Subject: Re: Au1000 AC97 ALSA Driver

From: Charles Eidsness <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 15:09:10 -0400

I've been testing this driver for a while now and I think I've worked 
out most of the bugs.

If any one's interested they can find the source code here:
http://members.rogers.com/charles.eidsness/au1000.c

A patch that adds the code plus edits the KConfig Makefiles here:
http://members.rogers.com/charles.eidsness/au1000_alsa.patch

To compile it as a module you'll probably need this little patch to the 
au1000's dma.c.
http://members.rogers.com/charles.eidsness/au1000_dma_module.patch

In order for this driver to work you'll of course need the ALSA drivers 
as well so it will only work on kernel 2.6+, unless you add them to 
pre-2.6. I also recommend updating the ALSA drivers that come with the 
kernel from 1.0.4 to the latest, all of my testing was performed using 
ALSA drivers 1.0.5a, but it will probably run fine on 1.0.4.

In order to use most of the ALSA applications out there you will also 
need an alsa.conf somewhere. You'll need to "export 
ALSA_CONFIG_PATH=/....../alsa.conf" sometime too so all your apps know 
where to find your alsa.conf file, like during boot (in .profile for 
example). Here's the alsa.conf file I've been using.
http://members.rogers.com/charles.eidsness/alsa.conf

Cheers,
Charles

Pete Popov wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-06-12 at 09:30, Charles Eidsness wrote:
> 
>>I've been working on an ALSA driver for the Au1000 processor AC'97 port. 
>>Specifically for the DBAu1000 Merlot eval card. It seems to be working 
>>in OSS emulation mode, I'm having a few problems setting up my system to 
>>work in ALSA native mode, and it contains only a minimum of features. 
>>i.e. it's still a work in progress, but I thought there may be someone 
>>else out there interested in it.
>>
>>I've posted a patch that should add a mips sub-directory in the sound 
>>directory of the 2.6.6 kernel and add an au1000 sound option to the 
>>kernel configuration menu here: 
>>http://members.rogers.com/charles.eidsness/au1000_alsa.patch
>>
>>Alternately you can find just the source code here:
>>http://members.rogers.com/charles.eidsness/au1000.c
> 
> 
> Great -- let me know when the driver is ready to be checked in :)
> 
> Pete
> 
> 
>

---

From: Pete Popov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 13:16:01 -0700

Charles,

Awesome, thanks -- I'll take a look at it later. I was going to do this 
work soon so ... thanks :)

Pete

Charles Eidsness wrote:

> To compile it as a module you'll probably need this little patch to 
> the au1000's dma.c.
> In order for this driver to work you'll of course need the ALSA 
> drivers as well so it will only work on kernel 2.6+, unless you add 
> them to pre-2.6. I also recommend updating the ALSA drivers that come 
> with the kernel from 1.0.4 to the latest, all of my testing was 
> performed using ALSA drivers 1.0.5a, but it will probably run fine on 
> 1.0.4.
>
>>> I've been working on an ALSA driver for the Au1000 processor AC'97 
>>> port. Specifically for the DBAu1000 Merlot eval card. It seems to be 
>>> working in OSS emulation mode, I'm having a few problems setting up 
>>> my system to work in ALSA native mode, and it contains only a 
>>> minimum of features. i.e. it's still a work in progress, but I 
>>> thought there may be someone else out there interested in it.
>>>
>>> I've posted a patch that should add a mips sub-directory in the 
>>> sound directory of the 2.6.6 kernel and add an au1000 sound option 
>>> to the kernel configuration menu here: