Subject: Kernel and monitor program

From: "S C" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 22:17:52 +0000

Hello all,

Please pardon the newbie question, but I was wondering what a kernel in 
general expects a monitor program/bootloader like YAMON to do for it 
beforehand, if anything at all. I know the answer is very board specific, 
but if there are any generic things that a kernel expects ready for it 
before it starts running (caches initialized already? SDRAM control regs set 
up? Or maybe the kernel has no expectations at all?), I'd be grateful if 
someone could point them out.

TIA,
-S.

_________________________________________________________________
Watch the online reality show Mixed Messages with a friend and enter to win 
a trip to NY 
http://www.msnmessenger-download.click-url.com/go/onm00200497ave/direct/01/

---

From: Jun Sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 15:26:52 -0700

> someone could point them out.

This is almost an FAQ.  (although I don't know if I am giving the
same answer each time ;0)

. initialize system RAM and its controller
. copy kernel to RAM (in normal cases, unless you do XIP)
. initialize and enable cache
. (optionally) pass some args to kernel
. (optionally) initial some board hw.  This is really a negotiation 
   between loader and linux board setup routine.

Jun