Subject: Problem with ARP response

From: "Rajesh B. V." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 10:45:06 +0530

Hi All,

I have a network setup where both the LAN interface (eth0) and WAN 
interface (eth1) of a Router running Linux will be put into same Switch.
The setup is :
LAN network is : 192.168.1.0/24  ( Router LAN interface IP is 
192.168.1.1/24 with xx:01 as MAC)
Router WAN interface IP is a static public IP with xx:02 as MAC.

Now when a PC from the LAN networks tries to reach (ping) LAN interface 
(eth0) of Router i observe vague ARP entry in the PC for the IP.
I see some times WAN interface (eth1) MAC as the ARP entry in PC and some 
times LAN interface (eth0) MAC as the ARP entry in the PC.
For every ARP request i see two responses one with WAN interface MAC and 
one with LAN interface MAC.

I observed this is happening because, both the interfaces are receiving the 
ARP broadcast request from the PC and sending up the stack to ARP module 
and which responds with the corresponding interface MAC upon which it 
received the packet.

My requirement is to make ARP module not to respond for the packet received 
on WAN interface (eth1) with requested IP as LAN interface (eth0) IP.

Will the arp_filter () in net/ipv4/arp.c can do this ?
Also is there any draw back by doing so ?

Regards,
--Rajesh

---

From: "Brad Kemp" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 10:45:15 -0400

>-- Original Message --
>Date:	Wed, 15 Sep 2004 10:45:06 +0530
>To:	[email-masked]
>From:	"Rajesh B. V." <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Problem with ARP response
>Cc:	[email-masked]
>
>
>Hi All,
>

>Also is there any draw back by doing so ?

If you disable the arp response from eth1, no traffic will go to it. Is this
really what you want to do? 
You might want to look in to 802.1q VLAN tagging if you want to run to logical
networks on one physical network
Brad

---

From: "Rajesh B. V." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 21:49:18 +0530

>networks on one physical network

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the response.
I got the issue resolved. ARP is handling this kinda scenarios by doing 
arp_filter ().
But to use arp_filter the flag arp_filter should be enabled i.e. keep 1 in 
proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/<interface name>/arp_filter on all the interfaces 
that are put in same switch/hub.

Regards,
--Rajesh