Subject: RE: Location of MIPS KDB Patch?

From: Don Hiatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 09:07:49 -0700

I know it is bad etiquette to reply to your own message, but... :)

I just got an email from Sergey and he was referring to KGDB. So
the mystery remains, has anyone already ported KDB? And if not, is
it worth it when compared to KGDB (I haven't used either)?

Cheers,

don

-----Original Message-----
From: Don Hiatt 
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2005 8:39 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Location of MIPS KDB Patch? 

Howdy,

 I've included the response (hope Keith doesn't mind) I got about
the MIPS patch for KDB. Is there in fact a MIPS patch for KDB? According
to Sergey there is:

(http://www.linux-mips.org/archives/linux-mips/2005-08/msg00117.html)
>It works fine, I'm using it on NEC VR5701

>Best wishes,
>Sergey Podstavin.

On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 18:00 -0700, Knittel, Brian wrote:
> There are a couple of references to KDB in the archive, but nothing recent. 
> What is the state of KDB on MIPS?
>  
> Thanks,
> --Brian
> 
> 

Cheers,

don

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Owens [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2005 5:01 PM
To: Don Hiatt
Cc: [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: Location of MIPS KDB Patch? 

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:57:19 -0700, 
Don Hiatt <[email-masked]> wrote:
>  I was wondering where I could find the MIPS specific patch for
>KDB for 2.4.25? I've found the common-portions on the FTP site but
>seem to be missing the MIPS part. Sorry if this is detailed somewhere
>which I have likely overlooked. ;)

KDB has never been supported on MIPS.  Over the years several people
with MIPS hardware have said that they would have a go at it, but
nobody ever sent any patches.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 12:53:52 -0500 (CDT)

> it worth it when compared to KGDB (I haven't used either)?
Use printk or a hardware debugger. Software kernel debuggers almost
never work and they're always buggy. The guys who did KGDB for MIPS
did a great job, but it looks like it's hard to keep that code up
to date and working with kernel changes and newer versions of gdb.
At least that's been my experience. In-kernel debuggers is like
saying "Physician heal thyself." or asking yourself to be objective.

-Steve