Subject: Recommended gcc/binutils Versions for mips64 target?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 09:50:45 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

I'm currently trying to cross-compile a kernel (2.6.10-pre3 from cvs with
the IP30 patch from Stanislaw) for my Octane (IP30) on Linux/amd64.

What versions of gcc and binutils are currently recommended
for crosscompiling? The target should simply be mips64-linux if I read the
Makefile correctly? This has caused problems as my binutils version
2.15.92.0.2 configured with mips64-linux didn't produce a linker that was
capable of using elf64btsmip, mips64-linux-gnu did work.

I'm also a bit confused as to why IP30 support is located in the arch/mips/
hierarchy and not arch/mips64/. IIRC, the Octane definitely needs a 64 bit
kernel to boot?

regards,
    Michael

---

From: Thiemo Seufer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 10:54:43 +0100

> capable of using elf64btsmip, mips64-linux-gnu did work.

Unless 2.15.92.0.2 deviates significantly from the GNU version, both
mips64-linux and mips64-linux-gnu should have the same capabilities.

> hierarchy and not arch/mips64/. IIRC, the Octane definitely needs a 64 bit

arch/mips64 doesn't exist an more for 2.6, the 64bit support was moved
to arch/mips.

Thiemo