Subject: Memory allocation problem with iptables and NAT

From: Josh Green <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:43:56 -0800

I'm not yet sure if this is a problem with the Linux MIPS platform in
particular, but I thought I would probe to see if anyone else has
experienced this.  I'm using an AMD Alchemy db1100 board with a CVS
checkout from a few weeks back of the mips-linux kernel (2.6.11 rc2).

I can insert the ip_tables and iptable_nat modules fine.  But the
following iptables command fails:

# iptables -t nat -F
iptables v1.3.0: can't initialize iptables table `nat': Memory
allocation problem
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

I did an strace and came up with the attached output. Of particular
interest is this call:

old_mmap(NULL, 1651212288, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|
MAP_ANONYMOUS, 0, 0) = -1 ENOMEM (Cannot allocate memory)

Wow, seems something is trying to mmap over 1.6GB of data.  If anyone
has any tips on why this is happening I would appreciate the input.
	Best regards,
	Josh Green