Subject: Selection of 2.4.31 from CVS?

From: Krishna B S <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:31:59 +0530

Hi All,

I am looking for building a toolchain based on Linux-MIPS kernel for a
MIPS 4Kc board. When I look at CVS Weekly Snapshots
(http://www.longlandclan.hopto.org/~stuartl/mips-linux/sources/), I
find many versions of 2.4.31 for use.

Which one should I consider for my usage? Is there any thumb rule for
selecting a stable version of 2.4.31 from the CVS? Which CVS tag
should I use for 2.4.31?

Please help.

Regards,
Krishna

---

From: David Daney <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 08:43:01 -0700

I always use the 'linux_2_4' tag.  It is the HEAD of the 2.4.x kernels. 
  Since 2.4.x has been in deep maintenance mode for quite some time now, 
it is likely that the head of the branch is the best available.

David Daney.

---

From: Stuart Longland <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 23:37:21 +1000

> selecting a stable version of 2.4.31 from the CVS? Which CVS tag

These are all just created on a weekly basis via a cron job on my
server.  Unless there have been CVS commits in the meantime to the
kernel 2.4 branch, then they should be practically identical.

My script is too dumb to realise this, however, and so creates a new
tarball of 2.4.31 each week regardless.  One of these days I'll probably
start pruning out the stale versions there, but for the moment, there's
plenty of space.

I should also point out, that server is hosted on my ADSL connection, so
you won't get wonderful download speeds.  If you can, using rsync or CVS
direct to ftp.linux-mips.org is preferrable over downloading off this
server.  ;-)

-- 
 ____                   _             Stuart Longland (a.k.a Redhatter)
/  _ \   ___    ___  __| |__  __   __ Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs
- (_) \ /   \  ;   \(__   __)/  \ /  \                        Developer
 \    //  O _| / /\ \  | |  | /\ | /\ |
 /   / \   /__| /  \ \ | |  | \/ | \/ |
(___/   \____/|_;  |_| \_/   \__/ \__/ http://dev.gentoo.org/~redhatter