Subject: Kernel compile error - rtc.c

From: "Etienne Bauermeister" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 10:38:47 +0200

I am compiling the linux-2.6.11-rc2-mipscvs-20050130 kernel using a
toolchain I built myself from instructions on this mailing list. The
toolchain consists of binutils-2.13.90.0.10, glibc-2.2.5,
glibc-linuxthreads-2.2.5 and gcc-3.2-7.1 from H.J. Lu with all the
patches like glibc-2.2.5-mips-build-gmon etc. applied. I am compiling
the kernel for the AMD Au1100 (big endian) on an i686 host.  When I do
this though I get the following error message a few minutes into the
compilation process:
 
CC      drivers/char/rtc.o
drivers/char/rtc.c: In function `rtc_init':
drivers/char/rtc.c:955: `r' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/char/rtc.c:955: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only
once
drivers/char/rtc.c:955: for each function it appears in.)
make[2]: *** [drivers/char/rtc.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [drivers/char] Error 2
make: *** [drivers] Error 2
drivers/char/rtc.ot:~/mips/kernel/linux-2.6.11-rc2-mipscvs-20050130]$
 
I understand that the variable 'r' is not declared and this causes the
error, but I don't know where to declare it or am I completely wrong and
something else is at fault?  Please provide some help with this.  
 
A second question relates to some warnings I got earlier in the
compilation process stating that some 'variables' (I assume) are
'deprecated'.  Is this anything to be concerned about?
 
Thanks.
 
Etienne Bauermeister
Design Engineer
OpenFuel (Pty) Ltd
WWW: http://www.openfuel.com

---

From: Ulrich Eckhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 10:24:23 +0100

> drivers/char/rtc.c:955: `r' undeclared (first use in this function)

Just declare it at the top of the function, it was (accidentially) deleted 
during some recent cleanups.

> 'deprecated'.  Is this anything to be concerned about?

Maybe. Impossible to say without more info. 

BTW: you're mailing plain text and HTML...

cheers 

Uli

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 14:23:16 +0100

> drivers/char/rtc.c:955: for each function it appears in.)

Know problem, sorry.

> 'deprecated'.  Is this anything to be concerned about?

It means it's team to update the code to use a newer API before the old,
deprecated one is going to be removed.  Remember, you've been warned :-)

  Ralf

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 14:29:56 +0100

> BTW: you're mailing plain text and HTML...

The list btw is setup to drop HTML-only email.

  Ralf