Subject: Compiling uClibc with MIPS SDE6

From: "colin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 17:16:23 +0800

Hi there,
I encounter a problem when compiling uClibc with SDE6. If compiling with
debug information enabled, the output executable file of busybox is about
the same with the one that is compiled with SDE5, but uClibc libraries are
over 10 times the size of the ones that are compiled with SDE5. I am
wondering if it is because GCC 3.4.4 of SDE6 has changed some parameters
setting?

Regards,
Colin

---

From: Nigel Stephens <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 12:12:26 +0100

>wondering if it is because GCC 3.4.4 of SDE6 has changed some parameters

SDE 6 uses Dwarf-2 debug data, whereas SDE 5 used Stabs. That may
explain the difference.

Nigel

-- 
                         Nigel Stephens         Mailto:[email-masked]
    _    _ ____  ___     MIPS Technologies      Phone.: +44 1223 706200
    |\  /|||___)(___     The Fruit Farm         Direct: +44 1223 706207
    | \/ |||    ____)    Ely Road, Chittering   Fax...: +44 1223 706250
     TECHNOLOGIES UK     Cambridge CB5 9PH      Cell..: +44 7976 686470
                         England                http://www.mips.com

---

From: "colin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 20:09:53 +0800

Hi Nigel,
I had already noticed this difference.
But why the application with debug information is not so big, whereas the
libraries are?
And the SDE 6 document says that using -gstabs flag can make it compile with
STABS debug format.
I replaced -g3 with -gstabs flag when compiling uClibc, but it cannot
compile successfully.

Regards,
Colin