Subject: SGI IP32 and 2.6.11

From: Frederic TEMPORELLI <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 18:23:00 +0100

Hello,

I've just been able to start 2.6.11 from my own compilation on IP32.

Can I have some help about following problems/comments ?

1/ It was really difficult because kernel was falling in breakpoint call 
(BUG macro) in free_bootmem_core.
=> I've successfully try to comment this BUG macro in free_bootmem_core 
(bootmem.c)
Of course, I'm thinking this is really sad... but I've a really poor 
knowledge in kernel development...
may someone can explain how to solve such issue in a better way ?
This breakpoint was boring me since 2.6.10...

2/ There's also a problem with ip32-memory.c, which isn't able to detect 
64MB dimm.
Yet, not enough knowledge for processing bankctl (prom_meminit) in the 
nice way for detecting 64MB dimms...
(All memory slots are used on my O2: slots 1 to 6 with 32MB dimms and 
slots 7 & 8 with  64MB dimms) .

Best regards

Frederic TEMPORELLI

---

From: "Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 11:13:58 -0800

There is no such thing as 64M DIMM for O2. Put correct memory into your 
machine and
both of these problems will be solved.

Frederic TEMPORELLI wrote:

> 1/ It was really difficult because kernel was falling in breakpoint 
> call (BUG macro) in free_bootmem_core.
> => I've successfully try to comment this BUG macro in 
> free_bootmem_core (bootmem.c)
> 2/ There's also a problem with ip32-memory.c, which isn't able to 
> detect 64MB dimm.

-- 
Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh
Total Knowledge. CTO
http://www.total-knowledge.com

---

From: Frederic TEMPORELLI - astek <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 21:01:22 +0100

Hello Ilya,

yep, following my mail I just try to rebuild the kernel with more 
drivers and reboot on this kernel failed.
Now, same kernel but without the 64MB dimms, boot on this kernel is 
working fine.

thanks !!!

for information, 64 MB dimms are "transtec" with s/n DRA0SM1 (nothing 
about them on google :-( ).
These dimms where installed on an other IP32 (I just add them in my O2)
and hinv was reporting 320MB with all dimms installed (6*32MB + these 2 
dimms)

Best regards

Frederic

Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh a écrit :

> There is no such thing as 64M DIMM for O2. Put correct memory into 
> your machine and
>> Yet, not enough knowledge for processing bankctl (prom_meminit) in 
>> the nice way for detecting 64MB dimms...