Subject: Gnome/Mozilla on Malta

From: "Ratin Kumar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 11:49:36 -0700

Hi,

Has anyone tried building gnome and/or mozilla for Malta?

My target is RH7.3 port for mipsel with a matrox mill II PCI card in frame
buffer mode.

I have tried native build of gnome and got quiet a few components going.

I have also tried garnome with some success in getting a few components to
build but it failed with Nautilus.

I have also tried KDE but for some odd reason it does not pick up my QT
installation during configure stage, even after I have set the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH...

Basically I want to have a browser running on RH installation.

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance.

-Ratin.

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 21:26:18 +0200

> Has anyone tried building gnome and/or mozilla for Malta?

Really, there's nothing Malta-specific in Gnome or Mozilla.

> installation during configure stage, even after I have set the

Take a look at what the configure script really does.  Typically when
something like this happens the config script is trying to link a library
which fails because the library doesn't have the necessary DT_NEEDED
entries due to yet other bugs or the symbol it is tested for doesn't
exist in that particular version.

Having the right compiler version is very important to get some gnome code
to work.  Even more so if it's written in C++ and for KDE code.  You may
want to check you're using the same versions as i.e. i386 was using for
the same distribution.

> Basically I want to have a browser running on RH installation.

How about cheating, the Debian people got it working ;-)

  Ralf