Subject: Kernel crash on yosemite

From: TheNop <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 23:53:23 +0100

Hi ,

This is my configuration:
~ yosemite board with RM9000 chip revision 1.1
~ BusyBox 1.0
~ Kernel 2.6.8.1

When I try to copy a large file (~ 3,5 Mb) within the NFS file system 
the kernel crashs without any output on the console.
It could be a problem with the titan_ge driver, but I have no idee how 
to solve the problem.

What can I do?

Best regards
TheNop

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 01:30:00 +0000

> It could be a problem with the titan_ge driver, but I have no idee how 

There have been various fixes to the network driver since then so I
recommend you upgrade your kernel.  One problem you're going to encounter
with recent kernels is that they only support the Titan 1.2 part which I
think are the ones in volume production.

  Ralf

---

From: Manish Lachwani <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 17:47:24 -0800

>think are the ones in volume production.
However, adding support for Titan 1.0 and 1.1 in the GE driver should be 
fairly straight forward.

Thanks
Manish Lachwani

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 01:51:55 +0000

> However, adding support for Titan 1.0 and 1.1 in the GE driver should be 

True, the CVS log should provide reasonable information about that.  What
can't be sanely retrofitted is SMP for < 1.2.

  Ralf

---

From: Manish Lachwani <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:02:08 -0800

>can't be sanely retrofitted is SMP for < 1.2.
I completely agree. In any case, I dont think the CVS sources ever 
supported SMP for Titan < 1.2, correct?

Thanks
Manish Lachwani

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 02:33:49 +0000

> supported SMP for Titan < 1.2, correct?

No, that would have either meant taking a heavy performance penalty or
hacking mm in very ugly ways.  And due to the probably low numbers of
the early silicon and the availability of later revisions the reason
for such hacks was low anyway.

  Ralf

---

From: Manish Lachwani <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 19:04:12 -0800

Ralf Baechle wrote:

>hacking mm in very ugly ways.  
>

How would I not know this? After all, I was the one who actually put 
this code together to get SMP to work on Titan 1.0 and 1.1, remember? ;) 
And you are right, there is no reason to put such hacks.

Manish Lachwani

>And due to the probably low numbers of

---

From: TheNop <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 08:20:38 +0100

Hi,

I'm sorry, but all the discussion on this thread did'n help me to solve 
my problem. Since more than a month I'm waitig to get a yosemite board 
with 1.2 version. This still stops my development, when I can't use the 
yosemite with 1.1 version.

In another therad we discuss to create a patch (slowpath) for the titan 
version 1.1. the patch I apply to the the newer kernel sources 
(2.6.11.rc1) but, I have the same problems. So I think the problem could 
be the slowpath thing.

Have anybody an idee how to figure out what could be the problem when I 
make "cp foo foo1" (foo is a lage file ~3,5 Mb)?

Best regards
TheNop

Manish Lachwani wrote:

> this code together to get SMP to work on Titan 1.0 and 1.1, remember? 
> ;) And you are right, there is no reason to put such hacks.
>
> Manish Lachwani
>
>

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 10:54:01 +0000

> make "cp foo foo1" (foo is a lage file ~3,5 Mb)?

A network driver bug in the 2.6 Titan driver which I recently fixes was
that the allocated receive and transmit rings were allocated overlapping
which was causing havoc.

Yosemite w/ Titan 1.1 was suffering from unexplained system freezes for me;
a more recent board with Titan 1.2 is very stable.

  Ralf