Subject: RE: questions about keyboard

From: "Xu, Jiang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 14:31:18 -0600

Well, this is the problem.
For some reasons, none of the /dev/tty /dev/tty0... /dev/console is
connected to the keyboard, I have tried listening all of them.  Did I
configured something wrong? But kernel seems to be getting the key event
from the keyboard.
Another question is if it should connect to one of those device nodes, is
there anyway I can hack the kernel to see where the key event sent to?

Thanks

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 2:26 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: questions about keyboard

On Wed, 2004-04-14 14:18:18 -0600, Xu, Jiang <[email-masked]> wrote
in message <[email-masked]>:
> However, what I don't get is how can I get the key event from the 
> kernel?  I tried to listen to all the ttyN, but none of them connect to
the keyboard.
> I wonder how I can write a user space application that can get the key
> event?  Could somebody help me out?  Because it is an embedded device,
there
> is no X.

Well, one of /dev/tty, /dev/tty0 or /dev/console should work. If you'd likt
to use the new'n'fancy style, use /dev/input/eventX .

MfG, JBG

-- 
   Jan-Benedict Glaw       [email-masked]    . +49-172-7608481
   "Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg
    fuer einen Freien Staat voll Freier Bürger" | im Internet! |   im Irak!
   ret = do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(NEW_COPYRIGHT_LAW | DRM |
TCPA));

---

From: Geert Uytterhoeven <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:36:36 +0200 (MEST)

> there anyway I can hack the kernel to see where the key event sent to?

Do you have CONFIG_VT=y? I guess not.

Do you receive anything on /dev/input/eventX?

> to use the new'n'fancy style, use /dev/input/eventX .

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [email-masked]

In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But
when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that.
							    -- Linus Torvalds