Subject: SOT: Looking for Free Software developers willing to give a talk at the Fosdem embedded devroom

From: Philippe De Swert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 20:21:56 +0200

Hello all,

I hope you will all forgive me for posting this slightly off-topic
request.

In february it will be time for another embedded track at Fosdem
(www.fosdem.org) and to fill this we are looking for people willing to
present their embedded projects or talk about their experiences. Before
you all flame me (preferably off-list) know that Fosdem is non-profit
and organized for and by the community. See it as a chance to present
the work done by the embedded (and MIPS in this case) community.

Thanks,

Philippe

PS: Call for papers with more info for the ones that are interested.

CALL FOR PAPERS for the 4th EMBEDDED track at FOSDEM 2005
==========================================================

sat 25 - sun 26 February 2006, Brussels

Call for papers
----------------

The 2006 edition of FOSDEM (Free and Open Source Developers' European
Meeting; http://www.fosdem.org) will take place in Brussels, Belgium 
on 25 and 26 February 2006. For the fourth time, a track on Embedded 
Systems and Operating Systems will be organized. The third edition 
was quite succesful and attracted up to 150 attendants for certain
topics.

For last years program see:
http://www.embedded-kernel-track.org/2005/papers.html

The use of Free Software in the infrastructure of Embedded Systems 
is booming, e.g. by the use of Linux, uClinux, eCos, RedBoot, RTEMS 
and many other Free Software components. More companies are supporting
Embedded Free Software each day because of the reliability and cheap
licensing. This can be confirmed from looking at some high profile
releases of embedded GNU/Linux systems. Some examples are the Nokia 770,
some models of Motorola's smartphones, Archos players and the move from
palmsource to build on a Linux subsystem

Operating System development has always been a very important topic in
Free Software.
As embedded and real-time systems typically have special OS
requirements, we organise this Free Embedded and OS development track at
FOSDEM to give people the opportunity to present their (or their teams)
achievements.

This track at FOSDEM provides a remarkable opportunity to present and
discuss the ongoing work in these areas, and we invite developers to 
present their current projects. Technical topics of the conference 
include but are not limited to :

* OS Development : kernel architecture and implementation, libraries
  (e.g. Linux, BSD, uClinux, uClibc, newlib, ...)

* Practical experiences in implementing Free Software in embedded
systems  (e.g. reverse engineering, porting  too (and adapting of)
commercial devices like the Ipaq, linksys WRT54G, nlsu2 .... )

* Toolchain, performance testing and build environment 
  (e.g. crosstool, emdebian, openembedded, PTX dist, packaging,
scratchbox, Eclipse, Valgrind,...)

* GUI's for embedded systems
  (Gtk, Qt-(embedded), GPE, Qtopia, UI design with touchscreen, ...)

* Multimedia applications for embedded systems
  (e.g. integer only decoders, Opieplayer, gstreamer... )

* Real-time extensions, nanokernels and hardware virtualization software
  (e.g. RTAI, Adeos, KURT, L4, Qemu, User Mode Linux, ...)
 
* Hard real-time OS's
  (eCos, RTEMS, ...)

* Open hardware, DSP, softcores and general hardware management
  (e.g opencores.org, OpenRISC, leonSparc, FPGA's, specific design
restrictions for free systems, DSP, Power management...)

* Safety and security certifications applied to Free software
   (e.g. security measures in Embedded systems, SSL libraries, ...)

* Free software licenses and embedded systems

Authors that wish to present a topic are requested to submit their
abstracts online to [email-masked] before 31/12/2005. Notification
of receipt will be sent within 48 hours. Authors wishing to submit a
full paper (between 6 and 12 A4 pages), can do so in PS or PDF format.

The Program Committee will evaluate the abstracts and consists of:

* Geert Uytterhoeven, Sony NSCE, Belgium
* Peter De Schrijver (p2), Mind, Belgium
* Philippe De Swert, Nokia (OSSO), Finland

-- 
 
| Philippe De Swert       
|      
| GPE developer: http://gpe.handhelds.org
| Emdebian developer: http://www.emdebian.org  
|   
| Please do not send me documents in a closed
| format.(*.doc,*.xls,*.ppt)    
| Use the open alternatives. (*.pdf,*.ps,*.html,*.txt)    
| http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html