Subject: SGI O2 MIPS R5000 bootp problems

From: Alexander Markley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 11:55:55 -0400

Hi. I just get an SGI O2 with a MIPS R5000 chip in it, and I'd love to 
run linux on it. The machine seems to be in working order, and has been 
known to boot into IRIX in the recent past.

I have gotten the debian tftp boot images and things, and have properly 
set up dhcp and tftp, but I cannot make this machine boot!

...
 > boot f bootp():r5000_boot.img
Setting $netaddr to 192.168.1.235 (from server )
Obtaining r5000_boot.img from server
7536
Cannot load bootp():r5000_boot.img.
Range check failure: text start 0x88802000, size 0x1d70.
Text section would overwrite an already loaded program.Unable to execute 
bootp():r5000_boot.img:  not enough space
Unable to load bootp():r5000_boot.img: not enough space
...

I'm not sure why this doesn't work for me when it works for everyone 
else... Is it because my machine only has 64 MB of ram?

Another strange bit is that this kernel does load and boot fine: 
http://www.linux-mips.org/~glaurung/O2/linux-2.6.1/kernel/vmlinux64

Of course, it can't finish booting since I didn't provide a root FS, but 
I wonder why the PROM doesn't want to jump to the debian image?

I'll keep trying different things, and keep you guys posted. In the 
meantime, and input would be much appriciated. Also, I haven't joined 
the list, so CCing me would also be appriciated.

ttyl
--Alex

---

From: Ladislav Michl <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 18:15:16 +0200

> Range check failure: text start 0x88802000, size 0x1d70.
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^
What kernel version are you running? This bug was fixed quite long ago.
I'd recommend using recent cvs and patch by Ilya
http://www.total-knowledge.com/progs/mips/patches

> Unable to load bootp():r5000_boot.img: not enough space
[snip]

	ladis

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 18:36:39 +0200

> > Range check failure: text start 0x88802000, size 0x1d70.

Looks like an attempt to load an IP22 kernel into an IP32.

  Ralf

---

From: Karsten Merker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 20:08:48 +0200

> Looks like an attempt to load an IP22 kernel into an IP32.

Definitely - Debian does not yet provide IP32 images, only IP22.

Regards,
Karsten
-- 
#include <standard_disclaimer>
Nach Paragraph 28 Abs. 3 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
oder Uebermittlung meiner Daten fuer Werbezwecke oder fuer die Markt- oder
Meinungsforschung.

---

From: "Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 11:12:49 -0700

And that is why you should use Gentoo!

---

From: Alexander Markley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 18:34:00 -0400

> Looks like an attempt to load an IP22 kernel into an IP32.

Yeah, that's probably it... I've learned a lot since I started this 
thread, and I'm not having any real trouble netbooting now.

Thanks all.
ttyl
--Alex