Subject: SGI IP28 Kernels... anyone had any luck lately?

From: Stuart Longland <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 00:39:40 +1000

Hi all,
	I'm not sure what's causing this error, could very well be PEBKAC, but
anyways.

	I've been striking issues getting kernels for my IP28 to compile.  So
far, I've tried both the 2.6.14 and 2.6.14-rc2 tags, the IP28 patches[1]
apply successfully, but the subsequent compile fails with these
messages: http://pastebin.com/455158

	Incidentally, the tarball you download containing the patches,
apparently has a README and .config file included.  Well, there's
symlinks to the files, but it seems the actual files themselves got
missed in the archive.  I used the /proc/config.gz from my currently
running kernel (2.6.12-rc2, also works with 2.6.13.4).

	I was hoping to try out Impact support, in console and X, as well as
HAL2 support (which was b0rked last time I tried it).

	Has anyone had any luck, and if so, any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Regards,
-- 
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter)              .'''.
Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs Developer  '.'` :
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   .'.'
http://dev.gentoo.org/~redhatter             :.'

1. http://home.alphastar.de/fuerst/download.html

---

From: peter fuerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 18:22:14 +0100 (CET)

Hi all,

sorry, obviously forgot to "tar" with the "-h" option.  The kernel patch-set
is now repackaged with README and .config (same location).  I wonder, why no
one noticed their missing since Oct 17...
For exactness' sake: the patches are based on linux-2.6.14-rc2-mipscvs-20050925
Maybe .config will enable compiling, the error-messages seem to point
to a misconfiguration, since the compiler didn't touch any of the patched
files yet.

There's still a problem with the Xserver: often, when starting up the Xserver
first after a cold boot, it likes to hang (in a loop, waiting for "dmabusy"
to settle down, either in the kernel-driver or the Xserver itself, when
re-mmapping the dma-buffer). Usually, after a reset the Xserver works okay.
I couldn't find a solution for this yet, but otherwise (;-) i easily (can) use
the machine for regular work (no more hangs after the Xserver started up once).

kind regards

pf

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005, Stuart Longland wrote:

> Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 00:39:40 +1000
> From: Stuart Longland <[email-masked]>
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: SGI IP28 Kernels... anyone had any luck lately?
> 
> Hi all,

---

From: Stuart Longland <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 21:50:36 +1000

Hi,

> one noticed their missing since Oct 17...

Heh, I wondered that myself... Anyways, it's fixed now. :-)

> to a misconfiguration, since the compiler didn't touch any of the patched

I did try using the linux-2.6.14-rc2 tag out of git (repository as of
20051204; I didn't bother going to bleeding edge), but found I got the
same errors.

The problems disappeared, however, when I tried 2.6.14-rc1... this seems
to work just fine.

> indigo ~ # uname -a
> Linux indigo 2.6.14-rc1-ip28 #4 Sat Dec 10 18:26:46 EST 2005 mips64 R10000 V2.5  FPU V0.0 SGI Indigo2 GNU/Linux
> indigo ~ # uptime
>  21:49:13 up  3:21,  3 users,  load average: 2.63, 1.38, 0.71

The only glitch I've hit so far, is that booting via the local
framebuffer (okay, I know it isn't a true "framebuffer") causes a fatal
oops.  However, if I specify console=ttyS0,9600, I see a flashing cursor
on the framebuffer, and the bootup proceeds to completion on the serial
console.  Which is good news... it wasn't long ago when I recall merely
sneezing in front of the machine was enough to send it spiralling into a
fatal oops.

> the machine for regular work (no more hangs after the Xserver started up once).

As I say... this Linux port has really bounded ahead in the time I've
had this IP28 of mine... considering the hardware issues that have to be
worked around. :-)

X is my next step... for the moment though, I'm happy to be able to use
a real monitor, and not a serial console. :-)
-- 
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter)              .'''.
Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs Developer  '.'` :
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   .'.'
http://dev.gentoo.org/~redhatter             :.'