Subject: Raq2 & 2.6.4 : Strange output fro msomewhere

From: "Massimo Cetra" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 06:58:20 +0100

Hi!

(i'm new here).
I have managed to compile CVS kernels for 2.6.4 and 2.4.25 trees on my
Raq2... And they work great.

Now...
Under heavy load (generating kernel_headers debian package), i saw the
following:

-cobalt:/proc# uptime
Unknown HZ value! (79) Assume 100.
 06:54:27 up 14 min,  2 users,  load average: 1.77, 1.37, 0.69
cobalt:/proc# sar 2 2
Linux 2.6.4 (cobalt)    04/12/04

06:54:32          CPU     %user     %nice   %system     %idle
06:54:34          all     18.31      0.00     81.69      0.00
06:54:36          all     16.67      0.00     83.33      0.00
Average:          all     17.60      0.00     82.40      0.00
cobalt:/proc# uname -a
Linux cobalt 2.6.4 #2 Mon Apr 12 05:50:49 CEST 2004 mips unknown
cobalt:/proc#

What is : "Unknown HZ value! (79) Assume 100." ????????????????????????

Thanks..

 Massimo

---

From: "Kevin D. Kissell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 09:24:21 +0200

I don't have the sources to "uptime" handy, but the concept of a "HZ" value
us something that goes back to AT&T UNIX, representing the number of
clock interrupts per second.  It was originally 60, as it was based on the 
wall current AC frequency in the US, but once 100 became a popular
value once people started having faster CPUs and stopped using their
power supplies to generate the signal.

Historically, it was a constant specified in some kernel/system header
file like "sys/param.h".

So I would tend to conclude that the uptime program does some kind 
of switch-driven computation based on the value of HZ it picks up (at
build time?), that the value for the Raq2 is 79, and that 79 isn't one
of the values recognized by the code.

---

From: Kumba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 03:53:37 -0400

> What is : "Unknown HZ value! (79) Assume 100." ????????????????????????

What does dmesg say your bogomips are?  There's a patch that fixes a 
small calculation error.  Without it, bogomips reports in at ~2,500, 
instead of 250.  Call it a guess, but if you missed that patch, that 
might be your bug.  Otherwise, I'm not too sure.

--Kumba

-- 
"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: 
small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are 
elsewhere."  --Elrond

---

From: Florian Lohoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 17:54:06 +0200

>  06:54:27 up 14 min,  2 users,  load average: 1.77, 1.37, 0.69

IIRC this is a hint to upgrade your procps :)

2.6 from the Documentation/Changes requires at least 3.2.0

Flo
-- 
Florian Lohoff                  [email-masked]             +49-171-2280134
                        Heisenberg may have been here.