Subject: CFP for embedded room at FOSDEM

From: Philippe De Swert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 20:40:15 +0200

Hi,

This might be of interest to developers in the Free Software/Open Source
world. FOSDEM is looking for speakers for the embedded track again.
Anyone who thinks he/she has somebody interesting to share with other
embedded developers please take a look at the call for papers.

Cheers,

Philippe 

CALL FOR PAPERS for the 6th EMBEDDED track at FOSDEM 2008
=========================================================

sat 23 - sun 24 February 2008, Brussels

Call for papers
----------------

The 2008 edition of FOSDEM (Free and Open Source Developers' European
Meeting; http://www.fosdem.org) will take place in Brussels, Belgium
on 23 and 24 February 2008. For the sixth time, a track on Embedded
Systems and Operating Systems will be organized. The fourth edition
was quite succesful and attracted up to 150 attendants for certain
topics.

For last year's program see:
http://archive.fosdem.org/2007/schedule/tracks/embedded

The use of Free Software in the infrastructure of Embedded Systems
is booming, e.g. by the use of Linux, uClinux, eCos, RedBoot, RTEMS
and many other Free Software components. More companies are supporting
Embedded Free Software every day because of the reliability and cheap
licensing. This can be confirmed from looking at some high profile
releases of embedded GNU/Linux systems. Some examples are the Nokia 770
& N800,some models of Motorola's smartphones and Archos media players.
Not to forget the popular TomTom navigation system, the numerous SOHO
routers and NAS devices based on linux.

Operating System development has always been a very important topic in
Free Software.
As embedded and real-time systems typically have special OS
requirements, we organise this Free Embedded and OS development track at
FOSDEM to give people the opportunity to present their (or their teams)
achievements.

This track at FOSDEM provides a remarkable opportunity to present and
discuss the ongoing work in these areas, and we invite developers to
present their current projects. Technical topics of the conference
include but are not limited to :

* OS Development : kernel architecture and implementation, libraries,
power
   management, TIPC, boot time and memory usage optimizations
  (e.g. Linux, BSD, uClinux, uClibc, newlib, slob allocator,...)

* Practical experiences in implementing Free Software in embedded
systems  (e.g. reverse engineering, porting  to (and adapting of)
commercial devices like the Ipaq, linksys WRT54G, nlsu2 .... )

* Toolchain, performance testing and build environment
  (e.g. crosstool, emdebian, openembedded, PTX dist, packaging,
scratchbox, Eclipse, Valgrind,...)

* GUIs for embedded systems
  (Gtk, Qt-(embedded), GPE, Qtopia, UI design with touchscreen,
   Hildon GUI extensions, OpenMoko, OpenGL ES, ...)

* Multimedia applications for embedded systems
  (e.g. integer only decoders, Opieplayer, gstreamer... )

* Real-time extensions, nanokernels and hardware virtualization software
  (e.g. RTAI, Adeos, KURT, L4, Qemu, User Mode Linux, VirtualLogix,
   high resolution timers, ...)

* Hard real-time OS's
  (eCos, RTEMS, Real Time Linux,...)

* Open hardware, DSP, softcores and general hardware management
  (e.g opencores.org, OpenRISC, leonSparc, FPGA's, specific design
restrictions for free systems, DSP, Power management...)

* Safety and security certifications applied to Free software
   (e.g. security measures in Embedded systems, TPM, SELinux
    for embedded, TrustZone, ...)

* Tools and techniques for programming multicore systems

* Free software licenses and embedded systems

Authors that wish to present a topic are requested to submit their
abstracts online to [email-masked] before 23/01/2008. Notification
of receipt will be sent within 48 hours. Authors wishing to submit a
full paper (between 6 and 12 A4 pages), can do so in PS or PDF format.

The Program Committee will evaluate the abstracts and consists of:

* Geert Uytterhoeven, Sony NSCE, Belgium
* Peter De Schrijver (p2), Nokia (OSSO), Finland
* Philippe De Swert, Nokia (OSSO), Finland
* Klaas van Gend, MontaVista Software, The Netherlands
* Michael Opdenacker, Free Electrons, France