Subject: Preemption patch for 2.4.26 - mips

From: Kishore K <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:57:48 +0600

When I try to compile 2.4.26 kernel with the pre-emption patch from
(http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rml/preempt-kernel/v2.4/)
for malta board based on MIPS 4kc, compilation fails with the
following error.

[kishorek@blrn0092 linux-2.4.26]$ make vmlinux.srec
gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o
scripts/split-include scripts/split-include.c
scripts/split-include include/linux/autoconf.h include/config
mips-linux-gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/home/kishorek/linux-2.4.26/include
-Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing
-fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -I
/home/kishorek/linux-2.4.26/include/asm/gcc -G 0 -mno-abicalls
-fno-pic -pipe  -finline-limit=100000 -mabi=32 -march=mips32 -mips32
-Wa,-32 -Wa,-march=mips32 -Wa,-mips32 -Wa,--trap  
-DKBUILD_BASENAME=main -c -o init/main.o init/main.c
In file included from /home/kishorek/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/fs.h:200,
                 from
/home/kishorek/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/capability.h:17,            
    from /home/kishorek/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/binfmts.h:5,
                 from /home/kishorek/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/sched.h:9,
                 from /home/kishorek/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/mm.h:4,
                 from /home/kishorek/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/slab.h:14,
                 from /home/kishorek/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/proc_fs.h:5,
                 from init/main.c:15:
/home/kishorek/linux-2.4.26/include/asm/semaphore.h: In function
`down_trylock':/home/kishorek/linux-2.4.26/include/asm/semaphore.h:230:
error: `current' undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/kishorek/linux-2.4.26/include/asm/semaphore.h:230: error: (Each
undeclared identifier is reported only once
/home/kishorek/linux-2.4.26/include/asm/semaphore.h:230: error: for
each function it appears in.)
/home/kishorek/linux-2.4.26/include/asm/semaphore.h:243: warning:
implicit declaration of function `preempt_schedule'
/home/kishorek/linux-2.4.26/include/asm/semaphore.h: In function `up':
/home/kishorek/linux-2.4.26/include/asm/semaphore.h:266: error:
`current' undeclared (first use in this function)
In file included from /home/kishorek/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/mm.h:4,
                 from /home/kishorek/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/slab.h:14,
                 from /home/kishorek/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/proc_fs.h:5,
                 from init/main.c:15:
/home/kishorek/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/sched.h: At top level:
/home/kishorek/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/sched.h:152: warning: type
mismatch with previous implicit declaration
/home/kishorek/linux-2.4.26/include/asm/semaphore.h:273: warning:
previous implicit declaration of `preempt_schedule'
/home/kishorek/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/sched.h:152: warning:
`preempt_schedule' was previously implicitly declared to return `int'
In file included from /home/kishorek/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/sched.h:586,
                 from /home/kishorek/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/mm.h:4,
                 from /home/kishorek/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/slab.h:14,
                 from /home/kishorek/linux-2.4.26/include/linux/proc_fs.h:5,
                 from init/main.c:15:
/home/kishorek/linux-2.4.26/include/asm/current.h:15: error: `current'
used prior to declaration
make: *** [init/main.o] Error 1

May I know, if any of you tried the pre-emption patch for 2.4.26 on
mips platform. If so, please let me know the changes to be done or any
other patch needs to be applied.

Here are the details of my toolchain
gcc 3.3.6, binutils: 2.14.90.0.8, uclibc-0.9.27
Kernel configuration file is enclosed along with this mail. 

TIA,
--kishore

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:32:19 +0100

> for malta board based on MIPS 4kc, compilation fails with the

Straight Kernel.org kernels don't work for MIPS nor do the mentioned
patches.

  Ralf

---

From: Herbert Poetzl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 18:00:07 +0200

On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 04:32:19PM +0100, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> Straight Kernel.org kernels don't work for MIPS 

any reason why that is so?
is it planned to make at least 2.6.x work for MIPS?
does it make sense to help there?

TIA,
Herbert

> nor do the mentioned patches.

---

From: Jun Sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:50:47 -0700

You might be interested in an earlier patch I made for 2.4.21 against
MIPS CVS tree.

http://linux.junsun.net/patches/oss.sgi.com/experimental/030304-b.preempt-mips.patch

Jun

---

From: Kishore K <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 20:17:43 +0600

> Straight Kernel.org kernels don't work for MIPS nor do the mentioned
I could bring up the malta board with vanilla linux kernels (2.4.25 -
2.4.31) from kernel.org. Just curious to know, what extra features we
get from linux-mips kernels?

--kishore

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 15:47:59 +0100

> get from linux-mips kernels?

Generally the MIPS code in kernel.org is simply lagging far behind
linux-mips.org and is not tested at all on MIPS.  There are also various
bits in 2.4 that were necessary for some platforms but which for the one
or other reason won't wasn't merged.

  Ralf