Subject: au1200 status

From: "Ruslan V.Pisarev" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 14:22:17 +0300

Hello all

  Dealing with my new DBau1200 board and last 2.6 kernel I found that
there's a few things came into from 2.4 kernel, which is distributed
by AMD with this board. In 2.6 we have no ethernet driver (thanks to
Pete I solved this issue (temporarily?)), furthermore we have no LCD
driver, no sound driver, etc... What status of it? Will these drivers
migrate from 2.4 to 2.6 tree (and how soon?)  Or there's something
different politics?

  Some time ago I saw a old report for some au1* boards usability and
patches for them - maybe I should look for them?

  In addition, somewhere I met the info that such things like MAE,
AES, MTD drivers must be done (by AMD?) in 1st quarter 2005. Anyhow, I
see no any info about them.. Did I missed something?

   ()_()
--( °,° )---[21398845]-[jerry¤wicomtechnologies.com]-
  (") (")                 -<The Bat! 3.0.1.33>- -<17/05/2005 14:05>-

---

From: Pete Popov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 07:59:02 -0700

> migrate from 2.4 to 2.6 tree (and how soon?)  Or there's something

The Au1200 support will from migrate from 2.4 to 2.6 when either someone
funds the effort or someone has time to do it for fun.

> see no any info about them.. Did I missed something?

Perhaps they were talking about 2.4, not 2.6.

Pete

---

From: "Ruslan V.Pisarev" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 10:36:55 +0300

>[In reply to "au1200 status" from Pete Popov <[email-masked]> to Ruslan V.Pisarev <[email-masked]>  17/05/2005 17:59]

PP> The Au1200 support will from migrate from 2.4 to 2.6 when either someone
PP> funds the effort or someone has time to do it for fun.

err .. Even noone has in plans to do it ?

   ()_()
--( ^,^ )---[21398845]- -<The Bat! 3.0.1.33>- -<20/05/2005 10:33>-
  (") (")

---

From: "Ruslan V.Pisarev" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 12:20:59 +0300

A few thoughts in addition.. At my point of view, au1200 support is
a big mess now. Some companies (AMD, Montawisra, etc) released their
kernels which are not fully synch-ed nor with 2.4 tree at linux-mips
nor with 2.6 one nor with each other. Therefore we forced to "sit and
stay" on one of these old and undeveloped projects (especially most of
them are commercial product (I think even if we'll need a good stable
commercial product - we buy windows :)) or do the same job - make this
all creepy stuff to work on last released kernel. (which will be
replaced after some months with analoguis but better one from amd,
mwista, mr.Jones, mrs.Addams, etc..)
  Have you any ideas about this?

   ()_()
--( ^,^ )---[21398845]- -<The Bat! 3.0.1.33>- -<20/05/2005 11:42>-
  (") (")

---

From: Dan Malek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 10:37:43 -0400

>   Have you any ideas about this?

You can do what the rest of us have been doing for years.
If you don't like it, take the time to fix it and submit the updates.
Although it is nice to get this for free and some people actually
get paid to work on it, some of us have spent countless hours
of our own time providing what you see today.  Step up and
help or stop complaining.

If you have actually paid for software from one of the
commercial vendors you mentioned, work with their support
staff to get your problems resolved.

Thanks.

	-- Dan