Subject: Re: How to keep uptodate a mips-linux port

From: moreau francis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 09:54:17 +0200 (CEST)

--- Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]> wrote:
> The best approach is to cleanly break out all your
> changes into
> semantical patches and submit them to the prople who
> care about the
> individual files. The MIPS-specific patches go to
> this list.

I already tried this one, and it doens't seem to be
the best one: I sent a patch a couple of months ago
to the list, but I didn't get any answers...so I beg
for Ralf to look at it on IRC, but he seems to have 
not time for it...So now I'm trying to find out a new
approach....
Futhermore, this solution can take several months
before every patches have been submitted and accepted.
During this while I'll need to be synchronised with
CVS tree.

regards,

         Francis

		
__________________________________________________________________
Découvrez le nouveau Yahoo! Mail : 250 Mo d'espace de stockage pour vos mails ! 
Créez votre Yahoo! Mail sur http://fr.mail.yahoo.com/

---

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 10:31:47 +0200

On Fri, 2005-04-01 09:54:17 +0200, moreau francis <[email-masked]>
> not time for it...So now I'm trying to find out a new

Don't expect that sending a patch once always leads to it's prompt
acceptance. Pushing a patch *can* involve resending it multiple times,
over a long period of time. However, if a patch is in acceptable state
(that is, a half-way readable coding style, no superfluous debugging
output, ...), Ralf usually takes it quite fast.

> During this while I'll need to be synchronised with

That isn't all that easy, especially with CVS and especially if you want
to keep patches in nicely separated changesets. With CVS, this
unfortunately involves some manual work, or clever scripting. But SCM
systems are a totally different topic. "quilt" may work for you, though.

(And yes, we all search for the solution[tm] to SCM. RFC 1925 comes to
mind, modified to "Easy to use, technically working and politically
correct: Pick any two (you can't have all three)." )

MfG, JBG

-- 
Jan-Benedict Glaw       [email-masked]    . +49-172-7608481             _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  _ _ O
 fuer einen Freien Staat voll Freier Bürger" | im Internet! |   im Irak!   O O O
ret = do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(NEW_COPYRIGHT_LAW | DRM | TCPA));

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 12:51:55 +0100

> output, ...), Ralf usually takes it quite fast.

Unless he's on vacation and tries to be a happy man by avoiding email
software ;-)

> systems are a totally different topic. "quilt" may work for you, though.

I recommend Quilt which is availalble from Savannah.  It's done a great
job for me in developping and maintaining a bunch of patches independant
of each other.

  Ralf