Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Some questions about kernel tailoring]

From: moreau francis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 09:15:59 +0200 (CEST)

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> 
> Don't re-invent the wheel. Consider using (porting)
> U-Boot.
> 

BTW, do you know how big is U-Boot ?

thanks,

     Francis

		
__________________________________________________________________
Découvrez le nouveau Yahoo! Mail : 250 Mo d'espace de stockage pour vos mails ! 
Créez votre Yahoo! Mail sur http://fr.mail.yahoo.com/

---

From: Wolfgang Denk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 17:47:55 +0200

> BTW, do you know how big is U-Boot ?

Sure :-)

This depends on which features you have on your board  and  configure
into  U-Boot. Typical image sizes are 150...200 kB with most features
enabled (network support including TFTP, DHCP, NFS; hush  shell  with
the  capability  to  run shell scripts; support for IDE, CompactFlash
cards, USB (memory sticks), NAND flash; support  for  DOS,  ext2  and
JFFS2  filesystems;  graphical display on LCD/VGA, splash screen etc.
etc.). The biggest configuration I am  aware  of  at  the  moment  is
280kB; small configurations can be fit in 128 kB; if you really throw
out everything you can get rid of you may even make it fit into 64kB.
As  mentioned  before:  this  depends  on  architecture  and hardware
features that have to be supported.

And referring to the original question:  of  course  U-Boot  supports
booting  of  compressed images (kernel, ramdisk, other) uzing gzip or
gzip2 compression.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

-- 
Software Engineering:  Embedded and Realtime Systems,  Embedded Linux
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: [email-masked]
Respect is a rational process
	-- McCoy, "The Galileo Seven", stardate 2822.3