Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the tty tree

From: Geert Uytterhoeven <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 20:38:11 +0200

Hi Alan, David,

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Alan Cox <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 14:13:45 +1000
> Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> After merging the tty tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64 allmodconfig)
>> failed like this:
>>
>> drivers/char/mwave/mwavedd.c: In function 'register_serial_portandirq':
>> drivers/char/mwave/mwavedd.c:472:2: error: implicit declaration of function 'serial8250_register_port' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
>> cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
>> drivers/misc/ibmasm/uart.c: In function 'ibmasm_register_uart':
>> drivers/misc/ibmasm/uart.c:57:2: error: implicit declaration of function 'serial8250_register_port' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
>> cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
>>
>> Caused by commit 2655a2c76f80 ("8250: use the 8250 register interface not
>> the legacy one").  Grep is your friend.
>
> My fault on that one not GregKH's. I'll wrap that into the updated patch
> series. I thought I had them all but I forgot to grep off in drivers/misc.

Today's build failed because there's a new user in the MIPS tree:
arch/mips/cavium-octeon/serial.c

http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/buildresult/6739341/

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [email-masked]

In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But
when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that.
                                -- Linus Torvalds

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 21:55:16 +0100

> http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/buildresult/6739341/

The version in the tree I have registers a platform device rather than
calling into 8250 directly. That appears to be rather better mannered
than whatever you are building.

If someone has moved from the platform device could they kindly explain
*why* ?

---

From: Geert Uytterhoeven <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 23:06:44 +0200

Hi Alan,

> If someone has moved from the platform device could they kindly explain

commit 7c507e6fe36d8e8f67a06d1f81ddde4d8ecf739f ("MIPS: Octeon: Use
device tree to register serial ports.") in linux-next.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert