Subject: dbAu1550: booting linux from flash

From: Prashant Viswanathan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:56:28 -0800

Hi All,

I have a dbAu1550 board running Linux. The way it works now, I have YAMON
booting the kernel via tftp. The kernel itself mounts the root file system
from NAND flash (JFFS2).

How can I use YAMON to copy the kernel image to flash (so that I don't have
to tftp every time)? And what changes would I have to make to the way I
build the "falsh-resident-kernel" (if any)?

Thank you in advance,
Prashant

---

From: Pete Popov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:10:05 -0800

> build the "falsh-resident-kernel" (if any)?

You can put the kernel in NOR flash, but I don't think yamon 
supports the nand part on the board. Putting the kernel in NOR flash 
is easy, especially if you use the zImage support. You can then use 
yamon to just jump to that flash location and the kernel will 
relocate itself from flash to RAM, decompress itself, and boot.

Pete