Subject: Dealing with RAM not starting at 0x00000000

From: "Nori, Soma Sekhar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 15:06:29 +0530

Hi All,

I am working towards porting 2.6.10 kernel on a mips 4kec based board
which has physical memory starting at 0x14000000.
What is the best way to overcome the "hole" from 0x00000000 to
0x14000000 without incuring a huge memory overhead.
(For exception handling there is 4k of RAM kept at 0x00000000 also - but
I guess linux paging need need not be aware of this small RAM)

Any suggestions/pointers are greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,
Sekhar

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 13:29:43 +0100

> I guess linux paging need need not be aware of this small RAM)

You can set PAGE_OFFSET to 0x94000000.  If you do this you're probably
going to run into a few bugs where PAGE_OFFSET is assumed to be KSEG0,
that is 0x80000000.  Nothing dramatic though.

  Ralf