Subject: Dummy keyboard driver

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 22:09:23 +0200

Is there still a need for the dummy keyboard driver?  Right now DUMMY_KEYB
is being set for a bunch of platforms without having any effect so I take
to mean we can remove dummy_keyb.c.

  Ralf

---

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 00:38:30 +0200

On Sat, 2004-06-19 22:09:23 +0200, Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
> to mean we can remove dummy_keyb.c.

I (vax 2.6.x tree) don't even have that file, and there shouldn't be no
need for any kind of dummy keyboard. Either there's at least one
keyboard attached (multiple are fine, though), you get input. No
keyboard (driver), no input. Simple.

Just drop it.

MfG, JBG

-- 
   Jan-Benedict Glaw       [email-masked]    . +49-172-7608481
   "Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg
    fuer einen Freien Staat voll Freier Bürger" | im Internet! |   im Irak!
   ret = do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(NEW_COPYRIGHT_LAW | DRM | TCPA));

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 02:03:48 +0200

> keyboard (driver), no input. Simple.

I don't think the original reason for it still exists and even if it
was it'd need to be rewritten and moved so I'm removing it now.

  Ralf

---

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 12:11:53 +0200

On Sun, 2004-06-20 02:03:48 +0200, Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
> was it'd need to be rewritten and moved so I'm removing it now.

Right. Looong ago, you had to have keyboard driver if you had CONFIG_VT
switched on (because tty/vt core then referenced some functions for key
mapping and LED status setting), but those times are gone.

Today's dummy keyboard actually *is* the whole Input API. I think the
"direct" way of pumping data into tty/vt core went away around 2.6.1 (or
around that), when the parisc team ported their HIL and ps2-keyboard
drivers to Input API drivers or serio adaptors.

MfG, JBG