Subject: [PATCH Cobalt 1/3] fix hang on Qube2700 boot

From: Peter Horton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 14:06:35 +0100

The Qube2700 boot hangs because the old "prom" style console is
unconditionally enabled. Drop the "prom" console code from the build. It
would only be used if no "console=" line was supplied and in that case
the current 8250 code defaults to using ttyS0 at 9600 anyway (assuming a
port exists).

--

Index: linux/arch/mips/cobalt/Makefile
===================================================================
--- linux.orig/arch/mips/cobalt/Makefile	2003-11-13 14:30:45.000000000 +0000
+++ linux/arch/mips/cobalt/Makefile	2005-04-10 13:16:58.000000000 +0100
@@ -2,6 +2,6 @@
 # Makefile for the Cobalt micro systems family specific parts of the kernel
 #
 
-obj-y	 := irq.o int-handler.o reset.o setup.o promcon.o
+obj-y	 := irq.o int-handler.o reset.o setup.o
 
 EXTRA_AFLAGS := $(CFLAGS)

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:27:24 +0100

> the current 8250 code defaults to using ttyS0 at 9600 anyway (assuming a

Ok, applied - but that leaves the unused arch/mips/cobalt/promcon.c around.
Guess it should die as well?

  Ralf

---

From: Peter Horton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:04:02 +0100

>Guess it should die as well?
Yep, probably. It was handy for debugging very early boot, but it's not 
worth cluttering the tree with it.

P.

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:07:33 +0100

> worth cluttering the tree with it.

Theese days it'd probably be a matter of days until one self-proclaimed
code police man's scripts would notice and send a patch ;-)

  Ralf