Subject: Re: help needed : cannot install linux on SGI O2 R5000

From: Max Zaitsev <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 08:59:36 +0200

Hi Kumba,

thanks for your tips. Actually, I've got some progress (after I've realised 
why your kernels did not work) and found that the kernel from Glaurung 
(http://www.linux-mips.org/~glaurung/) has a framebuffer support and accepts 
the netboot root (initrd image) from your distribution. So I've proceeded 
building stage1 system, but got following errors while compiling GCC:
-----
Bootstrap comparison failure!
insn-recog.o differs
make[1]: *** [compare-lean] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.3.3-r3/work/build/gcc'
make: *** [bootstrap-lean] Error 2

!!! ERROR: sys-devel/gcc-3.3.3-r3 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 533, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

gentoo-mips-20040426 portage #
-----
I'm not sure if this is the correct list to *complain* though. I'm also 
wondering if this can occur due to the version of kernel that I'm using.

Another question is more related to the gentoo philosophy: is it possible to 
make bootstrap script to only finish things that have not been finished, 
without repeating the whole thing before?

Thanks for your help,
Max

---

From: Max Zaitsev <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 17:13:02 +0200

Hi,

Ok, what I've decided to do is to try to pull the stage3 system and build the 
actual kernel with frame-buffer support while running glaurung's kernel 
(which was the only binary kernel that worked for me). Actually, glaurung's 
kernel is definitely not perfectly stable, I'm experiencing random hangs and 
oops time to time, but I thought it would be good enough for bootstrapping. 
Is it really?

Btw, the neither from Ilya's kernels did not work for me -- the recent one 
boots but hangs on busybox startup. The older ones either do not boot at all 
or crash during bootup. 

So, is there a way out? I did not try yet the binary kernels from Kumba, 
because they are built for a serial console and I don't have a cable so far. 
Honestly, looking for such a cable would be the last thing on my list...

Any advises would be greatly appreciated.

--Max

On Wednesday 02 June 2004 04:58 pm, [email-masked] wrote:
> Right - this is not correct list to complaint to about Gentoo installation
> problems. As for the problem - chances of getting bootstrap all the
> way to the end on glaurung's kernel are very slim due to broken RTC
> support (which is what bit you). Make gets rather confused, when
> time goes backwards, or in zig-zags and circles ;-)
>