Subject: Linux on SNI RM300E ?

From: Thomas Kunze <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 01:12:20 -0800

Hi,

i've tried to install Debian Woody MIPS on my SNI RM300E but i can't get it work.
bootp() and tftp() works. the bios load's the tftpboot.img over the net. after that
only an exception appears on the screen. the boot screen looks like this:

Obtaining /tftpboot/sash_pci from server
2027520+1762928+95120 entry 0x8800246C

EXCEPTION: <vector=UTLBMiss>
EXCEPTION pc: 0x8800246C
Cause register: 0x800C
Status register: 0x200010003
Bad Vaddress: 0x3C40

is anybody out there how can help me?

with best regards
thomas

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***Protect your PC from local E-Mail Application security holes***
***Maintain your Privacy - MS Passport Free***
***Anti SPAM "Whitelist" feature***

http://www.xmail.net Web E-Mail, accessible anywhere, 128 bit SSL Secure

Voice Messages, Voice Calls (VoIP), Video Conferencing,  
XMail Messenger, Personal Web Hosting, Private Disk Storage,  
Calendar, Bookmarks, Forwarding, Virtual Mail Map Aliasing

XMail Premium: 20 - 250MB Storage, 20MB Messages, SMTP, POP3, Ad Free
Starting at $9.95 per year
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anonymous Web Surfing http://www.snoopblocker.com
Search http://www.teradex.com

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 21:35:10 +0200

> i've tried to install Debian Woody MIPS on my SNI RM300E but i can't get

I support the RM200C in the little endian configuration and I'm probably the
only user of Linux on an RM machine at all.  Afaik no little endian systems
have been shipped since SNI and Microsoft axed NT for MIPS making my
configuration extremly rare and I've not been able to obtain the big endian
firmware for the system - which is showing signs of upcoming hardware death
so whenever that happens I won't be able to support the SNI [1] code anymore.
Just to make life a little bit more misserable I only have hardware
documentation on the RM200/300 C (possibly D, would have to check) series
so I have not idea to what degree the architecture differs the RM300.

Conversion of the existing code to work on a big endian RM200/300C would
be easy to do though and I can help whoever wants to try ...

  Ralf

[1] RM hardware dumped in front of my door accepted ;-)