Subject: questions about keyboard

From: "Xu, Jiang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 14:18:18 -0600

Hi,  All,
 
I tried couple places and hope can get some help here.
 
I try to connect a USB keyboard device to a mips embedded system.
There is no console or X Window or any type of the graphic system
configured.
All I want to do is to:
The user can dynamically connect the USB keyboard to the device. The device
will listen to the key event from the keyboard and response by doing certain
things.
 
I believe I successfully configured the USB keyboard.  I verified this by
put "printk" at the first line of the function handle_scancode in
keyboard.c.  Everytime when I push the key on the keyboard, I see that
printk.
 
However, what I don't get is how can I get the key event from the kernel?  I
tried to listen to all the ttyN, but none of them connect to the keyboard.  
I wonder how I can write a user space application that can get the key
event?  Could somebody help me out?  Because it is an embedded device, there
is no X.
 
Thanks
 
John

---

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:25:34 +0200

On Wed, 2004-04-14 14:18:18 -0600, Xu, Jiang <[email-masked]>
> event?  Could somebody help me out?  Because it is an embedded device, there

Well, one of /dev/tty, /dev/tty0 or /dev/console should work. If you'd
likt to use the new'n'fancy style, use /dev/input/eventX .

MfG, JBG

-- 
   Jan-Benedict Glaw       [email-masked]    . +49-172-7608481
   "Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg
    fuer einen Freien Staat voll Freier Bürger" | im Internet! |   im Irak!
   ret = do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(NEW_COPYRIGHT_LAW | DRM | TCPA));