Subject: Re: your mail

From: "Bryan Althouse" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:15:49 -0400

Hello,

I would like to use a 2.6.x kernel with my Yosemite/HalfDome board.
Somehow, I am unable to compile the kernel.  I have tried the 2.6.10 kernel
trees from ftp.pmc-sierra.com and also the latest 2.6.12 snapshot from
linux-mips.  I am using the 3.3.x cross compile tools from
ftp.pmc-sierra.com .  The 2.4.x kernels from PMC compile fine.

In the case of 2.6.10 from ftp.pmc-sierra.com, my error looks like:
       Make[3]: *** [drivers/char/agp/backend.o] Error 1

In the case of 2.6.12 from linux-mips, my error looks like:
	drivers/net/titan_ge.c1950: error: 'titan_device_remove"  undeclared
here (not in a function)

My compile process is like so:
make mrproper
make xconfig
make oldconfig
make ARCH=mips CROSS_COMPILE=/<tool_path>/mips64-linux-gnu-    vmlinux

Could someone share their .config with me, or make some suggestions?

Thank you,
Bryan

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:02:58 +0100

>        Make[3]: *** [drivers/char/agp/backend.o] Error 1

Configuring AGP support for a MIPS kernel is obviously nonsense.  Disable
CONFIG_AGP.

> 	drivers/net/titan_ge.c1950: error: 'titan_device_remove"  undeclared

Whoops, a bug.  The function indeed doesn't exist even though it should,
will fix that.  You will hit this bug only if compiling the titan driver
as a module, so workaround set CONFIG_TITAN_GE=y.  Which for the typical
titan-based device seems to be the preferable choice anyway.

  Ralf

---

From: "Bryan Althouse" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 09:52:05 -0400

Thanks Ralf, now I can compile the kernel.  But, I don't get any serial
console output when I try to boot it.  Actually, I get a single line that
looks like this:

Loading file: tftp://192.168.2.39/vmlinux (elf)
0x80100000/2288188 + 0x8032ea3c/111372(z) + 4125 syms|

I have found PMC's "yosemite_defconfig" file and I am using it as the
".config". I have tried using CONFIG_PMC_INTERNAL_UART=y and I have also
tried commenting it out.  Either way, I get no console output.

Thanks for the help!
Bryan

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralf Baechle [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 7:03 AM
To: Bryan Althouse
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: your mail

  Ralf

---

From: Manish Lachwani <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 09:08:39 -0700

Do you load the kernel first and then do a "go"? If you load the kernel 
first using the "load" command, then you should come back to the PMON 
prompt where you can type a "go". I was not clear about it from your 
email below.

Thanks
Manish Lachwani

Bryan Althouse wrote:

>>Somehow, I am unable to compile the kernel.  I have tried the 2.6.10
>>    
>>
>kernel
>  
>