Subject: [ 3.8.y.z extended stable ] Patch "MIPS: Octeon: Don't clobber bootloader data structures." has been added to staging queue

From: Kamal Mostafa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 15:53:55 -0700

This is a note to let you know that I have just added a patch titled

    MIPS: Octeon: Don't clobber bootloader data structures.

to the linux-3.8.y-queue branch of the 3.8.y.z extended stable tree 
which can be found at:

 http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ubuntu/linux.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/linux-3.8.y-queue

This patch is scheduled to be released in version 3.8.13.5.

If you, or anyone else, feels it should not be added to this tree, please 
reply to this email.

For more information about the 3.8.y.z tree, see
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Dev/ExtendedStable

Thanks.
-Kamal

------

From a884f06ff82f83c2e1a857b060a6a6d411789697 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: David Daney <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 17:28:33 +0000
Subject: MIPS: Octeon: Don't clobber bootloader data structures.
Content-Length: 1425
Lines: 38

commit d949b4fe6d23dd92b5fa48cbf7af90ca32beed2e upstream.

Commit abe77f90dc (MIPS: Octeon: Add kexec and kdump support) added a
bootmem region for the kernel image itself.  The problem is that this
is rounded up to a 0x100000 boundary, which is memory that may not be
owned by the kernel.  Depending on the kernel's configuration based
size, this 'extra' memory may contain data passed from the bootloader
to the kernel itself, which if clobbered makes the kernel crash in
various ways.

The fix: Quit rounding the size up, so that we only use memory
assigned to the kernel.

Signed-off-by: David Daney <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Patchwork: https://patchwork.linux-mips.org/patch/5449/
Signed-off-by: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Kamal Mostafa <[email-masked]>
---
 arch/mips/cavium-octeon/setup.c | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/arch/mips/cavium-octeon/setup.c b/arch/mips/cavium-octeon/setup.c
index d7e0a09..1271047 100644
--- a/arch/mips/cavium-octeon/setup.c
+++ b/arch/mips/cavium-octeon/setup.c
@@ -990,7 +990,7 @@ void __init plat_mem_setup(void)
 	cvmx_bootmem_unlock();
 	/* Add the memory region for the kernel. */
 	kernel_start = (unsigned long) _text;
-	kernel_size = ALIGN(_end - _text, 0x100000);
+	kernel_size = _end - _text;

 	/* Adjust for physical offset. */
 	kernel_start &= ~0xffffffff80000000ULL;
--
1.8.1.2