Subject: Linux-2.6.12 code base for linux-mips

From: "Sathesh Babu Edara" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 21:06:16 +0530

Hi,
 - I would like to know the code base for  linux-2.6.12 (linux_2_6_12 tag)
in the CVS repository is same as the one in the git repository
archive(linux-2.6.12). 

 - I am new to GIT.In order   to checkout linux-2.6.12 tag from git
repository I followed the  commands given in the
http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/Git web site

- It is hanging while cloning the repository using the below command  
    # git clone rsync://ftp.linux-mips.org/git/linux.git linux.git
- Then i used http:// instead of rsync:// in the above command and it is
working fine.
 
In the "Status of CVS to GIT conversion " section, there is no information
on linux-2.6.12 tag/branch.If I want to checkout linux-2.6.12 tag from GIT
repository what command  I should use after cloning the git repository.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sathesh

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 19:26:24 +0000

> in the CVS repository is same as the one in the git repository

It should be; the tags in the git archive were automatically generated,
not converted fromt he CVS archive.

> - Then i used http:// instead of rsync:// in the above command and it is

We told you before - you're behind a firewall and can't use rsync.  Unless
you have an argument with your firewall admin and those are usually a
rather stuborn kind of character when it comes to that kind of changes :)

> repository what command  I should use after cloning the git repository.

I certainly won't list each of the hundreds of individual tags on that
page; no point in that.  ANyway, after the clone finished, do:

git-read-tree -m $(cat .git/refs/tags/linux-2.6.12)
git-checkout-index -f -a -u -q

Git developers didn't make that too easy; the git-checkout command doesn't
accept a tag as it's argument, so git-checkout linux-2.6.12 doesn't work.

  Ralf