Subject: [PATCH net-next 0/8] etherdevice: Rename random_ether_addr to eth_random_addr

From: Joe Perches <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 22:33:04 -0700

net-next commit ad7eee98be ("etherdevice: introduce eth_broadcast_addr")
added a new style API.  Rename random_ether_addr to eth_random_addr to
create some API symmetry.

Joe Perches (8):
  etherdevice: Rename random_ether_addr to eth_random_addr
  ethernet: Use eth_random_addr
  net: usb: Use eth_random_addr
  wireless: Use eth_random_addr
  drivers/net: Use eth_random_addr
  s390: Use eth_random_addr
  usb: Use eth_random_addr
  arch: Use eth_random_addr

 arch/blackfin/mach-bf537/boards/stamp.c           |    2 +-
 arch/c6x/kernel/soc.c                             |    2 +-
 arch/mips/ar7/platform.c                          |    4 ++--
 arch/mips/powertv/powertv_setup.c                 |    6 +++---
 arch/um/drivers/net_kern.c                        |    2 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/atheros/atl1c/atl1c_hw.c     |    2 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/atheros/atlx/atl1.c          |    2 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/atheros/atlx/atl2.c          |    2 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/ethoc.c                      |    2 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igb/igb_main.c         |    4 ++--
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ixgbe/ixgbe_sriov.c    |    2 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/lantiq_etop.c                |    2 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/micrel/ks8851.c              |    2 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/micrel/ks8851_mll.c          |    2 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/smsc/smsc911x.c              |    2 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/ti/cpsw.c                    |    2 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/tile/tilegx.c                |    2 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/wiznet/w5100.c               |    2 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/wiznet/w5300.c               |    2 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/xilinx/xilinx_axienet_main.c |    2 +-
 drivers/net/tun.c                                 |    2 +-
 drivers/net/usb/smsc75xx.c                        |    2 +-
 drivers/net/usb/smsc95xx.c                        |    2 +-
 drivers/net/usb/usbnet.c                          |    2 +-
 drivers/net/wimax/i2400m/driver.c                 |    2 +-
 drivers/net/wireless/adm8211.c                    |    2 +-
 drivers/net/wireless/p54/eeprom.c                 |    2 +-
 drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2400pci.c           |    2 +-
 drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2500pci.c           |    2 +-
 drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2500usb.c           |    2 +-
 drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2800lib.c           |    2 +-
 drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt61pci.c             |    2 +-
 drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt73usb.c             |    2 +-
 drivers/net/wireless/rtl818x/rtl8180/dev.c        |    2 +-
 drivers/net/wireless/rtl818x/rtl8187/dev.c        |    2 +-
 drivers/s390/net/qeth_l2_main.c                   |    2 +-
 drivers/s390/net/qeth_l3_main.c                   |    2 +-
 drivers/usb/atm/xusbatm.c                         |    4 ++--
 drivers/usb/gadget/u_ether.c                      |    2 +-
 include/linux/etherdevice.h                       |   14 ++++++++------
 40 files changed, 52 insertions(+), 50 deletions(-)

-- 
1.7.8.111.gad25c.dirty

---

From: Joe Perches <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 22:33:12 -0700

Convert the existing uses of random_ether_addr to
the new eth_random_addr.

Signed-off-by: Joe Perches <[email-masked]>
---
 arch/blackfin/mach-bf537/boards/stamp.c |    2 +-
 arch/c6x/kernel/soc.c                   |    2 +-
 arch/mips/ar7/platform.c                |    4 ++--
 arch/mips/powertv/powertv_setup.c       |    6 +++---
 arch/um/drivers/net_kern.c              |    2 +-
 5 files changed, 8 insertions(+), 8 deletions(-)

diff --git a/arch/blackfin/mach-bf537/boards/stamp.c b/arch/blackfin/mach-bf537/boards/stamp.c
index c9d9473..5ed654a 100644
--- a/arch/blackfin/mach-bf537/boards/stamp.c
+++ b/arch/blackfin/mach-bf537/boards/stamp.c
@@ -873,7 +873,7 @@ static struct adf702x_platform_data adf7021_platform_data = {
 };
 static inline void adf702x_mac_init(void)
 {
-	random_ether_addr(adf7021_platform_data.mac_addr);
+	eth_random_addr(adf7021_platform_data.mac_addr);
 }
 #else
 static inline void adf702x_mac_init(void) {}
diff --git a/arch/c6x/kernel/soc.c b/arch/c6x/kernel/soc.c
index 0748c94..3ac7408 100644
--- a/arch/c6x/kernel/soc.c
+++ b/arch/c6x/kernel/soc.c
@@ -80,7 +80,7 @@ int soc_mac_addr(unsigned int index, u8 *addr)
 		if (have_fuse_mac)
 			memcpy(addr, c6x_fuse_mac, 6);
 		else
-			random_ether_addr(addr);
+			eth_random_addr(addr);
 	}
 
 	/* adjust for specific EMAC device */
diff --git a/arch/mips/ar7/platform.c b/arch/mips/ar7/platform.c
index 1a24d31..1bbc24b 100644
--- a/arch/mips/ar7/platform.c
+++ b/arch/mips/ar7/platform.c
@@ -310,10 +310,10 @@ static void __init cpmac_get_mac(int instance, unsigned char *dev_addr)
 					&dev_addr[4], &dev_addr[5]) != 6) {
 			pr_warning("cannot parse mac address, "
 					"using random address\n");
-			random_ether_addr(dev_addr);
+			eth_random_addr(dev_addr);
 		}
 	} else
-		random_ether_addr(dev_addr);
+		eth_random_addr(dev_addr);
 }
 
 /*****************************************************************************
diff --git a/arch/mips/powertv/powertv_setup.c b/arch/mips/powertv/powertv_setup.c
index 3933c37..820b848 100644
--- a/arch/mips/powertv/powertv_setup.c
+++ b/arch/mips/powertv/powertv_setup.c
@@ -254,7 +254,7 @@ early_param("rfmac", rfmac_param);
  * Generates an Ethernet MAC address that is highly likely to be unique for
  * this particular system on a network with other systems of the same type.
  *
- * The problem we are solving is that, when random_ether_addr() is used to
+ * The problem we are solving is that, when eth_random_addr() is used to
  * generate MAC addresses at startup, there isn't much entropy for the random
  * number generator to use and the addresses it produces are fairly likely to
  * be the same as those of other identical systems on the same local network.
@@ -269,7 +269,7 @@ early_param("rfmac", rfmac_param);
  * Still, this does give us something to work with.
  *
  * The approach we take is:
- * 1.	If we can't get the RF MAC Address, just call random_ether_addr.
+ * 1.	If we can't get the RF MAC Address, just call eth_random_addr.
  * 2.	Use the 24-bit NIC-specific bits of the RF MAC address as the last 24
  *	bits of the new address. This is very likely to be unique, except for
  *	the current box.
@@ -299,7 +299,7 @@ void platform_random_ether_addr(u8 addr[ETH_ALEN])
 	if (!have_rfmac) {
 		pr_warning("rfmac not available on command line; "
 			"generating random MAC address\n");
-		random_ether_addr(addr);
+		eth_random_addr(addr);
 	}
 
 	else {
diff --git a/arch/um/drivers/net_kern.c b/arch/um/drivers/net_kern.c
index 0d60c56..458d324 100644
--- a/arch/um/drivers/net_kern.c
+++ b/arch/um/drivers/net_kern.c
@@ -339,7 +339,7 @@ static int setup_etheraddr(char *str, unsigned char *addr, char *name)
 random:
 	printk(KERN_INFO
 	       "Choosing a random ethernet address for device %s\n", name);
-	random_ether_addr(addr);
+	eth_random_addr(addr);
 	return 1;
 }
 
-- 
1.7.8.111.gad25c.dirty

---

From: Mike Frysinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 17:51:29 -0400

>  arch/blackfin/mach-bf537/boards/stamp.c |    2 +-

Acked-by: Mike Frysinger <[email-masked]>
-mike

---

From: Felipe Balbi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 13:14:38 +0300

>   etherdevice: Rename random_ether_addr to eth_random_addr

if you're really renaming the function, then this patch alone will break
all of the below users. That should all be a single patch, I'm afraid.

> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
> the body of a message to [email-masked]
> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

-- 
balbi

---

From: David Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 03:29:01 -0700 (PDT)

From: Felipe Balbi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 13:14:38 +0300

> all of the below users. That should all be a single patch, I'm afraid.

It would help if you actually read his patches before saying what they
might or might not do.

He provides a macro in the first patch that provides the old name,
and this will get removed at the end.

---

From: Felipe Balbi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 14:12:19 +0300

Hi,

> and this will get removed at the end.

that's why I put an "if" there. The subject was misleading and I really
couldn't bother going search for the patch on the mail archives.

Anyway, if nothing will be broken then for drivers/usb/gadget/:

Acked-by: Felipe Balbi <[email-masked]>

-- 
balbi

---

From: David Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 04:17:23 -0700 (PDT)

From: Felipe Balbi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 14:12:19 +0300

> Acked-by: Felipe Balbi <[email-masked]>

You need to provide this in a reply to the patch you actually want
to ACK, so that the patch tracking system attaches your ACK to
the proper patch.

Thank you.

---

From: Mark Salter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 08:56:36 -0400

>  arch/c6x/kernel/soc.c                   |    2 +-

Acked-by: Mark Salter <[email-masked]>

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 16:20:00 +0200

>  5 files changed, 8 insertions(+), 8 deletions(-)

Acked-by: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>

Thanks,

  Ralf

---

From: David Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 22:39:47 -0700 (PDT)

From: Joe Perches <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 22:33:04 -0700

> create some API symmetry.

Series applied, thanks Joe.