Subject: on-board USB on malta 4kc and a 2.6 kernel?

From: Guy Streeter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:45:44 -0600

I am trying to verify that on-board USB should work on a malta 4kc
board. There appears to me to be some conflict between it and the
serial ports. I've been asking around and nobody says they have done
it, so I'd like to hear from anyone who has.

Here's what I see:
Using the mips.org CVS HEAD kernel source, and any USB device plugged
in, during bootup there is garbaged output on the console as USB
starts up:

==============================
drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.0:USB HID core driver
NE Risr otolamynghch dde
IPrtg chha blof1buet 4yt
N: gied otolamyblhe 96i 4628yt)
NE Rier otofaly7
                N: gied ocofaly5eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x41E1
input: USB HID v1.10 Keyboard [Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro] on
usb-0000:00:0a.2-2.1
input: USB HID v1.10 Device [Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro] on
usb-0000:00:0a.2-2.1
==============================

Once the serial console gets to a login: prompt, the first character I
type is interpreted as a sysrq key.

If I run "lsusb -v" I will start seeing:

usb 1-2: lsusb timed out on ep0in
usb 1-2: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd lsusb rqt 128 rq 6 len 256 ret -145

The console will again interpret a character as a sysrq key, and the
Ethernet controller starts timing out.

Does this look familiar to anyone?
Has anyone successfully used the on-boards USB on a malta 4kc board?

thanks for your help,
--Guy Streeter