Subject: Busybox v0.60.2 insmod gives segmentation fault without any messages when trying to load a loadable module

From: Manish Lohani <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 10:30:32 -0700

I have a driver loadable module which i am compiling with the same gcc
flags as used to compile a kernel for a MIPS R5432 based NEC board.

On the development machine, to compile files driver1.c and driver2.c:
$ mips_fp_le-gcc -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -G 0
-mno-abicalls -fno-pic -pipe -mtune=r5000 -mlong-calls -mips2 -Wall -c
driver1.c

$mips_fp_le-ld -r -o driver --printmap --cref driver1.o driver2.o

mips_fp_le-gcc (GCC) version 3.3.1
mips_fp_le-ld (GNU ld) version 2.14

I have Busybox v0.60.2 on the target.

On the target:
# insmod ./driver
Using driver
Segmentation fault
#

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Manu

---

From: David Daney <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 10:48:00 -0700

> Does anybody have any suggestions as to what could be wrong?

BusyBox0.60.x's insmod does not work with gcc-3.3 and above.

I use a patched version of the real insmod:

# insmod --version
insmod version 2.4.25

I forget where I put the patch, but the insmod author told me that the
patches were in a later version.  So if I were you, I would use version
2.4.26 or higher.

David Daney.