Subject: Mips 4KEC

From: "Mile Davidovic" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 16:20:53 +0200

Hello all

I tried to port linux 2.6.11-mipscvs-20050313 on MIPS 4KEC processor.

But I faced with some problems.

1. I have question regarding toolchain, I use toolchain which came from
uclibc buildroot
application. Gcc version is 3.4.2, is it ok?

2. I tried to use sde-lite 5.03 toolchain but this toolchain (sde-gcc)
failed to build kernel. 
    Please any comments regarding this issue? 

3. I tried to remove optimization from kernel: 
		ifdef CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE
		CFLAGS		+= -Os
		else
		#CFLAGS		+= -O2
		endif
but kernel failed to compile with next messages:
	init/built-in.o(.init.text+0x216c): In function
`identify_ramdisk_image':
	init/do_mounts_rd.c:92: undefined reference to `ntohl'
	kernel/built-in.o(.text+0xf6f4): In function `put_files_struct':
	include/asm/system.h:270: undefined reference to
`__xchg_u64_unsupported_on_32bit_kernels'
	kernel/built-in.o(.text+0xf708):include/asm/system.h:273: undefined
reference to `__xchg_called_with_bad_pointer'
	kernel/built-in.o(.text+0x13264): In function `wait_task_zombie':
	include/asm/system.h:270: undefined reference to
`__xchg_u64_unsupported_on_32bit_kernels'
	kernel/built-in.o(.text+0x13278):include/asm/system.h:273: undefined
reference to `__xchg_called_with_bad_pointer'
	....
I tried with googling but it seems that nobody faced similar problem? Is it
possible to buidl kernel without optimization?

Best regards Mile

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 15:27:07 +0100

> application. Gcc version is 3.4.2, is it ok?

Yes.

> possible to buidl kernel without optimization?

No.  That's FAQ since 10 years.

  Ralf

---

From: Nigel Stephens <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 17:13:01 +0100

>    Please any comments regarding this issue? 

SDE-lite is a "bare-iron" compiler which isn't very suitable for 
building the Linux kernel. Instead you could try the version of the SDE 
toolchain which has been configured as a Linux compiler, as described 
here http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/index.php/Toolchains#MIPS_SDE

Nigel