Subject: 64bit compile of tulip driver

From: Jim Gifford <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:01:02 -0800

Under 32bit the tulip driver works fine, but under 64 bit it gives me a 
lot of grief.

First off it continually sends data out the network interface and never 
negotiates is speed and duplex.
Second in the log files all I see is an uninformative message 
0000:00:07.0: tulip_stop_rxtx() failed

Here is all the bootup information differences I can find on the driver
64 bit
Dec 31 16:01:29 lfs tulip0: ***WARNING***: No MII transceiver found!
Dec 31 16:01:29 lfs tulip1: ***WARNING***: No MII transceiver found!
32 bit
Dec 31 16:01:16 lfs tulip0:  MII transceiver #1 config 1000 status 7809 
advertising 01e1
Dec 31 16:01:16 lfs tulip1:  MII transceiver #1 config 1000 status 7809 
advertising 01e1.

Complete boot log
Under a 64 bit compile
Dec 31 16:01:29 lfs Linux Tulip driver version 1.1.13 (May 11, 2002)
Dec 31 16:01:29 lfs PCI: Enabling device 0000:00:07.0 (0045 -> 0047)
Dec 31 16:01:29 lfs tulip0: Old format EEPROM on 'Cobalt Microserver' 
board.  Using substitute media control info.
Dec 31 16:01:29 lfs tulip0:  EEPROM default media type Autosense.
Dec 31 16:01:29 lfs tulip0:  Index #0 - Media MII (#11) described by a 
21142 MII PHY (3) block.
Dec 31 16:01:29 lfs tulip0: ***WARNING***: No MII transceiver found!
Dec 31 16:01:29 lfs eth0: Digital DS21143 Tulip rev 65 at 
ffffffffb0001400, 00:10:E0:00:32:DE, IRQ 19.
Dec 31 16:01:29 lfs PCI: Enabling device 0000:00:0c.0 (0005 -> 0007)
Dec 31 16:01:29 lfs tulip1: Old format EEPROM on 'Cobalt Microserver' 
board.  Using substitute media control info.
Dec 31 16:01:29 lfs tulip1:  EEPROM default media type Autosense.
Dec 31 16:01:29 lfs tulip1:  Index #0 - Media MII (#11) described by a 
21142 MII PHY (3) block.
Dec 31 16:01:29 lfs tulip1: ***WARNING***: No MII transceiver found!
Dec 31 16:01:29 lfs eth1: Digital DS21143 Tulip rev 65 at 
ffffffffb0001480, 00:10:E0:00:32:DF, IRQ 20.
Dec 31 16:01:29 lfs bootlog:  Bringing up the eth0 interface...[  OK  ]
Dec 31 16:01:30 lfs bootlog:  Adding IPv4 address 172.16.0.99 to the 
eth0 interface...[  OK  ]
Dec 31 16:01:31 lfs bootlog:  Setting up default gateway...[  OK  ]
Dec 31 16:01:32 lfs 0000:00:07.0: tulip_stop_rxtx() failed
Dec 31 16:01:38 lfs 0000:00:07.0: tulip_stop_rxtx() failed
Dec 31 16:01:44 lfs 0000:00:07.0: tulip_stop_rxtx() failed
Dec 31 16:01:50 lfs 0000:00:07.0: tulip_stop_rxtx() failed
Dec 31 16:01:56 lfs 0000:00:07.0: tulip_stop_rxtx() failed
Dec 31 16:02:02 lfs 0000:00:07.0: tulip_stop_rxtx() failed
Dec 31 16:02:08 lfs 0000:00:07.0: tulip_stop_rxtx() failed
Dec 31 16:02:12 lfs bootlog:  Setting time via pool.ntp.org...[ FAIL ]

Under 32 bit
Dec 31 16:01:16 lfs Linux Tulip driver version 1.1.13 (May 11, 2002)
Dec 31 16:01:16 lfs PCI: Enabling device 0000:00:07.0 (0045 -> 0047)
Dec 31 16:01:16 lfs tulip0: Old format EEPROM on 'Cobalt Microserver' 
board.  Using substitute media control info.
Dec 31 16:01:16 lfs tulip0:  EEPROM default media type Autosense.
Dec 31 16:01:16 lfs tulip0:  Index #0 - Media MII (#11) described by a 
21142 MII PHY (3) block.
Dec 31 16:01:16 lfs tulip0:  MII transceiver #1 config 1000 status 7809 
advertising 01e1.
Dec 31 16:01:16 lfs eth0: Digital DS21143 Tulip rev 65 at b0001400, 
00:10:E0:00:32:DE, IRQ 19.
Dec 31 16:01:16 lfs tulip1: Old format EEPROM on 'Cobalt Microserver' 
board.  Using substitute media control info.
Dec 31 16:01:16 lfs tulip1:  EEPROM default media type Autosense.
Dec 31 16:01:16 lfs tulip1:  Index #0 - Media MII (#11) described by a 
21142 MII PHY (3) block.
Dec 31 16:01:16 lfs tulip1:  MII transceiver #1 config 1000 status 7809 
advertising 01e1.
Dec 31 16:01:16 lfs eth1: Digital DS21143 Tulip rev 65 at b0001480, 
00:10:E0:00:32:DF, IRQ 20.
Dec 31 16:01:17 lfs bootlog:  Bringing up the eth0 interface...[  OK  ]
Dec 31 16:01:17 lfs bootlog:  Adding IPv4 address 172.16.0.99 to the 
eth0 interface...[  OK  ]
Dec 31 16:01:18 lfs bootlog:  Setting up default gateway...[  OK  ]
Dec 31 16:01:20 lfs eth0: Setting full-duplex based on MII#1 link 
partner capability of 45e1.
Mar 28 08:27:35 lfs bootlog:  Setting time via pool.ntp.org...[  OK  ]
Mar 28 08:27:35 lfs syslog-ng[1457]: STATS: dropped 0

-- 
----
Jim Gifford
[email-masked]

---

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:52:08 +0200

On Tue, 2005-03-29 11:01:02 -0800, Jim Gifford <[email-masked]>
> Dec 31 16:01:16 lfs tulip1:  MII transceiver #1 config 1000 status 7809 

That's all wrongly wrapped around. However, where's the patch?

MfG, JBG

-- 
Jan-Benedict Glaw       [email-masked]    . +49-172-7608481             _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  _ _ O
 fuer einen Freien Staat voll Freier Bürger" | im Internet! |   im Irak!   O O O
ret = do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(NEW_COPYRIGHT_LAW | DRM | TCPA));