Subject: Missing include/asm-mips/reg.h ?

From: Thomas Petazzoni <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 18:49:03 +0200

Hello,

While trying to compile uClibc, I get an error concerning Linux kernel
headers. The file include/asm-mips/user.h includes the file asm/reg.h,
but the file include/asm-mips/reg.h doesn't exist. So the EF_SIZE symbol
required by the definition of the user structure is not declared.

I checked the linux-mips CVS but couldn't find this file.

How should I proceed ?

Thanks,

Thomas
-- 
PETAZZONI Thomas - [email-masked] 
http://thomas.enix.org - Jabber: [email-masked]
KOS: http://kos.enix.org/ - Lolut: http://lolut.utbm.info
Fingerprint : 0BE1 4CF3 CEA4 AC9D CC6E  1624 F653 CB30 98D3 F7A7

---

From: Thiemo Seufer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 21:00:42 +0200

> I checked the linux-mips CVS but couldn't find this file.

Use configured headers. reg.h starts with:

#ifndef _ASM_REG_H
#define _ASM_REG_H
/*
 * DO NOT MODIFY.
 *
 * This file was generated by arch/mips/Makefile
 *
 */

Thiemo

---

From: Thomas Petazzoni <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 09:04:48 +0200

Hello,

> I checked the linux-mips CVS but couldn't find this file.

I exchanged a couple of mails with Thiemo Seufer who tried to help solve
this problem. It appears that include/asm-mips/reg.h is automatically
generated at compile time, by the arch/mips/Makefile (prepare target).
(I use a 2.6.x kernel).

In fact, I'm trying to generate a cross-compilation chain for MIPS
(using Dan Kegel's crosstools). So, I need the kernel headers, but I'm
not able to compile the kernel since I'm generating the cross-compiler
itself.

When I try to generate the 'prepare' target in the main directory of
the kernel source tree, it starts compiling files in scripts/ using the
MIPS compiler (which isn't available at this time).

How can I generate this include/asm-mips/reg.h file (and possibly other
automatically generated includes) without starting kernel compilation ?
Of course, I provide a .config file to the kernel.

Thanks,

Thomas