Subject: Q: problems with missing /dev/tty0 on X startup in MIPS system

From: Ralf Ackermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 20:02:28 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

I'm trying to get VGA output on a MIPSel system (MeshCube 
http://www.meshcube.org) to work. 
The system uses a miniPCI ATI Rage VGA card (=> problem does not get 
initialized due to lack of system BIOS => hopefully initialized by int10 
XFree86 x86 emulator code).

I've attached an USB mouse and keyboard but fail to start X due to

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)

My questions to those working with MIPS boards / on the Ruby/Linux console 
project are:
 - 1. How to test the USB input functionality?
	(I could test the mouse by doing: cat < /dev/input/mice
	=> any hints on doing something similar for the keyboard?)
 - 2. Any hints on the missing /dev/tty0 stuff? (this is maybe
	related to the console / keyboard stuff?)

Any hints are welcome, best regards
 Ralf

---------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Ralf Ackermann            _         [email-masked]
Multimedia Communications |/ | | |\/|           Merckstrasse 25
                          |\ |_| |  |  64283 Darmstadt, Germany
Tel.: (+49) 6151 16-6138                Fax: (+49) 6151 16-6152
---------------------------------------------------------------
             http://www.kom.tu-darmstadt.de/~rac
---------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Geert Uytterhoeven <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:04:58 +0200 (MEST)

> XFree86 x86 emulator code).

So virtual consoles are not working.

> 	related to the console / keyboard stuff?)

Yep, that's the current virtual console. Do you have CONFIG_VT enabled? If yes,
probably the VC initialization failed due to vgacon failing. In that case, you
can try enabling dummycon (and hope X can wake up your graphics card).

BTW, there exists (depending on your kernel version) code in atyfb to
initialize the RAGE XL.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [email-masked]

In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But
when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that.
							    -- Linus Torvalds

---

From: "Svetoslav Slavtchev" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:11:33 +0200 (MEST)

> 	=> any hints on doing something similar for the keyboard?)

not a guru here, but i hope this will help you
-----------------------
modprobe evdev
cat /proc/bus/input/devices
: Bus=0011 Vendor=0001 Product=0001 Version=ab41
N: Name="AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio0/input0
H: Handlers=kbd event0
B: EV=120003
B: KEY=4 2000000 2b803878 f840d001 f2ffffdf ffefffff ffffffff fffffffe
B: LED=7
<snip>
cat /dev/input/event0
------
should give you some characters on typing to
the corresponding keyboard

> Any hints are welcome, best regards

best,

svetljo

-- 
NEU: WLAN-Router für 0,- EUR* - auch für DSL-Wechsler!
GMX DSL = supergünstig & kabellos http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

---

From: Goswin von Brederlow <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 22:06:53 +0200

> xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)

Didn't you see my mail about MAKEDEV?

MfG
        Goswin

---

From: Ralf Ackermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 00:15:49 +0200 (CEST)

Still unable to get the miniPCI ATI Rage to work with the meshcube.

> BTW, there exists (depending on your kernel version) code in atyfb to

Hello Geert,

many thanks for your help. With the dummycon and the atyfb code activated 
(I'm using a 2.4.24 kernel) I was able to start the X server.

Unfortunately - neither the fbdev code nor the X startup activates the 
card.
The X startup failed with an "unable to map the card" once and now 
repeatedly fails with:

...
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Fri Aug 13 00:05:26 2004
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

I do not see whether any int10 module specific code is executed (the X.log 
file does not indicate any module load activities at all.

Any hints here on the list on how to proceed? I'll probably better try 
to ask the Xfree people now.

best regards
 Ralf

---

From: Pete Popov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 15:28:00 -0700

>The X startup failed with an "unable to map the card" once and now 

I don't know which ATI Rage card you have exactly, but there is a patch 
for the RageXL (tested on a MIPS board) on 
ftp.linux-mips.org:/pub/linux/mips/people/ppopov/2.4/aty_nobiosinit.patch.

The problem is that at kernel version 2.4.24 or .25, don't remember 
which one, the aty code was restructured and the patch does not apply 
anymore.

Pete