Subject: input_event for 64-bit kernel and 32-bit userland.

From: Pavel Kiryukhin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 14:06:10 +0400

Hi all,
I stuck in simple situation:
USB mouse (or keyboard). n64 kernel (2.4.20), n32 userland.

Userspace application tries to read "input_event" (16 bytes) from 
"/dev/input/event0" [ read(fd,&key_ev, sizeof(key_ev)) ],
input core driver treats "input_event" as 24 bytes structure. It is due 
to different size of  "timeval" (and finally  "long") in n64 kernel and 
n32 userland.

Application gets some garbage as mouse events . No solutions like "ioctl 
wrappers" applicable in this case.

I don't want to change any arch independent files, but can not find any
acceptable solution. It looks like headers "/usr/include/linux/input.h" 
in root file system and "/include/linux/input.h" in kernel should be the 
same,
 (All works fine as soon as I declare a new "input_event" structure in 
user application that corresponds in size to kernel
structure - but this is not acceptable).

Can anybody advice me what to do with the difference in "input_event"
structure sizes in o32/n32 userland and n64 kernel? Just a general 
approach that can be used when  driver's read/write operation treat some 
values as 64 bit while user application tries to read/write 32-bit 
values (based on the same headers).

Please, don't kick me if solution is simple and obvious.
---
Thanks,
Pavel Kiryukhin.

---

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 12:55:31 +0200

On Wed, 2004-06-02 14:06:10 +0400, Pavel Kiryukhin <[email-masked]>

> to different size of  "timeval" (and finally  "long") in n64 kernel and 

You'd probably Cc: that to LKML, too. That's an issue for all systems
running 64bit kernel with 32bit userland (eg. Ultra-Sparc, PPC64, IA64,
x86_64, ...).

MfG, JBG

-- 
   Jan-Benedict Glaw       [email-masked]    . +49-172-7608481
   "Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg
    fuer einen Freien Staat voll Freier Bürger" | im Internet! |   im Irak!
   ret = do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(NEW_COPYRIGHT_LAW | DRM | TCPA));