Subject: Call for papers embedded track Fosdem 2005 (26-27 feb, Brussels)

From: Peter 'p2' De Schrijver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 23:36:03 +0100

Hello all,

At the start of next year FOSDEM, the most important Belgian Free
Software event will be back again. As on the previous occasions there
will also be an embedded track, for which we are looking for speakers.
All the necessary info can be found in the following call for papers.
Feel free to distribute, and tell other people about it.

3th EMBEDDED SYSTEMS and OPERATING SYSTEMS track at FOSDEM 2005
===============================================================
 
26 - 27 February 2005, Brussels

Call for papers
----------------

The 2005 edition of FOSDEM (Free and Open Source Developers' European
Meeting; http://www.fosdem.org) will take place in Brussels, Belgium 
on 26 and 27 February 2005. For the third time, a track on Embedded 
Systems and Operating Systems will be organized. The second edition 
was quite succesful and attracted up to 150 attendants for certain
topics.

For last year's program see: 
http://www.embedded-kernel-track.org/2004/papers.html

The use of Free Software in the infrastructure of embedded systems 
is booming, e.g. by the use of Linux, uClinux, eCos, RedBoot, RTEMS 
and many other Free Software components. More companies are supporting
embedded Free Software each day because of the reliability and cheap
licensing.

Operating system development has always been a very important topic in
Free Software. 
As embedded and real-time systems typically have special OS requirements, 
we organise this Free Embedded and OS development track at FOSDEM.

This track provides a remarkable opportunity to present and
discuss the ongoing work in these areas, and we invite developers to 
present their current projects. Technical topics of the conference 
include but are not limited to :

* OS Development : kernel architecture and implementation, libraries
  (e.g. Linux, BSD, uClinux, uClibc, newlib, ...)

* Practical experiences in implementing Free Software in embedded systems
  (e.g. reverse engineering, porting  to (and adapting of) commercial devices 
  (IPAQ, Linksys WRT54G,...), ...)

* Toolchain and build environment 
  (e.g. crosstool, emdebian, openembedded, PTX dist, packaging, scratchbox, 
   Eclipse, Valgrind,...)

* GUIs for embedded systems
  (Gtk, Qt-(embedded), GPE, Qtopia, UI design with touchscreen, ...)

* Multimedia applications for embedded systems
  (e.g. integer-only decoders, Opieplayer, ... )

* Real-time extensions, nanokernels and hardware virtualization software
  (e.g. RTAI, Adeos, KURT, L4, Qemu, Xen, User Mode Linux, ...)
 
* Hard real-time OS's
  (eCos, RTEMS, ...)

* Open hardware and softcores
  (e.g opencores.org, OpenRISC, LEON, FPGA's, specific design
   restrictions for free systems...)

* Safety and security certifications applied to Free software
  (e.g. security measures in Embedded systems, SSL libraries, ...)

* Free software licenses and embedded systems

Authors are requested to submit their abstracts online to
[email-masked] before january 3th 2005. Notification of receipt 
will be sent within 48 hours. Authors wishing to submit a full
paper (between 6 and 12 A4 pages), can do so in PS or PDF format.

The program committee will evaluate the abstracts and consists of:

* Herman Bruyninckx, Professor at K.U.Leuven, Belgium
* Geert Uytterhoeven, Sony NSCE, Belgium
* Karim Yaghmour, Opersys, Canada
* Peter De Schrijver (p2), Mind, Belgium
* Russell King (RMK), ARM Linux Kernel Engineer, Deep Blue Solutions Ltd

Cheers,

Peter (p2).