Subject: Re: 2.6.24-rc1 does not boot on SGI

From: Giuseppe Sacco <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 12:58:49 +0100

I reply to my own message, providing more details, hoping that anyone
here could give a hint or the solution.

During bootup on ip32, since 2.4.24-rc1, the system loop printing a
message about unexpected interrupt #13. (see transcript below.)

I enabled more debug in the kernel, and studied the code. What I
understood is that interrupt #13 from CRIME means that the system should
check on MACEISA for the real interrupt.

The interrupt start appearing just after executing the code
psmouse_init() that enable ps2 drivers for keyboard and mouse. Keyboard
interrupt #49 is enabled first and mouse interrupt #51 is enabled later.

When initialising the keyboard interrupt (it is a MACEISA interrupt),
the interrupt start appearing, so I am pretty sure that interrupt #13 is
related to the keyboard interrupt.

When the system receive interrupt #13, it correctly detect it is a
MACEISA interrupt, and check for mace->perif.ctrl.istat value. The
problem seems to be that this value is zero instead of having bit #9 on
(that would mean, interrupt #49, keyboard).

So, either the interrupt #49 is not correctly enabled, or maceisa
interrupt aren't correctly checked.

Does this description ring a bell to anyone?

Bye,
Giuseppe

Calling initcall 0xffffffff80496ca0: serport_init+0x0/0x48()
initcall 0xffffffff80496ca0: serport_init+0x0/0x48() returned 0.
initcall 0xffffffff80496ca0 ran for 0 msecs: serport_init+0x0/0x48()
Calling initcall 0xffffffff80496ce8: maceps2_init+0x0/0xe0()
initcall 0xffffffff80496ce8: maceps2_init+0x0/0xe0() returned 0.
initcall 0xffffffff80496ce8 ran for 1 msecs: maceps2_init+0x0/0xe0()
Calling initcall 0xffffffff80496dc8: serio_raw_init+0x0/0x18()
initcall 0xffffffff80496dc8: serio_raw_init+0x0/0x18() returned 0.
initcall 0xffffffff80496dc8 ran for 1 msecs: serio_raw_init+0x0/0x18()
Calling initcall 0xffffffff80496f40: mousedev_init+0x0/0xd0()
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
initcall 0xffffffff80496f40: mousedev_init+0x0/0xd0() returned 0.
initcall 0xffffffff80496f40 ran for 16 msecs: mousedev_init+0x0/0xd0()
Calling initcall 0xffffffff80497010: atkbd_init+0x0/0x18()
initcall 0xffffffff80497010: atkbd_init+0x0/0x18() returned 0.
initcall 0xffffffff80497010 ran for 0 msecs: atkbd_init+0x0/0x18()
Calling initcall 0xffffffff80497028: psmouse_init+0x0/0x90()
maceisa enable: 49
crime_int 00000020 enabled
*irq 13, crime_int=00002000, crime_mask=003003a0, mace_int=00000000*
irq 13, desc: ffffffff80448390, depth: 1, count: 0, unhandled: 0
->handle_irq():  ffffffff80065eb0, handle_bad_irq+0x0/0x2c0
->chip(): ffffffff8043e320, 0xffffffff8043e320
->action(): 0000000000000000
  IRQ_DISABLED set

---

From: Ricardo Mendoza <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 14:05:22 -0400

> ->action(): 0000000000000000

I recommend you pull latest git. Looks like some issue that Ralf and I
fixed a few weeks ago.

     Ricardo

---

From: Giuseppe Sacco <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 06:35:59 +0100

Hi Ricardo,

Il giorno lun, 10/12/2007 alle 14.05 -0400, Ricardo Mendoza ha scritto:
[...]
> I recommend you pull latest git. Looks like some issue that Ralf and I

I am using git (from linux-mips.org) of two or three days ago, but I
will try if anything is changed in the meantime.

Thanks,
Giuseppe

---

From: Giuseppe Sacco <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 12:04:55 +0100

> I recommend you pull latest git. Looks like some issue that Ralf and I

I just checked that my repository is up to date, so my problem is still
there (thus I don't know if it is the same problem you fixed).

BTW, what was the problem you fixed? I would like to have a look to it,
to better understand what's going on there.

Thanks,
Giuseppe

---

From: Ricardo Mendoza <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:26:42 -0400

> to better understand what's going on there.

Well I just updated to see if anything had broken in the past few days,
but I don't seem to be hitting that error of yours. Could you send your
config to see if I can reproduce it?

     Ricardo

---

From: Giuseppe Sacco <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:44:37 +0100

> config to see if I can reproduce it?

Yes, sure: http://eppesuigoccas.homedns.org/~giuseppe/debian/config-2.6.24-rc4-ip32.bz2
but please note that the problem is present in every kernel since 2.6.24-rc1

my boot stanza in arcboot is:

label=test
  image=/boot/vmlinux-2.6.24-rc4-gs1
  append="root=/dev/sda1 ro video=gbefb:1024x768-16@60 debug initcall_debug console=tty0 console=ttyS1,115200"

bye,
Giuseppe

---

From: Ricardo Mendoza <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 13:18:00 -0400

>   append="root=/dev/sda1 ro video=gbefb:1024x768-16@60 debug initcall_debug console=tty0 console=ttyS1,115200"

Ran it without problems, can't get into much detail right now but I the
problem you are seeing is more than likely caused by your other patch to
serial_core.c.

     Ricardo

---

From: Giuseppe Sacco <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 21:07:46 +0100

Hi Ricardo,

> problem you are seeing is more than likely caused by your other patch to

I made a few run, recompiled everything from scratch, without my patch,
but I always had the system loop on IRQ #13 while booting.

Do you test on ip32? SGI O2 R5000@200? I would like to know any difference
between our test environments.

Thanks,
Gisueppe