Subject: (Newport) console problems on IP22

From: Julien BLACHE <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 21:07:02 +0100

Hi,

Martin Michlmayr offered a build of 2.6.29-rc5 for test to
debian-mips, and that kernel is showing console-related issues on my
IP22.

I'm not sure what's going, so here are my observations:
 - the Newport console is not detected anymore
 - getty process stuck

 root      1226 98.7  0.0      0     0 tty1     Rs+  19:48   9:22 [getty]

gettys on tty[2-6] might also be stuck somewhere. Can't strace the
getty on tty1 (operation not permitted) and strace on tty[2-6]
attaches to the process but doesn't print anything and is stuck from
here on. Cannot detach or anything. Processes are of course
unkillable.

 - dmesg fills up with 

 tty_release_dev: tty1: read/write wait queue active!

No keyboard/screen attached, serial console only.

Does that ring any bell wrt recent tty changes? Any idea?

JB.

-- 
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org> 
<[email-masked]>                                  GPG KeyID 0xF5D65169

---

From: Julien BLACHE <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 21:11:08 +0100

> here on. Cannot detach or anything. Processes are of course

Looks like the strace on the getty process on tty2 led to something
hanging to the point my serial console on ttyS0 was hung after that.

But I could still log in via SSH, so the kernel keeps running fine
despite that.

JB.