Subject: netconsole support on Cobalt systems... Anyone tried it?

From: Stuart Longland <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 22:51:39 +1000

Hi All,

I've been tinkering with my Qube2 tonight, seeing if I can get
netconsole running.  I'd like to get this running for two reasons:

(1) I've only got one null-modem cable, which usually is plugged into my
Indigo2 Impact -- I'd like to leave it where it is if possible.
(2) I'd like to improve support for the Qube 2700, which lacks such
interfaces.

I've looked around on the web, but haven't found a great deal of
material that explains how one uses it.  The best resource thus far has
been the linux/documentation/network/netconsole.txt file, as well as a
crash dump[1] from an AMD64, which shows netconsole in action.

I tried booting with `netconsole=[email-masked]/eth0,[email-masked]/` on
the kernel command line, without success.  The system continues to
boot[2], but only outputting to the serial console.

Has anyone here, tried using netconsole on Cobalt hardware?  Has anybody
played with netconsole on _any_ hardware?

Regards,
-- 
 ____                   _             Stuart Longland (a.k.a Redhatter)
/  _ \   ___    ___  __| |__  __   __ Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs
- (_) \ /   \  ;   \(__   __)/  \ /  \                        Developer
 \    //  O _| / /\ \  | |  | /\ | /\ |
 /   / \   /__| /  \ \ | |  | \/ | \/ |
(___/   \____/|_;  |_| \_/   \__/ \__/ http://dev.gentoo.org/~redhatter

Footnotes,
1. http://mjt.nysv.org/kernelbugfest/netconsole_panic_2.6.12.2

2. I was using my WinCE/MIPS-based[3] PDA, which happens to have a
crippled version of "HyperTerminal".  Unfortunately, it lacks any
ability to capture the text... but otherwise, turns my PDA into a very
convenient portable VT100. :-)

3. I'd like to get Linux working on this thing sometime... see my next
post, which I'll write in a moment. :-)

---

From: "Alexander Voropay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 19:42:57 +0400

>played with netconsole on _any_ hardware?

 Contains an example of udp-console :
http://www.linux.it/~rubini/docs/sercons/sercons.html

--
-=AV=-

---

From: Wolfgang Denk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 19:13:22 +0200

> netconsole running.  I'd like to get this running for two reasons:
...
> material that explains how one uses it.  The best resource thus far has

See "doc/README.NetConsole" in the U-Boot source tree  (ok,  this  is
more  about  U-Boot's implementation but it also contains a few hints
about the Linux part).

> played with netconsole on _any_ hardware?

We use netconsole  for  Linux  in  several  projects  (all  PowerPC),
usually in combination with netconsole in U-Boot.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

-- 
Software Engineering:  Embedded and Realtime Systems,  Embedded Linux
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: [email-masked]
The rule on staying alive as a program manager is to give 'em a  num-
ber or give 'em a date, but never give 'em both at once.