Subject: Re: Building GLIBC 2.3.4 on MIPS

From: "Daniel Laird" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:57:44 +0000

I am trying to build glibc-2.3.4 (gcc-3.4.3, binutils-2.15.96) with 
linux-2.6.11.6 on mips.

I am having problems with bits/syscalls.h whereas yours seem to be empty 
mine just does not exist???
Any reason for this?
I have applied your patches but they do not seem to correct this error have 
you seen this.

Its just that when i try to compile busybox i get an error as bits/syscall.h 
is missing and obviously means my cross compiler toolchain is not quite 
correct.

Hope you can help
Daniel Laird

---

From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 17:08:04 +0100 (BST)

> I am trying to build glibc-2.3.4 (gcc-3.4.3, binutils-2.15.96) with

 You may consider glibc 2.3.5.

> I am having problems with bits/syscalls.h whereas yours seem to be empty mine
> just does not exist???

 Can I ask you which package are you specifically referring to?  Perhaps 
you've picked an outdated one.

> I have applied your patches but they do not seem to correct this error have

 There used to be problems with <bits/syscalls.h> generation, which, 
depending on the exact version of Linux headers supplied, could be 
triggered or not.  They are supposed to be fixed in 2.3.5 (credit goes 
to Richard Sandiford).

  Maciej

---

From: "Daniel Laird" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:33:25 +0000

I am using crosstool to help me build!

I have a problem when i compile that it seems to include a file 
sysdeps/mips/mips32/Makefile.  This has the option -mabi=32.  When it does 
the install-headers target in crosstool it passes this flag to the host 
compiler.  This causes an error.

I get around this my removing this flag for the install header target and 
then putting it back for the rest of the crosstool script.

this results in a complete toolchain and a 2.6.11.6 kernel which is running 
on my target.

I then try to build busybox1.00 and i get the error
In file included from 
/home/laird/ccm_wa/ipstb/ipstb_laird/ipstb/build/packages/busybox-1.00/libbb/module_syscalls.c:26:
/opt/nxlinux/gcc/gcc-3.4.3-glibc-2.3.4/lib/gcc/mipsel-linux-gnu/3.4.3/../../../../mipsel-linux-gnu/sys-include/sys/syscall.h:39:27: 
bits/syscall.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** 
[/home/laird/ccm_wa/ipstb/ipstb_laird/ipstb/build/packages/busybox-1.00/libbb/module_syscalls.o] 
Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory 
`/home/laird/ccm_wa/ipstb/ipstb_laird/ipstb/build/packages/busybox-1.00'

When i check it is missing.

I am presuming my hack to get the install-headers target may be breaking 
things but how else do i get round this.

Are you guys using crosstool?

Thanks for the help

---

From: "Daniel Laird" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:49:21 +0000

I have tried this with any number of patches you want to name

I can do the following combo
glibc-2.3.2
glibc-linuxthreads-2.3.4
kernel 2.6.11.6
binutils-2.15.96

It all works but glibc-2.3.3, 2.3.4, 2.3.5 all fail.  bits/syscalls.h is not 
even generated.  I do not have the problem where it generated wrongly it 
just does not get made on my system and also the wrong flags are passed to 
the HOST compiler which requires patching.

If anyone ever get glibc-2.3.4 and the rest working let me know (please 
check that bits/syscall.h exists)

cheers
Dan

---

From: Greg Weeks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:01:29 -0400

Daniel Laird wrote:

> It all works but glibc-2.3.3, 2.3.4, 2.3.5 all fail.  bits/syscalls.h 
> is not even generated.  I do not have the problem where it generated 
> wrongly it just does not get made on my system and also the wrong 
> flags are passed to the HOST compiler which requires patching.
>
> If anyone ever get glibc-2.3.4 and the rest working let me know 
> (please check that bits/syscall.h exists)

I've got glibc-2.3.3-200407050320 and gcc-3.4.1-20040715 building here. 
A number of patches of course. I remember the syscall thing was a pain.

Greg Weeks