Subject: Re: help needed : cannot install linux on SGI O2 R5000

From: Max Zaitsev <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 12:10:05 +0200

Hi!

thanks for the prompt answer. actually I've messed things up slightly. The 
kernel that I could boot with relative success was a frame buffer enabled one 
from Ilia (http://www.total-knowledge.com/progs/mips/kernels/
vmlinux.64-20040315).

> The IP32 Netboot I have requires you to setup an NFS-exportable root for it
> to work properly ... There should be an initrd link in the ip32 directory --
> use that for NFS root, and pass at minimum 'root=/dev/nfs
>
this I've tried already, but the thing is that the netboot kernel does not go 
beyond telling me what the entry point was. I've also tried to use the kernel 
from Ilya with the same root. There, everything would hang after starting the 
initrd script.

> and it's advised you run off of serial console (if you 
> aren't already). 
>
actually, I don't. I don't have a serial console/cable in my possetion and was 
intending to actually use the display/keyboard combination to perform the 
installation. Would it be possible? Can you advise me where to get a suitable 
netboot kernel?

Regards,
Max

---

From: Kumba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 17:14:54 -0400

> from Ilya with the same root. There, everything would hang after starting the 

Since you're on the framebuffer, likely the kernel was attaching to the 
serial console to display it's messages, thus why you didn't see any 
messages after the entry point.

> installation. Would it be possible? Can you advise me where to get a suitable 

The framebuffer is still a bit flakey last I heard.  The netboot I have 
supports the netboot, but I have no idea how well it works.  Likely, 
it'll be several revisions of the kernel before the framebuffer becomes 
stable.

The O2 itself uses a standard DB9M connector, so it should be rather 
easy to obtain a cable and null-modem adapter to do serial console with 
for the machine.  Far easier than hunting down the obscure serial 
connectors for IP22 machines.  Serial, for now, my reccomended form of 
installing -- it'll be a lot less painless, IMHO.

Lastly, the netboot I have is geared for a gentoo install, if that's 
what you'll be installing, you'll want to aim any gentoo-specific 
questions to the gentoo-mips ML.  If it's a debian install, then you 
might be in for a fun ride or such, but I believe they are working on an 
O2 netboot of their own w/ the d-i setup and such.

--Kumba

-- 
"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: 
small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are 
elsewhere."  --Elrond