Subject: YAMON compiling

From: "Roman Mashak" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:37:52 +0900

Hello!

After installing  SDE toolkit onto Linux box I tried to compile the
YAMON bootloader source code (version of YAMON is 2.00). Few errors arised:

../arch/include/mips.h: Assembler messages:
../arch/include/mips.h:397: Warning: rest of line ignored; first ignored
character is `/'
../arch/include/mips.h:398: Warning: rest of line ignored; first ignored
character is `/'
../arch/include/mips.h:399: Warning: rest of line ignored; first ignored
character is `/'
../arch/include/pb1000.h:1: Warning: rest of line ignored; first ignored
character is `/'
../arch/include/pb1000.h:3: Warning: rest of line ignored; first ignored
character is `/'
../arch/include/pb1000.h:406: Warning: rest of line ignored; first ignored
character is `/'
./../init/reset/reset.S:98: Warning: rest of line ignored; first ignored
character is `/'
./../init/reset/reset.S:99: Warning: rest of line ignored; first ignored
character is `/'
../arch/init/reset_db1550.S:641: Warning: rest of line ignored; first
ignored character is `/'
../arch/init/reset_db1550.S:739: Error: absolute expression required `li'
../arch/init/reset_db1550.S:783: Error: absolute expression required `li'
../arch/init/reset_db1550.S:821: Error: absolute expression required `li'
make: *** [reset.o] Error1

The lines in mips.h that arise these warnings are the following:

// #define AU1000 0x00030100
//#define AU1000 0x01030200
//#define AU1000_2_1 0x00030200

It seems it doesn't understand the comment syntax.

    I have installed the version 5.03.06-LITE of SDE. Following is the code
extract around which error occures:

#define t1 $9
#define mem_sdconfiga  0x0840
#define MEM_SDCONFIGA_DDR   0x9030060A
#define MEM_SDREFCFG_D_DDR  MEM_SDCONFIGA_DDR

li      t1, MEM_SDREFCFG_D_DDR
sw      t1, mem_sdconfiga(t0)
sync

Compiler thinks  'li t1, MEM_SDREFCFG_D_DDR'  is 'bad expression',  may be
it guesses MEM_SDREFCFG_D_DDR is not defined correctly?

Thank you for every help in advance!

With best regards, Roman Mashak.  E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Chris Dearman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:52:30 +0100

> YAMON bootloader source code (version of YAMON is 2.00). Few errors
...
> //#define AU1000_2_1 0x00030200

   The original MIPS assembler used '#' as a comment character.  Using 
an ANSI style C preprocessor where preprocessor directives do not need 
to be at the beginning of the line can can cause problems with files 
using this type of comment.  For this reason sde-gcc tells the 
preprocessor to run in "traditional" mode which disables various ANSI 
features.  In particular, the preprocessor in traditional mode does not 
accept '//' style comments.

> it guesses MEM_SDREFCFG_D_DDR is not defined correctly?

   If the '#define' was not at the beginning of the line the 
preprocessor in traditional mode will ignore them and the assembler 
would end up treating these lines as comments which would cause this error.

   I've attached a patch that works on a MIPS release of the YAMON-2.00 
sources to override the preprocessor mode for assembler files. See if it 
helps...

	Chris

-- 
Chris Dearman          The Fruit Farm, Ely Road    voice +44 1223 706206
MIPS Technologies (UK) Chittering, Cambs, CB5 9PH  fax   +44 1223 706250
--- bin/makefile.orig	Tue Jul 20 19:49:19 2004
+++ bin/makefile	Tue Jul 20 19:49:49 2004
@@ -288,7 +288,7 @@
 # SDE toolchain does not allow a construct like ".bss", it requires
 # .section bss instead.
 ifeq ($(TOOLCHAIN),sde)
-CC_OPTS_A = $(CC_OPTS) -D_ASSEMBLER_ -D_SDE_
+CC_OPTS_A = $(CC_OPTS) -D_ASSEMBLER_ -D_SDE_ -fno-traditional-cpp
 else
 CC_OPTS_A = $(CC_OPTS) -D_ASSEMBLER_
 endif