Subject: PCI VGA card info

From: Keath Milligan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:54:04 -0500

Does anyone have (recent) links or info on getting standard VGA cards to 
work with Linux/MIPS?

I'm working with an Alchemy DBAu1550 eval board and I'd like to get VGA 
going on it somehow. The only 3.3V PCI card I have been able to find is 
an old NVidia Riva. As I understand it, some VGA cards rely on the PC 
BIOS to be initialized, but there was some work being done to emulate 
that. All of the links I've found so far on this list and other places 
no longer work.

Thanks

-- 
Keath Milligan
Austin, Texas
http://keathmilligan.net - News, Tech, Politics, Software

---

From: Dan Malek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 12:24:14 -0400

On Sep 16, 2004, at 11:54 AM, Keath Milligan wrote:

> Does anyone have (recent) links or info on getting standard VGA cards 
> to work with Linux/MIPS?

The AMD/Alchemy folks have a Silicon Motion video adapter that will
work in that board.  I've done the framebuffer, X-Windows runs on it.
The standard video cards are nearly impossible to use in any kind of
embedded environment.  Nothing PCI is available anymore, and even
if you are able to find a way to initialize the controllers, they are 
obsolete
before you get any product ready for manufacturing.

	-- Dan

---

From: Keath Milligan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 11:37:20 -0500

> before you get any product ready for manufacturing.

I have this card but it doesn't seem to work with a 2.6 kernel. I'm 
trying to just get a console visible on it at this point, but the card 
doesn't seem to be getting turned on.

---

From: Pete Popov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:45:16 -0700 (PDT)

> I have this card but it doesn't seem to work with a
> 2.6 kernel. I'm trying to just get a console visible

> on it at this point, but the card doesn't seem to 
> be getting turned on.

Did you apply the 36 bit patch from my directory? 2.6
does not yet have the 36bit address support integrated
in the tree. However, the patch in my directory is not
complete yet so ioremap would work, but
io_remap_page_range which is what the vga driver would
call would not work. I have a complete patch that
we're reviewing some more before I send it to Ralf.
Note that without the 36 bit support, none of the pci
cards will work.

Pete

---

From: Ralf Rosch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 18:53:20 +0200

I have running an Millennium G450 with an TX4937 processor.
This PCI card is running frame buffer and X-Windows.
Currently I use the card with Debian (unstable).
The card I have purchased for ?99,-- and can be obtained from
several distributors, for example: www.alternate.de

  --
  Ralf

---

From: Dan Malek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 13:00:07 -0400

> doesn't seem to be getting turned on.

Well, I've been told I'm good at turning things on :-)
Yes, it's on my list of things to update for 2.6, just haven't gotten
there yet.

	-- Dan

---

From: Wolfgang Denk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 01:22:40 +0200

> if you are able to find a way to initialize the controllers, they are 

The Fujitsu Coral-P is running fine on MIPS systems, for  example  on
the XXS3HC Device, see
http://www.mycable.de/productsshow.php?content=products&lang=en&topic=xxs3hc

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

-- 
Software Engineering:  Embedded and Realtime Systems,  Embedded Linux
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: [email-masked]
Shakespeare's Law of Prototyping: (Hamlet III, iv, 156-160)
        O, throw away the worser part of it,
        And live the purer with the other half.

---

From: Pete Popov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 17:43:57 -0700 (PDT)

> The Fujitsu Coral-P is running fine on MIPS systems,
> for  example  on the XXS3HC Device, see

>http://www.mycable.de/productsshow.php?content=products&lang=en&topic=xxs3hc

V2.4 kernel though, I'm pretty sure. 

Pete

---

From: Wolfgang Denk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:05:27 +0200

> V2.4 kernel though, I'm pretty sure. 

Indeed.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

-- 
Software Engineering:  Embedded and Realtime Systems,  Embedded Linux
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: [email-masked]
"Love your country but never trust its government."
- from a hand-painted road sign in central Pennsylvania