Subject: EJTAG and RTL8181

From: Jason Hecker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 11:36:16 +1000

I am trying to get JTAG working with Realtek's RTL8181 part.  It uses a Lexra 
LX5280 core which is mostly MIPS R3000 compatible (bar the unaligned load and 
save instructions).

A chronicle of my efforts can be seen here: 
http://www.wireless.org.au/~jhecker/rtljtag

Realtek can't offer me a BSDL file as they claim they use some 3rd party tool 
to talk to it with JTAG.  My lack of luck with Macraigor's Wiggler and a demo 
of their OCD debugger (in Windows) in EJTAG mode just yielded a screenful of 
errors.

Has anyone had much experience with Wigglers and MIPS based parts that don't 
support EJTAG?  Any ideas on trying to reverse engineer the boundary scan 
chain?

---

From: Dan Malek <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 23:26:21 -0400

> support EJTAG?  Any ideas on trying to reverse engineer the boundary 

Have you contacted Abatron?  I've used their BDI2000 on quite a few MIPS
processors.  Anything that supported some form of E/JTAG worked well.
They are awesome folks to work with, and are likely to be able to 
provide
some form of assistance or information.

	-- Dan