- depending on the endianness, it's 
either:

6a697406	ldl	t1,29702(s3)

which requires at least MIPS III or:

0674696a	0x674696a

which is completely invalid.

 There are a few ways to track the reason down:

1. Figure out which binary or shared library 0x2abb034 belongs to and 
disassemble the surrounding code.

2. Enable core dumps, run the failing program and do a post-mortem 
analysis of the resulting dump with gdb.

3. Run the failing program under gdb and see where SIGILL happens.

4. Perhaps others.

> -d kaffe-bin | awk '{print $3}' | sort -u

 You really want "-S" instead of "-d" (there's usually no point to 
disassemble data) and add "-m mips:isa64" or a similar, suitably high ISA 
selector (depending on binutils version), so that you get a disassembly of 
all instructions as opposed to those defined by the MIPS I ISA only.

-- 
+  Maciej W. Rozycki, Technical University of Gdansk, Poland   +
+--------------------------------------------------------------+
+        e-mail: [email-masked], PGP key available        +

---

From: "Kevin D. Kissell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:21:19 +0100

> Kernel panic: Attmpted to kill int!

Let me guess.  You are running little-endian.  The instruction word
in memory would be 0x6a697406.  Do you think it's a coincidence
that 0x6a6974 spells "jit" in ASCII?  ;o)

The reported address range looks like that where kaffe builds its
JITted instruciton buffers in MIPS/Linux.  And, like I say, JIT is
somewhat broken for MIPS in Kaffe.  Which version of the kaffe sources 
are you building, and have you tried configuring with --with-engine=intrp
as I suggested?

            Regards,

            Kevin K.

---

From: Dominic Sweetman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 17:59:56 +0000

Mark and Janice,

I think Kevin got it right.  "jit"... don't you love it.

> Finally, can someone tell me where I can get a copy of "See MIPS Run"

amazon.com say "ships within 24 hours".  But your physical location is
a mystery to me, and if you're penguin hackers from Antarctica, that
probably won't help...

--
Dominic Sweetman
MIPS Technologies