Subject: development board?

From: Oliver Kowalke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 21:15:00 +0200

Hi,
I'm searching for an development board with a MIPS processor - 1GB RAM 
would be nice but 10/100MBit ethernet is required.
Unfortunately I can't find only ARM boards (100-150 USD).
Could you recommend me a MIPS board for development (I don't want to 
have an old Indigo, O2 or Octane).
thank you and best regards,
Oliver

---

From: John Long <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 11:38:17 +0000

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 09:15:00PM +0200, Oliver Kowalke wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm searching for an development board with a MIPS processor - 1GB
> RAM would be nice but 10/100MBit ethernet is required.

Hi,

I am emailing you from my Lemote Fuloong. It is an 800 MHz MIPS-III+ box. It
has 512M of RAM and comes in a nice enclosure. List price is about $190 but
I have seen some invitations on various mailing lists from Lemote for
developer discounts. http://www.lemote.com/en

If this is too expensive or you really prefer a dev board instead of an SBC
then what about MIPS Malta? They don't list the price on their site but it
is supposed to be a good board with good doc and I believe various BSD
support it in addition to Linux.
http://www.mips.com/products/development-kits/

-- 
ASCII ribbon campaign ( ) Powered by Lemote Fuloong
 against HTML e-mail   X  Loongson MIPS and OpenBSD
   and proprietary    / \    http://www.mutt.org
     attachments            Code Blue or Go Home!

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 14:00:05 +0200

> http://www.mips.com/products/development-kits/

The Malta is very expensive and also is a very old design.  On top of that
a Malta is just an ATX-format base board which needs a CPU card.  A
typical CPU card contains one or two of the biggest FPGAs money can buy
so the CPU itself can be replaced by loading a bitfile.  That is very
appealing to hardware developers but the FPGA dictate a very juicy price.

  Ralf