Subject: RE: kernel for custom MV64341 board?

From: Brad Larson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:05:19 -0800

Fredrik,

MontaVista completed a 2.4 port to Ocelot-III with RM7900 (or RM7000C) and Discovery-3 (MV64440).  Ocelot-III is ATX form factor while previous Ocelot, Ocelot-C and Ocelot-G were CPCI.  This is probably close to the board you are describing.  Any board dependent changes should have been committed to linux-mips.org by now.

--Brad

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Fredrik
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 5:56 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: kernel for custom MV64341 board?

Howdy,

I'm getting a custom board going: it sports an RM7000 and Marvell
MV64341 system controller (alas, no external UART!).  I've hacked
U-Boot to the point where I can TFTP a kernel image and (start to)
boot it.

So far I've been using an old 2.4 kernel I used for some Ocelot-G
work, just to get past the TFTP-load stage. MY QUESTION IS: What would
be the best kernel version for me to now start customizing for my
board?  Is 2.6 too bleeding-edge, 2.4 too moldy, or what?  Dealing
with the MV64341 will be most of the effort, of course.

The Ocelot boards seem well supported, but there looks to be a lot of
code that would have to change (different system controller, different
memory map--though I'm flexible--a lot of assumptions about the
goodies available on-board, etc.).  This is the first time I'll be
porting the kernel, so it might be more productive for me to start
from a minimalist configuration and add-in what I need.  Enough code
to set up the memory configuration would be a big help.

Suggestions?

/Fredrik

+----------------------------------------------------------------+
|            Fredrik Noon,   Senior Software Engineer            |
|            Hifn, Inc.      www.hifn.com                        |
|            [email-masked]  +1 408 399 3630                     |
|-------------------+--------------------------------------------|
|  pgp key: <http://noon.org/keys/pgpkey.txt> 7840AC55           |
+----------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: Manish Lachwani <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:37:31 -0800 (PST)

Brad,

Just to let you know, Ocelot III is also fully
supported in 2.6. MontaVista has a 2.6 port this board
as well.

Thanks
Manish Lachwani

--- Brad Larson <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Fredrik,
> 
> MontaVista completed a 2.4 port to Ocelot-III with
> RM7900 (or RM7000C) and Discovery-3 (MV64440). 
> Ocelot-III is ATX form factor while previous Ocelot,
> Ocelot-C and Ocelot-G were CPCI.  This is probably
> close to the board you are describing.  Any board
> dependent changes should have been committed to
> linux-mips.org by now.
> 
> --Brad
>

---

From: Fredrik <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:40:50 -0800

Thank you all for the feedback.  It sounds like 2.6 is a safe starting
point: now I just have to learn how paging tables get set up. :o

/Fredrik

---

From: Thomas Petazzoni <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:24:31 +0100

Hello,

> point: now I just have to learn how paging tables get set up. :o

You don't have to worry about paging tables. Support for TLB on R7000 is 
already included in Linux-MIPS, you don't have to do anything about it. 
(At least for the port I did on a RM9000-based platform, I didn't had to 
worry about it).

Read the MIPS porting guide available on the Wiki : 
http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/index.php/Porting, it's really really useful.

Thomas
-- 
PETAZZONI Thomas - [email-masked]
http://thomas.enix.org - Jabber: [email-masked]
KOS: http://kos.enix.org/ - SOS: http://sos.enix.org
Fingerprint : 0BE1 4CF3 CEA4 AC9D CC6E  1624 F653 CB30 98D3 F7A7