Subject: Linux on the Sharp Mobilion PRO PV5000A?

From: Stuart Longland <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 23:07:27 +1000

Hi All,

I've recently acquired a new toy, a Sharp PDA.  From what I've read on
the NetBSD/hpcmips website, and other places, it's based around a
Toshiba TX3922 129MHz CPU and has 32MB RAM.

I've done some research, and it looks like this machine may, be a cousin
of the Philips Velo.  I'm yet to pull mine apart (which I'll have to do
at some point, to fix a dickey power socket), so I can't be sure what
hardware mine has.

Anyway, what I was going to ask, is has anyone tried Linux or NetBSD on
this system?  If someone's already started work on porting, then I'd
like to assist where I can, no point in two of us duplicating efforts :-).

I've put some stuff up on the wiki[1], about what I know on the device.
 I'll possibly look into getting some sort of WinCE/MIPS dev environment
set up, so that I can compile apps to explore the hardware on the
device, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone has attempted a port to
such a device.

Regards,
-- 
 ____                   _             Stuart Longland (a.k.a Redhatter)
/  _ \   ___    ___  __| |__  __   __ Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs
- (_) \ /   \  ;   \(__   __)/  \ /  \                        Developer
 \    //  O _| / /\ \  | |  | /\ | /\ |
 /   / \   /__| /  \ \ | |  | \/ | \/ |
(___/   \____/|_;  |_| \_/   \__/ \__/ http://dev.gentoo.org/~redhatter

Footnotes:
1. http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/Sharp_Mobilion_Pro_PV5000A

---

From: Yoichi Yuasa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 22:59:11 +0900

Hi,

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 23:07:27 +1000

> Toshiba TX3922 129MHz CPU and has 32MB RAM.

This is old information about TX3922.

http://www.sikigami.com/~fuku/linux-telios/index-en.html

I don't know that Telios and PV5000A are the same.

> device, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone has attempted a port to

Yoichi

---

From: Martin Michlmayr <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 11:31:23 +0100

> I don't know that Telios and PV5000A are the same.

I'm fairly sure they aren't.  If I remember correctly, the companion
chip PLUM2 was only used in the Telios.
-- 
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/

---

From: Stuart Longland <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 22:43:13 +1000

> chip PLUM2 was only used in the Telios.

Well... I actually pulled mine apart tonight.
http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/Sharp_Mobilion_Pro_PV5000A#A_look_inside

My primary objective was to fix a wobbly power socket... but I also took
the time to take snaps of the board & its chips.  In putting the unit
back together again though, it seems I now have some spare screws...
oddly enough, WinCE seems to boot & run ever so slightly faster.

You could say I've made it more efficient by removing parts -- but I
don't think screws count :-)

I'll have to google some of the ICs... I actually thought this would be
using the Philips Poseidon SoC, but no, there's not a single chip with
"Philips" written on it anywhere.  It's mostly Toshiba circuitry -- one
will be responsible for I/O, I know that much. :-)